Red Setter, Arizona's Riverside Retreat
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Greer
See available hotels
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
X Diamond & MLY Ranch(Springerville)
    Rode Inn(Springerville)
    Reed's Lodge(Springerville)
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsdown the roadgas fireplacethe kitchencolorado riverbeautiful propertyhorseback ridinglove seatenjoyed our stayget awayforestaccommodationslodgeserenitypitsheatingcellloft
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 30 October 2007

I cannot imagine how anyone could not have truly enjoyed the splendid place we found at the end of the "Road to Nowhere"... Let me start by stating that I am a REAL person. An average Joe (so to speak). Not too stuffy and stuck on myself that I would order someone up to kill a spider for me. I can and will do that myself. I do not expect perfection and wouldn't for the rates charged by the lodge. I am flexible and roll with things to find what I need from the experience. I brought my Finacee to the Red Setter for her 40th birthday. We are better for the experience! The place was well cared for and wonderfully cozy. The staff was attentive and fun. Breakfasts are great! First morning we had mushroom and swiss omlettes, bacon, misc. pastries, yougurs, juices, and delicious coffee. The second morning we had breakfast tacos of chorizo and egg with salsa, sour cream, and tomato and avocado. Again a choice of pastries, juices and yogurts and delicious coffee. The sack lunch offered is a whimsical token that is more appreciated in thought than in contents. However, remember its in a sack! Don't be too picky. The room was wonderful and clean. The linens were wonderful back home. The place felt private though it was a full house. The absence of television and phone was wonderful. Cold soft drinks and bottled water were always available. Returning from our daily explorations we arrived to a table in the dining room with cookie jars filled with tasty cookies in 4 flavors as well as misc. other goodies. The grounds are well kept and a great place for romantic walks and alot of quiet time. There is construction going on next door. However, that is life. It won't be forever and it is only Monday through Friday and at least offers a quiet weekend. Construction makes noise. The Greer Lodge down the road has many projects going on and and a full house for dinner in the restaraunt. The Watering Hole was a great place to see the last game of the World Series and manager Steve Hyland did a great job of finding a birthday candle for some delicious french apple pie ala mode in absence of cake. The beer is COLD and the food is good! The pizza smelled great but well... I had a burger.

Often times I will read reviews of products or places as I did with this trip. I am somewhat confused as to who these people are who see things differently yet I will give them their due. I am just glad I am not one of them. Its gotta be tough to have outrageous expectations that cannot be met for the few dollars that was spent. If you want absolute PERFECTION and spoon feeding to boot go spend a grand or two for a weekend somewhere else. The Red Setter Inn is about the best you'll find in Arizona!

2  Thank BillNShell
    Reviewed 21 October 2007

This property has changed hands. The new owner does not pay any attention to detail. There was no staff at the inn at check in time. We had to go to another property down the road, and request admittance to our room. Our room came complete with dust bunnies and mouse drippings. Gourmet breakfasts on the deck are a thing of the past. Guests now receive a voucher to another property for the same fare that is served in every diner up and down the mountain. We were lucky, we had vomit on the floor next to our table. This was not the world class experience that we were expecting and paid for.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    4  Thank Vickijb
    Reviewed 8 October 2007

My wife and I have stayed at the Red Setter at least 40 nights since it opened in '95. A weekend fall foliage pilgrimage from the Phoenix area has become an annual tradition for us over the years along with other random stays throughout all seasons. Each visit was everything one would expect for a place that received a Fodor's 10 Best in the World award in '05. Sadly, that has all changed under the new ownership.

The location and the building are still great, however the soul of what made this the perfect B&B experience is gone. The previous owners/innkeepers, Jim and Ken, consistently provided a comfortable home-away-from-home environment that now feels like a sterile motel that is poorly managed. The staff are well meaning, but lack the attention to detail that you find at a good B&B that is typical of owner-run inns and was exceptional through our many years of staying at the Red Setter under Jim and Ken’s reign.

Over the years, we came to expect such details as soft music playing in the common area throughout the day, Godiva chocolate on our pillow, gourmet breakfasts where Jim would always offer to cook you more, well cared for plants everywhere you looked, family photos and personal decorations, and innkeepers that knew when to leave you alone, but also welcomed the opportunity to sit down and chat about most anything.

This year, under the new ownership, we were greeted with friends who got locked out of their room and nobody available to help them, soap scum on our sink when we checked in and not cleaned through our three day stay, a breakfast on par with that of a good coffee shop with a large sign in the dining room notifying us only one entrée per person would be served, and tacky 'Greer Lodge 373 Road to Nowhere' logos visible throughout this previously elegant B&B property.

Clearly the new owner's are making their mark on this once great place and trying to make it just another piece of a monopoly they are building with lodging in Greer. They truly are turning Highway 373 into a road to “nowhere”, as defined by the Random House Unabridged dictionary being “useless or worthless”.

My wife was in tears this morning prior to our leaving, but not because she was sad that we had to go home. Her tears were for the loss of a great place we can never go back to again. In our hearts our last stay at the Red Setter was last year. This year was our first, and last, stay at the Greer Lodge B&B. However our memories of many great years at the Red Setter will stay with us as we seek out a new special place we can look forward to returning to in future years.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    8  Thank MikeJL
    Reviewed 27 September 2007

Such a disappointing experience ... we had stayed there before under the previous ownership and it was FIRST CLASS. We were expecting the same, but the accommodations themselves have slipped noticeably, as has the food and service. To top it all off, the new ownership had us pay for our cabin in full upon check-in (at first class rates). When we got to our cabin, we were awakened before 7 am the first morning to the sound of heavy equipment putting a road thru the forest approx. 30 yards behind our cabin. They were also putting up a new cabin on the other side of the property and were constructing a foot bridge railing on site at the same time. Three construction sites surrounding us...incredibly noisy! We went down to the office to request they help us find quieter accommodations only to receive an abrupt NO! We asked for a refund ... again, NO...stating you signed a statement when you checked in that said no refunds! We have traveled all over the world and have never received such horrible customer service. There was a point in time where I would not have hesitated to recommend this facility to anyone, however, sadly this is no longer the case!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    5  Thank rph1
    Reviewed 18 August 2007

Just returned from 3 nights at the Red Setter Inn. We were so anxious to experience an "over-the-top" B&B..subsequent to reading reviews stating it was one of 10 best B&B's in the WORLD----not. We found that new owners had taken over in March and are resting on the laurels and hard work of the previous owners.

It was advertized as having free WiF..well that was in the main lodge only; you had to sit in the dining area, and the signal was so weak that no connection could be made.

The breakfast was good but the young server became "very friendly" and spent an inordinate amount of time explaining her illnesses and personal family information.

The "bagged lunch" was okay but the sandwich roll was stale (both days) and no plastic utensils or napkins were provided the first day.

When we arrived our "greeter" was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, large, and had a wonderful private balcony.

The outdoor entry lights were not working and the floor mats were very worn; there were loose pavers, and the general entrance needed "spiffing".

I am only very critical about this visit because of the "high praise" that I had read. The prices are very high when you take everything, or the "total" picture in perspective.

I say to the "new owners (Greer Lodge) pay some attention or you will lose your rating AND repeat guests.

The scenery is beautiful, peaceful, and a true santuary...sorry the rest did not compare.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends