“Sedona to Jerome without a car”
Review of Ghost Town Tours

Historic Shuttle Tour in Jerome, Arizona
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Jerome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are a locally Owned and Operated Tour Company that presents the fascinating history and mysteries of Jerome, AZ! Ghost Town Tours offers Historic & Haunted Tours in the largest ghost town in America. Our tours are extremely informative and full of surprises. Quite often, truth is stranger than fiction.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Sunnyvale, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sedona to Jerome without a car”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

If you're in Sedona without a car :( or don't want to drive, you can still get to Jerome and do the historic tour. I first tried several days with the other Jerome tour company (very visible online), but they didn't have enough people coming from Sedona to warrant a pick up, even though I'm visiting during supposedly "the busiest time of the year." So I made it work on my own by using a new taxi service in Sedona called Sacred Sun run by Thor at 928-202-9394. He picked me up in an '85 luxury Jag and got me to Jerome and back safely for $100. He even did a detour on the way back to Sedona so that I could see Bell Rock and some other views of Sedona I hadn't yet seen. It was a pleasant ride and pleasant conversation with Thor and his partner Jen and they were early for pick up both times. Once in Jerome, Kenny from Ghost Town Tours met me, also early, and connected me with Wreckless Rick who gave us a great tour throughout Jerome that included both history and some ghost stories, such as the famous Cuban queen who ran a bordello there that still stands (mostly) today. Peggy Hicks, the author of The Ghost of the Cuban Queen Bordello, recounts her ghostly encounter with the Cuban queen who was at one time married to Jelly Roll Morton, involved in a kidnapping, and went by several other names. We also visited the copper mines that at one time made Jerome famous with a population of 15,000, a famous junkyard with old cars and trucks (got a nice close-up of a live rooster there!) and the gift shop where I bought the above book. It was an enjoyable day and Wreckless Rick is a font of knowledge and very accommodating. He even took me up to Douglas Mansion after the tour was over for a few extra bucks. Here you get greater insight into the men who ran the mines and how they lived through pictures, displays (including a huge central vacuum and a carbonator), and a great movie of the history of Jerome. What I like most about GhosTownTours is that it is LOCALLY owned and operated so that when the corporate tour businesses come into town, they can't buy out and fire the workers as these folks have already experienced. They are truly interested in protecting, promoting, and sharing the history of Jerome and not just making a buck. So don't miss Jerome when you're in Sedona! It's worth a day trip or even a half a day! I did all of the above from 10 to 2 (minus the drive which is only about 40 minutes). I'll try to post pictures when I get back home.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank bgmoxie

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Reckless Rick :)”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This historical ghost tour began with just the ride up to Jerome from Sedona, the gills and roads up are a bit scary but worth it, the price of this tour was less expensive than most and worth every penny and then some. Our tour guide "reckless Rick" was passionate about the history and really was an amazing tour guide, a must do if in Jerome or in a surrounding city! We were lucky enough have done the tour the night of the blood moon.

1 Thank Maria G
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Loved it :-) and bought a can of roadkill soup”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am sure the roadkill soup is fake + it's probably just a regular tin of soup with a road kill label stuck over it, but I love it. What a unique souvenir! I loved the town of Jerome. Its well worth a visit when you are in Sedona, or Cottonwood (where I stayed) which is near Jerome. The town of Jerome is exquisite - I will definitely like to return there someday. Apparently they have the best Halloween celebrations here and I have never been to a Halloween party (its not big in SA) so someday I will go back, check into a little Jerome lodge and celebrate Halloween USA style :-)

The tours offered depart throughout the day, they are informative, you learn a lot of history and it really makes you enjoy and appreciate the town more. Remember to stop at the Spirit bar for a beer afterwards + meet some locals.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank LaraMostert
Victoria, Texas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Historical Tour”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We did the 5:30pm tour with Kenny. He was very knowledgable about the history of Jerome, and we had a great time. This earlier tour was a bit more historical rather than ghost hunting, which we preferred. We were still given the emf detectors to carry on the tour, and did have one instance where they all went off at once for maybe a minute as Kenny talked about one of the town's historical figures. Would definitely recommend.

1 Thank Kathleen H
Boston, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“awesome ghost hunting tour of Jerome”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was very cool! We decided to try this tour experience when we heard that the terrific guide we had a few years ago was now part of this new, locally owned and operated tour company right out of Jerome called Ghost Town Tours. So we specifically asked for "Wreckless Rick" again. He did not disappoint! We were given "ghost meters" and flashlights and what was really great was that it wasn't a lot of hokey, trying to scare you phony drama stuff. It was real accounts, most of them retold by Rick from other Jerome residents' accounts, many that Rick has spoken with personally! Sometimes, he's been giving a tour and guests at the hotel call him over to tell him what just happened in their rooms! He left it up to us to make our own decisions about why the ghost meters would go off (and they did!) but these real accounts of encounters and sightings, often recurring with different witnesses, were an extremely interesting porthole into the vivid and varied history of this unique part of the story of the American west. My favorite part was perhaps the visit to the Connor hotel and all the stories about experiences in the different rooms-including sighting of David Connor himself I.D.ed in a photograph by two 1st hand accounts-one a small boy of about 8 who didn't even know he as identifying a ghost. Actually, I think the sighting at the Cuban Queen bordello was my favorite AND Rick was So knowledgeable, (he's read every book on Jerome there is...) he was able to tell us the connection between this ghost and location with the start of our American jazz artist "Jelly Roll" Morton! Fascinating! We had such a great experience that we booked the daytime historic tour a few days later. This ghost tour though, was a great tour for the younger members of our family - camouflaged history as it was - and the truth was more entertaining (and creepy too!) than any of those hokey ghost hunter shows. Wreckless Rick's style of just "this is what they said, this is what happened, this is what they saw and heard, this is what I saw and heard on this tour....and then leaving it up to us to make of it what we will....in many ways gave more chills because he lives there, knows the people and heard their tales and delivers them again in very good style, weaving in the background and history as he goes...I highly recommend this locally owned and operated company to any visitor to Jerome-great night, great tour!
PS I also have to say...Rick was very conscious and considerate of our comfort and needs-he timed it so that we were in and out of the comfortable, well heated van (and wired for his miked talk) or inside a haunted site often enough to give us rest from walking or standing and warmth from the February chill. I felt bad for different company's tour group, who we passed several times that night....who were out in the cold the entire 2 hours....Rick never let us tire or spend too long without attending to our comfort....get the best: Ghost Tours of Jerome.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Kimberly V

Been to Ghost Town Tours? Share your experiences!