“Keep driving west Jim Gray,s is close by”

Stewart's Petrified Wood
Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in Holbrook
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

What a waste of gasoline pulling off the interstate. I had my doubts right away because of the pathetic homemade dinosaurs along the interstate. Pulled in anyway because we are rockhounds and never leave a stone unturned. After walking in where do I start? The prices are horrendous!! We are rockhounds are familiar with the industry. Their 50% off is a scam because they are 150-200% above what everone else is. The place is creepy and shows a least a decade of neglect. Quality of pieces is sub standard. Good quality pieces are polished not smoothed out and varnished over to giive the fake appearance of polishing.
There is competition in the area and in my opinion all of them blow this place away.

5  Thank rodney01

Reviewed 3 August 2012

A classic Rt.66/I-40 pit stop. A must do. Every time we have been there we were the only living beings evident, except for the large swarm of angry ostriches. (Sign on their enclosure reads "Feed the Ostriches", though there are no further instructions as to what you should feed them. They seemed a big aggravated.)

Amazingly weird displays abound, many of them punctuated by mannequins. Mannequins being eaten by concrete dinosaurs. Mannequins propped up against sun-baked vintage cars, hands (or missing hands) held aloft to greet traffic passing by on Interstate 40.
For some reason, Stewart's is also a museum of Chevy Chevettes-- Remember this automative "classic" from the early 1980s, also known as "Shove-Its"? Several are scattered about the property. On our most recent visit, the store appeared to be closed. Or maybe it was open? Perhaps someone was peeking out at us. Frightening signs threaten you not to bring a backpack into the store. I can only imagine what they do to shoplifters. It was all pretty creepy but in the best, most fun way ever.
Very creative and interesting place. I recommend a stop. Apparently, per their signs, they give out a piece of "free petrified wood" to those intrepid travelers brave enough to enter the store.

2  Thank GhiaGirl
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This place was hands down, one of the creepiest places I have ever been! My life flashed before my eyes on several occasions while we were here and I was constantly assessing for an escape route if necessary (and damnit, I was wearing my Tom's. . .).

When my husband and I pulled up, we were promptly greeted by a lone fellow, who I presume is the owner, and there was no one else around. Shortly after we went inside, a woman materialized out of no where. They both watched us like hawks, which made me feel super uncomfortable.

The inside looked like a large garage sale of rocks, there was also other items, jewelry, and other trinkets littered throughout. There was also a fenced side yard of rocks where the only way in and out of the yard is through the house of rocks. I will say that they have a lot of rocks and petrified wood, but the owner(s) seemed to have limited knowledge of the non-petrified wood items but was willing to make a deal and going for the hard sell. But even the "deals" were more expensive than some of the other petrified wood shops around.

After a few minutes inside I was so creeped out that I couldn't stand it anymore and went out in the front to look around. The yard was littered with random chunks of petrified wood, grass burrs, old cars/buses, handless (?!?) mannequins and other random junk. It was seriously something out of a horror flick. I started taking pictures of the yard because people just wouldn't believe me about this place when we told them about it. That was when I noticed that the woman was standing in the doorway of the house just watching me. I wasn't sure if she was going to charge me for taking pictures . . . or what exactly she had in mind. Luckily, my husband came outside shortly afterward and was ready to go - no petrified wood in hand, but both hands intact - I considered that a success! As we drove away the woman got in her car and drove off down a dusty dirt road and disappeared as quickly as she appeared.

THIS PLACE WAS SO WEIRD, but it is a must-see if you are ever visiting this part of the country!!! I don't ever want to come back here, but I'm so glad that we went solely for the storytelling aspect. Being a horror movie fan, I have to give this place 5 stars for the horror movie creep factor.

12  Thank JTK_SD