“Great Sushi”

Nakama Sushi Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #59 of 136 Restaurants in Goodyear
Price range: US$3 - US$25
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Independent and locally owned and operated since 2008. We're a full service restaurant serving a variety of sushi from sashimi to specialty and traditional rolls. Our kitchen prepares many fish, chicken and steak dishes along with appetizers and salads. We also have a full service bar with many specialty and classic drinks including beer, wine and sake. We provide a comfortable, contemporary style lounge and dining area with a red and black theme that includes overhead music and several TV's for your entertainment. Our large patio is available for outdoor dining and parties.
Goodyear, Arizona
“Great Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Nakama has become our favorite local spot whenever we are in the mood for sushi. Sometimes we eat there in their great Asian decor and other times we do take out.

“Great food, atmosphere and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We try and make happy hour for the best pricing on food and drinks. So many memorable sushi offerings, no disappointment on selection. Friends and I try to go a couple times a month.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Certainly Worth Visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

This place features a combination of traditional oriental fare along with a contemporary sushi bar and modern atmostphere. We visited during happy hour and were pleasantly suprised with the prices. We tried everything except desert. The sushi isn't the very best I've had, but the selection, quality, portions, and prices are all very good. The entrees are fairly priced and come with miso soup, which was excellent. I had the salmon, which was served piping hot and came with vegetables and wasabi mashed potatoes, which were outstanding. We tried the lettuce wraps as an appetizer. While loaded with vegetables, it wasn't as tasty as Pei Wei's and I probably wouldn't order it again....The service was excellent and management was very accomodating.

The ambience is nice and the place is small. If you are looking for privacy, the outside patio might be your best option. Otherwise, many of the tables are close enough that you'll hear your neighbors' conversations. The place seemed well used, but was still fairly clean. All three of the Nakama's televisions were viewable from where we sat in the middle of the dining room.

I wouldn't recommend driving across the valley to eat there, but if you are in the area and it is during happy hour I would definitely recommend stopping for a visit. It is a quality business establishment.

Phoenix, AZ
“Trendy, dark & delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

We've eaten dinner here twice and both times were terrific. The service is fast and friendly. They are helpful when asked questions about the different types of sushi. Good variety of drinks & plenty for the non sushi eaters. I had the tempura vegetables as an appetizer and thought they were cooked just right, I wish there were more! We are lucky to have such a good place in the west valley.

AZ
“Horrible Food, Horrible Service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

After eating at this "sushi" restaurant, I find myself queasy and never wanting to go back. When my wife and I first entered the restaurant no one was there to greet or seat us, so we decided to seat ourselves at one of the few tables that was clean sit at. Our server, the only one mind you, did find us and offered to take our drink orders promptly. We had only wanted sushi at first and we figured that preparation of two rolls and two nigiri would not take too long with there being only 4 other customers in the entire place at the time. We had wanted to order something else off the menu, but were not given the chance to because our server was no where to be found in an nearly empty restaurant. The waitress offered us miso soup after taking our order, but was given to us 30 minutes later because she forgot. After about 45 minutes of waiting I asked the waitress for the bill for two teas and she told me that our sushi was finished and she would bring it right now. Well, the sushi did come, but we missing one roll and had I know that I would have refused to accept the rest of the sushi. The salmon nigiri tasted like it had been frozen and was incredibly mushy. NOT VERY FRESH. Our Vegas roll which is fried and should be server hot was cold and left soaking in grease. It was as if the chef left it sitting while he prepare everything else. We did eventually get our second roll, the "rock n roll" which was absolutely horrible. They made it up to us by not charging us the two dollars for our teas and giving us the happy hour prices on the sushi, which was a whopping savings of about five dollars. I would NOT recommend this place to ANYONE. This restaurant is sorry excuse for a sushi joint. I find it hard to imagine how they function when the place is actually busy, and the worst part about is that the other people there had been waiting longer then we had. Terrible, Not Good, Not Fresh.

4 Thank AzFoodSnob