“Best Mexican Food in a Loooong Time!”

Vaqueros Grill and Cantina
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in Jerome
Description: Take a break from your average Mexican restaurant and come find out what is new and exciting at Vaqueros Grill & Cantina! Under new ownership, Vaqueros Grill & Cantina has taken a different direction by serving quality Mexican 'soul' food with a breathtaking view of the Verde Valley in Jerome, Arizona - a historic copper mining town, once known as "The Wickedest Town in the West." Located on Main St. in the first Safeway building in Arizona, Vaqueros Grill & Cantina invites you to savor the flavor of our house specialty - Navajo Tacos, a creation of Fry Bread smothered with refried beans or black beans, lettuce, pico de gallo and choice of chicken, shredded beef, pork or veggie style served with cilantro rice, guacamole and chipotle sour cream. Suspended above the dining room is a hand forged agave chandelier, lined by a row of hand-blown glass lanterns hung along a set of old fashioned pull out windows. Mexican folk art, Milagro crosses and decorative silver tin ceiling panels surround this festive, locally owned, family friendly, and rustic style restaurant.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Had lunch here and it was incredible! My husband had the specialty Vaqueros Tacos and I had the Blue Corn Enchiladas. We are big-time Mexican foodies and this could beat any L.A. (where we lived recently) upscale or East Los Angeles authentic restaurant! Since we recently moved to Prescott, we will be visiting Jerome at least once a month just to go to this restaurant. We had a wonderful server who couldn't have been nicer (and very helpful with the menu). Don't miss this place!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

After a long hot day of hiking and adventuring we stopped in for a late snack and ordered the garlic cilantro fries; the service was fantastic, the decor was cheerful and the fries were out of this world! A huge serving that stuffed us to the very happy gills - don't miss it!

1  Thank cjevic
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Vaqueros Grill and Cantina is quite small, but if you get a chance, try it. We ate lunch and both of us ordered the quesadillas, my wife the cheese and I the pork. We both had the same problem, too much for us lighter eaters! They were very good, but we probably should have split one. If you are hungry, then it will be just right for you.

2  Thank rmariani
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for lunch because we have heard good things about this place. I guess we hit it on an off day. It was my wife and I and we had been making the circle of the National Monuments in the area which included a trip over the pass on 89A from Prescott through Jerome and into Cottonwood (a beautiful drive if you have the time). I sat down and ordered a drink while my wife made a trip to the ladies room. I was waited on immediately, my drink order taken and delivered shortly after my wife joined me. She was asked for her order and then we proceeded to wait a 5+ more minutes before someone came back and asked for her drink order, and then we waited for that. In addition I ordered a burger - not very impressive or tasty, and she ordered the tacos - again not very impressive or tasty.

It was just an average meal and the service was lacking. I should add, it was not particularly busy that afternoon, there were people in the place with only an empty table or 2.

Will we be back? Not sure. There are other restaurants to check out in Jerome.

1  Thank Al K
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Some of the best shredded beef I have ever had! My favorite are the American style shredded beef tacos, the beef just melts in your mouth. Service is always great. They have a pretty good burger as well.

1  Thank thebigdogal

Been to Vaqueros Grill and Cantina? Share your experiences!