“not worth the money spent”

Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix Glendale - Westgate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
kingman
“not worth the money spent”
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I booked this motel in May 2008 because it was one of the closest hotels where I was going to see Neil Diamond in concert. I booked a king size smoking room for one night. The amount total was $235.90. I called to confirm the reservation on Oct. 6th and 9th and my king size smoking was confirmed. However, upon arrival, I was told that there were no more smoking rooms. I explained that I booked in May and confirmed twice. The girl at the check in counter was confused. She asked the manager on duty and she made some clicks on the computer and I ended up in a handicap room suite with two beds. I guess being a smoker, one is considered handicap? The room was clean, however, there were no garbage bags in the trash cans, and no remote control for the TV. I called to inquire about the remote and was told that one would be sent up. After requesting again, the remote control did come, which was over 2 hours after checking in. I have stayed in hotels that provide coffee and a coffee pot, this room did have it, however, it was tasteless coffee and only one package, usually I've stayed in rooms that provide more than one package of coffee and more than 2 cups. The refridgerator was not working very well and was warm (yes, I did check the controls too), the microwave was not very clean either. In looking at what the hotel had to offer, my husband and I went to the "snack" area where it is open 24hrs....which is about the size of a small closet and you pay at a little window next to the front desk and have to wait until a front desk clerk can get to you. What they advertise in their room book is not what they have. We ordered pizza to the room, because the frozen pizza they had in their snack area--over $5 for a tiny 6"!! At least the bottled water was only $1 each, not bad. They advertised that they sold beer and wine in the snack area--this was a lie, the clerk said they hadn't gotten any yet. Well, don't advertise if you don't have it. As for the "continental breakfast"....a total joke. Normally Hampton Inns have a nice spread, however, this one was so lame. Something that was like a fried bread?..ewww, full of grease, I tried to bite into it and instantly stopped, it really was gross. There were no waffles or eggs as they proclaim. The orange juice tasted rancid and the english muffins were really bad as well as the cream cheese for the bagels. The sausage was tastless. Your safest bet is the boxed cereal, however, since the orange juice was rancid, I wasn't going to risk the milk for the cereal. The pastries they provided looked like they were a week old. For the amount of money spent on this one room, and for the area, a rip off. The walls are thin, so if you do stay, I suggest taking ear plugs because you never know what type of neighbors you may end up with. We ended up with some very loud women who kept talking all night. This hotel is close to the Westgate center, Jobing.com arena and the Phoenix stadium, however, do suggest to buy your goodies prior to staying at this hotel. What is provided at the Westgate center is overpriced and since it does get crowded, you are lucky if you are able to get into one of the many restaurants. There are no convience stores nearby. If you are staying there....hope you like overpaying for a room. A disappointment for us.

• Liked — it was close to where I was going to see Neil Diamond
  • Disliked — my room not being what I booked and confirmed twice
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Went with a group of friends to see the Phoenix Coyotes play. The Renaissance across the parking lot didn't provide free parking or free breakfast, but the Hampton Inn did. Even though the hotel is a bit pricy for a Hampton Inn, the location is so ideal for going to Jobing.com. You can walk or take the complimentary shuttle, and the rooms are clean and spacious. I really liked this location, and plan on returning again.

If you want a cheaper priced room, Phoenix has plenty. If you want one that's close to the hockey and football stadiums, this is one of the best locations!

• Liked — Great location close to Jobing.com arena, decent breakfast, nice rooms
  • Disliked — the price is a bit high
  • Stayed April 2008
califronia
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We just got back from a four day stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites. I was there with my mom and two girls. We booked a suite and it was absolutely wonderful. We had so much room to get ready and that was great for four girls. The staff was very friendly and accomodating and the beds were the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I think I found my favorite hotel chain and I won't stay anywhere else. So happy, from california!

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — You could hear people walking on the above floor
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Arizona
Reviewed 14 April 2008

New hotel, so it's still neat and clean. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful, and courteous. I called for two days before our booking to get upgraded from two queens to a king (which wasn't available on the Hampton inn website), but they stated they were sold out. When we checked in, we were given a king - made us happy.

Take your earplugs if you plan on using the air conditioner - it was VERY noisy. The sound proofing between floors leaves a lot to be desired. It sounded like a basketball game was going on above us until 2am - thankfully the a/c blocked most of the noise.

There are rooms on the freeway and rooms facing the city center. There was a Bon Jovi concert one night we stayed, but since we were on the freeway side, we weren't aware of the street/stadium noises.

There are many restaurants in the city center and a lot more on Bell Road just off 101. I'm sure there are also a lot in between. This hotel is a few miles from downtown Glendale which has shops, antique stores, restaurants, and more.

The breakfast was standard "continental" with cereals, yogurt, sweet rolls, muffins, bread, bagels, english muffins, and uninspiring hot items like french toast sticks & sausage or pseudo fried eggs & biscuits with gravy. I like a robust, flavorful coffee (no burnt bean Starbucks for me) and they have good ones - decaf, regular, and robust. The kitchen has a toaster and microwave (for heating rolls and hotter coffee).

Our room was free with Hilton points, but I looked at the prices. They started out at $265 - $300+ a week before our stay; all rooms were $219 the night before we arrived. I'm sure things like the SuperBowl and Bon Jovi concert dictate prices. Prices at other Hampton's along the 101 were priced in the $85-110 range.

There's also a Renaissance Hotel across the street in the Westgate Center - I didn't look at their pricing or amenities.

The pool and spa area are a nice size with lots of tables/chairs and lounges. Good sun from early morning to mid-day with shade later on.

Our pizza delivery person said it took him a long time to get through the concert traffic to deliver our pizza, so you might want to watch when you plan on being out or what events are happening during your stay.

• Liked — New
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple