“Not fresh not friendly”

Price range: US$3 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Independent and locally owned and operated since 2008. We're a full service restaurant serving a variety of sushi from sashimi to specialty and traditional rolls. Our kitchen prepares many fish, chicken and steak dishes along with appetizers and salads. We also have a full service bar with many specialty and classic drinks including beer, wine and sake. We provide a comfortable, contemporary style lounge and dining area with a red and black theme that includes overhead music and several TV's for your entertainment. Our large patio is available for outdoor dining and parties.
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The food was mediocre. The service also. Taste like fast food sushi. Frys sushi is better. The manager has no customer service skills. We were seated quick but after waited 40 mins for our food. The longest wait I've experienced for sushi. The prices are not that great even at happy hour, 3 for a Cali roll, 7 for a Vegas roll. If you like real sushi please don't go here.

1  Thank Nuv G
Ruben M, Manager at Nakama Sushi Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

I'm going to preface this by mentioning the fact that our bartender notified me that a customer, after being sat at a table, got up and walked across the restaurant to order two adult beverages from her directly. She kindly explained that she would need to see both ID's, to which he replied "You're not going to make this easy on me." He then returned to his table for one ID and then back to the bar where one beverage was purchased. While that was going on, I had checked with their server to make sure there weren’t any service issues that needed to be addressed, since the drink was not ordered at the table. Everything seemed to be fine, so far. After the food was ordered and delivered within twenty minutes, NOT Forty, the server alerted me that the table had sent back a bowl of Orange Chicken in exchange for Teriyaki Chicken because their child didn't like it. "Ok, No Problem" I said after making sure there was nothing wrong with it, even after it was ordered, made and delivered to their table. We would just replace it with a Teriyaki Bowl. The server also let me know that they were sat just before the end of happy and that their bill needed to be adjusted accordingly, except one item that was order after the initial order. I did that immediately. Once they received their bill, they asked to speak to the manager. When I went to the table, the customer mentioned that he saw a charge for two Teriyaki Bowls. I explained that I went ahead and took off the Orange Chicken Bowl and replaced it with the Teriyaki. This was unsatisfactory to him. He then proceeded to ask to take off the shrimp fried rice, because it was salty. Clearly it was darker than usual, probably from all the soy sauce poured on it. I thoughtfully considered taking that off the bill as well. Very shortly thereafter, I was told that they would pay their bill with both Teriyaki Bowls, but that they were going to contact corporate and also write a bad review on Yelp because they were not happy. I asked her if she was threatening to write a bad review just because they were being charged for what was ordered and eaten? She quickly retracted and question what kind of customer service I was giving. I explained that I really wasn't trying to give poor customer service, but food just can’t be taken off the bill like that if there is nothing wrong with it. I eventually took off the second Teriyaki bowl because I didn't want to make the confrontation uncomfortable for other guests. I was then called back to the table when they noticed that the last item ordered was at regular price. I told them that their server had already told me that this item did not need to be adjusted. This angered him into using profanity. I then said bluntly, “You don't have to speak in that manner. I'll take the two dollars off, just so that other guests weren’t subjected to such erratic behavior. On top of that, I was then told that they know someone that we do business with and they were going to hear about the incident. The entire transaction was closed exactly one hour from when it was opened. Other than the Orange Chicken Bowl and later the Shrimp Fried Rice, not one thing was ever mentioned about the how the food was, but there was nothing left except for the steamed rice in both Chicken Teriyaki Bowls.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Nakama has become our favorite local spot whenever we are in the mood for sushi. Sometimes we eat there in their great Asian decor and other times we do take out.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We try and make happy hour for the best pricing on food and drinks. So many memorable sushi offerings, no disappointment on selection. Friends and I try to go a couple times a month.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

This place features a combination of traditional oriental fare along with a contemporary sushi bar and modern atmostphere. We visited during happy hour and were pleasantly suprised with the prices. We tried everything except desert. The sushi isn't the very best I've had, but the selection, quality, portions, and prices are all very good. The entrees are fairly priced and come with miso soup, which was excellent. I had the salmon, which was served piping hot and came with vegetables and wasabi mashed potatoes, which were outstanding. We tried the lettuce wraps as an appetizer. While loaded with vegetables, it wasn't as tasty as Pei Wei's and I probably wouldn't order it again....The service was excellent and management was very accomodating.

The ambience is nice and the place is small. If you are looking for privacy, the outside patio might be your best option. Otherwise, many of the tables are close enough that you'll hear your neighbors' conversations. The place seemed well used, but was still fairly clean. All three of the Nakama's televisions were viewable from where we sat in the middle of the dining room.

I wouldn't recommend driving across the valley to eat there, but if you are in the area and it is during happy hour I would definitely recommend stopping for a visit. It is a quality business establishment.

Reviewed 5 June 2010

We've eaten dinner here twice and both times were terrific. The service is fast and friendly. They are helpful when asked questions about the different types of sushi. Good variety of drinks & plenty for the non sushi eaters. I had the tempura vegetables as an appetizer and thought they were cooked just right, I wish there were more! We are lucky to have such a good place in the west valley.