“Love the food and the salsa!”

Guayo's on the Trail
Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Globe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The chicken chimichanga (stuffed with roasted, shredded chicken and onion) and the chicken stuffed relleno are my personal favorites, and I love that they offer two kinds of salsa, one chunky and hot, and one sweet and savory.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I read about this place on TA and decided to give it a try. We were travelling along the Apache Trail. This was well worth the stop. The menu looked like any other mexican restaurant so I had my doubts when we first sat down. I was really wrong. The flavors were out of this world starting with the salsas (one spicy and one mild) to the main meal. I had the beef enchilada which had a really good mole sauce and the meat was very tender and flavorful. My wife had the cheese enchiladas and also agreed that the sauce was killer. Great place for a quick stop and authentic mexican flavors.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This restaurant is one of many great Mexican food spots in the Globe Miami area, many owned by members of two related families. Prices are always reasonable and service is nearly always friendly.

The families also have dining spots in other areas around Phoenix and Globe Miami Mexican food is well known in much of the state.

There are many debates on the best places, but Guayo's is always at or near the top of the list. On my recent trip, I went with the basics, a bean burro and taco. Both are always great and this visit was no exception.

By no means plush, Guayo's is a comfortable establishment and a good place to go if you are squeamish about more basic types of Mexican restaurants. It is also known locally for its drinks, including margaritas. The place can get crowded, since it is on the road to Roosevelt Lake and can be a special occasion spot for locals.

Eat a light meal beforehand for the best experience and sample three offerings, including the chile relleno, a deep fried chili pepper stuffed with cheese. And don't be afraid to try the green and red chili offerings. The food is not overly spicy, with a few exceptions.

A can't miss appetizer is the cheese crisp, a flour tortilla covered with longhorn cheddar cheese and cooked just right.

Over the years, menus have expanded to include higher-end offerings. I have not tried those dishes. While I am sure they are good, the basic items are simply too tasty to pass up.

1  Thank Beartravel44
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Outstanding Mexican food and great service. Their restaurant (brother's) in Miami, Arizona is the one I prefer.

1  Thank william E
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We spent the day on The Apache Trail and we were famished. The Apache Trail goes right through Globe, AZ, a mining community. Trip Advisor rated Guayo's on the Trail as #1 Restaurant in Globe, so we gave it a try.

We were the only tourists in a restaurant full of locals, which is always a good sign. We were immediately welcomed and seated. Water and those AMAZING flour tortilla chips (with salsa) arrived right away. We had never had flour tortilla chips and they are addictive! (I'm going to have to search for them when we return to Georgia.)

At the waitress's recommendation, we both ordered the special, which was a fried chili relleno stuffed with cream cheese and chicken. Beans and rice were served with the entrees. The rellenos were really good and filling. The beans and rice were okay.

We would certainly recommend Guayo's, but would like to have the opportunity to try some of the other Mexican restaurants in Globe as well.