“Just Basic”

Magnuson Hotel Adobe Holbrook
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The best that can be said about this motel is that it's very basic. Neither the heat nor the phone was working when we were there, but it turned out that we didn't need either. There was no information in the room about the TV channel lineup, and we could have used more cups.

The desk staff was pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank elect_tron

Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms, somewhat spacious. Quiet lower level no traffic noise. Had other guest with the key for our room actually come in while we wereinside. When I went to office to find out problem, they did not even know I was staying here for the night and had to show receipt.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank mrchase1
Reviewed 24 September 2012

When I arrived I thought oh...The room looks nice. Well the elevation is 5,000+ feet high. That means it gets cold at
night! Well, I turned on heater (I thought) but I could not regulate the thermostat. IThe phone was "dead" so I called the office via my cell phone. I was told with a flat, uncaring attitude that there is only airconditioning. It is Sept 23, and it is chilly! I was told I could not even use the fan, since the airconditioner would be running! The sink is clogged also! What a total disappointment. It is now so stuffy with no air at all. This is also NOT a corporate operated Best Western. It is privately owned! I am very dissatisfied.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank KayeKaye77
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a pre-booked trip on route 66. On arriving at the hotel, the surrounding area can only be described as dismal and is certainly not a tourist destination. Still, with that said, the hotel itself was basic, but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is a help-yourself buffet. Man on front desk recommended that we eat at the Steak house that was more or less next door. Don't bother!!! Service was dreadful, they obviously wanted you to have the more expensive things on the menu as many items were not available. It all seemed a bit too much for the waitress, and given as there were probably only 4 people in the restaurant, I wondered how she would have coped had it been busy!! My husband was also told that with what he had chosen, he was only allowed one trip to the salad bar! In the 19 years that we have been travelling to the States, this is a new one on us!! That aside, would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julieb_10
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on our route 66 tour across the US. Park outside and straight into good basic room clean with decent beds. Not scenic and a short walk from town but trains potters will love the proximity to the rail tracks here. Good value for a quick stop over.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Staying with TA for our accommodation selections we found ourselves at the best western in Holbrook.
Room rate was OK still trying to work out why it's $10 extra for a king as opposed to two queens?
Room was big, clean and the usual best western style.

A few hours after checking in the bed started to rumble when one of the several goods trains went by at the back of the motel.

After the first few you got used to it.

Most motels are along the same stretch of roadway.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Greg8780
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The room was very nice and recently updated with a comfortable decor. The room was also large and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Strangely enough, the ice machine was located on the other side of the parking area, inside the fenced pool, and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to open the child-proof gate in the dark. I really can't find anything else to complain about. This is toward the upper end of two stars motels I have stayed in. The AC worked well and was not too noisy, I felt comfortable and safe staying here. There is a free breakfast but I went down after it closed and just grabbed coffee and a bagel (still available). I would stay there again. It's on Hopi drive along with several other other hotels and cafes. There is a railroad track right behind this motel, and although I could feel when the trains ran by, I did not hear them and it did not disturb my sleep. Based on what I paid through "Name Your Own Price" on Priceline, I feel like I got a great deal with this motel!

Holbrook itself is about half ghost town, like many of the smaller towns in the Southwest that are past their "Route 66" heyday, but I like the quiet nature of this little town.

Room Tip: All the rooms have outdoor entry, so staying near the end might keep the passerby traffic down.