“Clean hotel, comfy bed, but that's about it...”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
San Diego, California
“Clean hotel, comfy bed, but that's about it...”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked this hotel without knowing which hotel we'd get through Priceline.com. Although we did get the hotel at a significant discount, I was honestly surprised at the 4 star rating.
Not to say the hotel wasn't clean… it was. The staff seemed friendly enough. We didn't ask for anything extra, so only dealt with them at check in and check out.
But… the walls were very thin. We didn't realize, having not been to this area before, that this was a big sporting area and we were around on a game weekend. So, the people who were neighboring us came in late, and we were continually woken up by doors slamming, people talking, water running, and *ahem* even some intimacy. Totally NOT what I want to hear when I'm staying at a 4 star hotel. I would hope that the walls would be thick enough for SOME privacy, for all people concerned.
I also was surprised to learn that this hotel had a $10 parking fee, considering it borders right on a shopping mall with free parking. We did pull into the parking lot, which had the ability to have the gate arm go up and down, but all times we went in and out both the entrance and exit arms were opened and we still got charged the $10 per night fee. There's also big groups of young people walking around, and we didn't ever notice any security for the hotel parking garage. Kind of iffy, if you ask me.
So, yeah. We won't be staying here again. If we were sports fans, maybe. But still, not our scene. Need better privacy, and paying for parking on the "honor system" is totally lame.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurenandmatt
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
laurenandmatt,

Thank you so much for your feedback during your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it only improves us taking care of you...the guest. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the walls in the hotel and the parking garage is actually city owned. We are just fortunate to be attached to it. I will definitely address the parking garage information with my other managers and see what kind of options are available.

Again we appreciate your feedback and we hope that you would come try us again....safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights when visiting to see the Colts play the Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The location is perfect for going to the stadium or seeing a hockey game since Jobing.com arena is even closer. There is also the Westgate area for any type of dining that you may desire within walking distance in addition to the Tanger Outlet Mall. The hotel parking was easy to find therefore did not have to use valet. Parking is $10 per night which I think is very reasonable compared to other places when I've stayed during a football weekend. The hotel is nice and welcoming. There was live music on both Friday and Saturday nights in the lobby. My room was well equipped with the exception of the tv. I had a double king room with a balcony but the tv was tiny for the size of the room. Room was quiet and very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd definitely recommend staying here. I would've given 5 stars if the tv had been an appropriate size.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Whippetguy,

Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your stay with us. I'm glad you had an opportunity not only enjoy our hotel but the area surroundings. I have forwarded your comments about the size of our TV's in the room to our General Manager for review. We appreciate the feedback as it only makes us better to hear what our customers are saying...

We hope that you will stay with us again....safe travels!
Columbia, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times for business, lucky me! They are so friendly and will do anything to keep you happy. We spent many nights eating in the bar area and the food was always fantastic. Plus the bartenders are engaging and friendly. Right next door are shops, restaurants and an outlet mall to keep you entertained, not that you really need to leave the premises. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kelly O
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Kelly O

Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay(s) at our facility. We hope that you will keep coming back and visiting us whenever you can. Safe Travels!
Missouri
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was there for almost a week for a conference. I won't review my room because I was upgraded to a suite and I don't want to make readers jealous. The hotel is nicely laid out with plenty of fast elevators, a comfortable lobby and bar, decent restaurant, and coffee shop with snacks and food items that weren't overpriced.

The fitness center had nice equipment with free weights, machines, and cardio. You can also go outside for a walk or run around the nearby stadiums and shopping centers - sidewalks are a nice touch.

We ate at 3 different restaurants for dinner in the nearby Westgate area - unfortunately all seemed "touristy" and food was hit or miss. For the quality, I would say food at all the places was pricey. For example, a fancy margarita at Jimmy Buffet's went for $9.75 and tasted the same as you'd get in a cheap Mexican restaurant for 2 bucks.

There's nothing else around so don't expect to see much of Phoenix unless you hop into a car and drive back toward the city. This is a good hotel if you're there for a sporting event or are into outlet shopping at the nearby Tanger.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Craig D

Thank you so much for your response in regards to your stay with us. We are glad that you had a great time during your stay and hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Next time we can have our Navigator suggest some other local options for you besides the Westgate area you were in so you can experience some of Glendale's local culture as well which is only 10 minutes from the hotel.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon! Safe Travels!
orlando, florida
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I try to stay here when I can while going in/out of Glendale or the Phoenix area. I like the fact that they offer balcony rooms to let in the fresh desert aire. I am extremely disappointed that they charge you for parking - $15 - even if you stay at the hotel. They are just taking advantage of their location next to the stadium I presume, but be aware of this additional charge. The executive lounge is always clean, well-stocked, and I've found the employees in the lounge among the best Marriott has to offer - in terms of professionalism, efficiency and interest in the guest's experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Rggsquared,

Thank you so much for your response in regards to your stay with us. I do understand your disappointment in regards to the parking charge, but the parking structure that is connected to the hotel is a city owned building and unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to offer complimentary parking. We are glad that you do enjoy all the other amenities of the hotel...we hope that you will come back and see us soon. Safe Travels!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here after a Coyotes game and before a Cardinals game. Great location with plenty of restaurants nearby. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were clean and spacious. Being a weekend, we did not get to take advantage of the Concierge Lounge, but we were given vouchers for breakfast. LOVED the blood mary bar. Also, the bartender in the lobby and pool bar (Melissa) was wonderful! We will definitely return to this hotel any time we're in the Phoenix area!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Shortyck,

Thank you so much for your comments in regards to your stay at our hotel. I will definitely pass this on to Melissa's supervisor so she knows as well! As always....Safe Travels, and we hope to see you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was a pleasure trip for a game at the dome October 26-28, 2013.
Pros: spacious clean rooms, good food, nice courtyard. The jacuzzi located by the pool and fire pit in the courtyard were perfect for the cool October evenings. Easy checkin and checkout. Walking distance to the dome and Westgate entertainment district. There is a Tanger outlet mall across the street if you want to shop. What made this trip so enjoyable were the locals. From the dome to the entertainment district everyone we talked to was amazing. I've never been around a nicer bunch of folks at a game.
Cons: one employee at the bar early evening and one at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. Each of these young ladies should work elsewhere, the frowns and eye rolling at guests shined the one bad light on an otherwise perfect stay.
Will stay here again, easy walk to anything you want to do.

Room Tip: Ask about the view before you choose a room. For us the roof view didn't matter because we didn...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Jayvicki317,

Thank you so much for your response regarding your stay with us. I have passed your information on to our Assistant General Manager in charge of the food and beverage portion of the hotel and will let him know your comments about the staff. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it will make us better in the long run!

Thanks again and we'll see you again soon....safe travels.