“USED TO TOP NOTCH? THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO IN GLENDALE!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Peoria, Arizona
“USED TO TOP NOTCH? THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO IN GLENDALE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have to start by clarifying that this review is specifically for the onsite staff and expriences with Renaissance Glendale Hotel & Spa, and not pertaining to my experiences with Marriott call center for reservations. Booked this hotel for our wedding night and for a place for the bridesmaids to get ready. For those who have done the big wedding, you can imagine how stressful it is and how many little things you forget. The staff was right there to help with everything. When the makeup artist arrived, she needed a tall chair... No worries, the front desk kidnapped one from the bar and brought it right up. As the guy was leaving, I needed ice, but I also had 4 girls and flower girl needing my attention. I asked the guy who brought the chair if he minded. He cheerfully abliged! Quickly he was back with a tub full of ice! I swear I called the front desk about 5 times that morning for matters like that and all were handled quickly and cheerfully. Before we left, I called the front desk to see when room service would be by since the bridesmaids and myself left a mess that I didn't want my husband to have to return to after the wedding. Even though they typically do room service at 9am, they rescheduled our room for a later clean up for a time after we all left the room but before my husband and I returned later that night. The maid left everything very nice for us (would not have known 6 females all got ready at the same time up there lol). Once we got to the venue, we realized we forgot a cooler with the bridesmaids snacks on the luggage cart! No worries again, the front desk located it and had it brought to my room for me. Which each new hiccup that morning, the staff was right there to help us through. What awesome service! And the best part was their cheerful and willing attitude! Not once did I feel bad about having to call them again for anything. Will be staying here again, next time we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsThude
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Mrs. Thude,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a comment about your stay here at the Renaissance. We are very pleased we were able to accommodate all of your last minute needs during your stay and you had a great experience. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Safe Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Had a great time here, Randy the bar tender was awesome, makes a great drink and took great care of me and my friends...Will for sure come back just to have Randy make my drinks again, the hotel was clean the rooms were nice the staff was nice, and the restaurant was good.....but we really had a good time at the pool bar with Randy

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mrs.

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your service with Randy during your stay at the hotel. We will definitely pass this on to him and his boss to make sure he gets the recognition he deserves. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My cousin and I booked appointments at the spa at this hotel for spa week. We made the reservations over a month in advance. When they called the day before our appointments as a reminder, the appointments were incorrect. They were not able to fix them the way they should have been, but did manage to find something we could live with even thought it meant getting there much earlier than we wanted. On the day of the appointments, we were in the car driving there when they called and cancelled one of out appointments. They were not able to book anything else that day that would work for us and did not offer to have us come at another day for the same price or anything at all to try to appease us.
I would never even try to go back here - they are clearly not dependable, and they have a really bad attitude for a spa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
ls04vd,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback for your latest visit at the spa. I do apologize for the challenges you had for your reservations and will follow up with our Spa Manager to investigate what happened. If you can please send me your contact information, I will be happy to have someone call you to rectify the situation.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for spring break so we could be near the shops, the restaurants/bars, and relatively close to Spring Training for the Royals. It is a very nice place with great rooms. We had a King suite which is awesomely huge!!! Loved having an area where knew of us could watch the morning news and read the paper while sipping on Starbucks Coffee (they make them from Starbucks stuff the same way Starbucks does, but no actual Starbucks there) while the other snoozed away. We had a medium sized jacuzzi tub that we did not use.

Pros: The staff was incredible. Heather form the front desk was one of the best "service" industry staff members I've ever encountered. She was midwest friendly, east coast sarcastic, west coast good looking and genuinely cared for the guest. Everyone else we ran into was cry friendly and helpful. The "wireless" internet is only in great lobby unless you pay in your room. Close to everything. Pool looked awesome, but we did not use it.

Cons: They got our room wrong,but fixed it for us (Heather again was incredible). The internet was slow. And REALLY!?!?!?!? We still pay for wireless internet in our rooms?? It's 2014! Lead the way Marriott... lead the way. Very EXPENSIVE hotel. VERY! The spa was a total and complete waste of money. The masseuse was like having someone who had no idea what they were doing rub elbows and stuff on you. Asked them to work on certain areas and they didn't. The spa is amazingly beautiful with great ambiance, but a complete worthless/expensive waste of money/time.

We would stay here again (if we could afford it).

Room Tip: Go for higher floor with corner King Suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Bealll95

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback on your stay. I will definitely share your response about Heather and the spa with our team here so they can address your compliments and concerns. We hope that you will come back and stay with us soon.

Apache Junction, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Don't expect good customer service at this hotel! We booked a room here for the weekend to celebrate my 50th birthday. My wife called to try and get them to put a couple of things in the room for our arrival, but they said they couldn't take her credit card info over the phone or email. They could only do it by fax. Well we don't have a fax at home. The manager, Taylor Keisling, couldn't think outside the box to try and make this work! My wife calls me in tears because she couldn't do the one surprise she was trying to give me. There is no way wew were going to be staying at that hotel because they never offered an apology.

We tried calling Renaissance customer care and didn't get any better service. Even after elevating the concern to a higher level they couldn't provide qualilty service. The customer care suparvisor insulted us by offering a $25 gift card!!! We didn't need a $25 gift card. We needed to be treated well.

My wife travels every week for work and you can be assured she will not be staying at the Marriott family of hotels! Starwood Hotels provide great service. We will just make them our choice for ALL travel plans.

Be aware if you choose this hotel. They don't care about the everyday traveler. I can only think it is because the NHL and NFL put their players up in the same hotel so they feel pretty comfortable not needing travelers like us.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AZTravelers51

I'm sorry that we were unable to accommodate your needs for your stay here. Please know that I will share your feedback with our front office to see if we have any options in case we get a request like this again.

Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night so we could catch some spring training baseball games. The room was fabulous (we were given a free upgrade to a suite since we had been promised a king bed and that was the only room available with a king). The concierge level was included, and the breakfast was free and excellent (complete hot and cold selections). The location was very convenient to many of the stadiums.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
DavSt,

Thank you for your comments during your stay with us for Spring Training. We are very glad you had a chance to enjoy your upgraded suite and the concierge level during your stay. We hope that you will come back soon and see us again.

Beaumont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were there for a three-day conference. We are lifetime, Platinum-Elite with Marriott and understand that there may not be upgrades available, so I asked if there were other "perks" such as waiving the fee to use the spa amenities (not services) and was emphatically informed that the Renaissance was "not a Marriott property, but a franchise" and the only amenity offered was access to the concierge lounge. What a shame they do not take advantage of the Marriott employee training, with the only exception being the bar tenders and the valet parking staff - including the great "lady valets" every employee we came in contact with could have benefited from customer service training. The concierge personnel were woefully under-trained and management does not support them: for instance, the coffee pot has been broken for several weeks and hot coffee is brought from the kitchen in large aluminum pitchers, only margarine is served and if you want real butter "go to the real buffet downstairs." The place needs a thorough cleaning, dusting, polishing - and if you are going to serve candies, make sure the dispensers are filled every once in a while. The interiors of the elevators have not been cleaned since they were installed and one, in particular, had squirts of sticky liquid on the doors from ceiling to floor. Our room could be "spring cleaned" glass on the wall pictures had either "sneeze" blots or drink spots and the glass on the sliding glass doors - both sides - were dirty. Just like the front desk clerk - and the Supervisor - said "This is NOT a Marriott property."

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Jeannemacl,

Thank you for taking the time to post on your most recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay here and that you had to experience some challenges with our staff. Your comments from your stay have already been distributed to all our department heads so we can address all your feedback right away, as this will make us a better hotel. Again my apologies we did not meet your expectations, but hope that you will return to try us again.

Thanks again, and Safe Travels!