“Incomparable”
Review of Surgeon's House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerome
Surgeon's House
Ranked #2 of 4 Jerome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had written a glowing review on Yelp which was of course was lost when I had to log in. So frustrated I walked away. There is a reason for everything. Last week we stayed at a B&B in NM and realized that Andrea and the Surgeon's House has forever prevented us from enjoying another B&B - they just can NOT compare.

Andrea makes the experience wonderful. She loves what she does and it shows with her customer service, attention to details and warm personality.

The house and grounds are amazing with so much to see and enjoy. There are plenty of spaces to relax and not bump into other guests. Our Maid Quarter room in the front was the smallest and did not have an outdoor space. It was still enjoyable and we were so happy to get it even for one night on our anniversary weekend. The location is great and an easy walk to shops and dining.

The breakfast that Andrea prepared was amazing and so delicious I would have loved to spend hours grazing on all the wonderful dishes - yogurt/banana/granola parfait, poached salmon, homemade salsa and relishes, roasted cauliflower, breakfast burritos, marinated/sauteed mushrooms, cornbread and the dark chocolate rainier cherry bread pudding was to die for. Yes, months later I remember every bit of that meal.

This was my husband's first time at a B&B. Just can't try any more since they won't measure up.

We are looking forward to staying at the chauffeurs quarters in the future for the amazing views and Andrea's breakfast.

Room Tip: Chauffeur's quarter is the most private, has private green space and great view from balcony. M...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BahamaDreamin
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I had to laugh with surprise and joy when I read your detailed memories of your breakfast. That's just wonderful and it fills my heart and makes me feel that sometimes I get it right. I'm so happy that I've spoiled you, because that is exactly my intention. Everyone needs to be spoiled every once in a while. It's just who we are as humans. Please come back soon!

There are newer reviews for Surgeon's House

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We loved watching the sunrise from the chauffeur's quarters. It was peaceful to read and relax outside. Andrea let us watch her hand feed the koi. We are looking forward to coming back in the spring when the tulips are in bloom!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Aren't the sunrises delicious!? I like to think they're food for the soul. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're thinking about coming back for the tulips. You must have seen their pictures on the website. They are stunning! However, you don't have to wait until next spring . . .

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Surgeons House had caught my eye every time we come to Jerome. This B & B sits on a hillside with beautiful gardens.

Andrea our hostess greeted us at the front door when we arrived. The house is just as beautiful on the inside as on the outside. We didn't know what to expect as this was our first stay at a B & B. We explored the house and gardens, with a glass of wine. The view from the Surgeon's House is amazing.

Breakfast is served at 8:30am. You have heard the saying "Eat like a King at Breakfast" Andrea treats you like royalty with her amazing breakfast feast fit for a King.

Our stay at the Surgeon's House was a wonderful experience and we look forward to our next visit. Thank you Miss Andrea.

Room Tip: Any room you choose at this B & B is wonderful. Jerome is very quiet and the view is amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that your first experience at a bed and breakfast was a pleasant one and that you will come back and visit us again. I'm also glad that you thought the experience was "fit for a King". I also try my darndest to make it fit for a Queen!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We showed up to Jerome with no reservations. Never being there before we didn't know what to expect. One walk past this place we knew it was where we needed to be. We were the only ones there and as Andrea said it was like staying with an aunt with no nosey questions. I had never actually stayed at a B&B before thinking B&B owners were weird. Well, Andrea is weird, but in a very good way that I liked. She's Jerome weird? Anyway, hanging on the patio over the garage, waking up to the sunset (and lying in bed for hours after), and having one of her breakfasts has made all right in the world. She let us check out all of the rooms when we were checking out. Each cuter than the last. Did I mention her breakfast?

Room Tip: They're all pretty amazing. Back Maids room is pretty awesome.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hooray! hooray! What a blessing to have you just stumble upon us and share the magic that is Jerome in the summer. I just have one question - did you wake up to the sunset or the sunrise? Either way it's a beautiful experience when you look out at that view! Please come see me again now that you know where I am. The magic awaits . . .

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We rarely stay at B&B's, but decided to make an exception for this exceptional property. Why would you want to stay here if you visit the Verde Valley/Sedona area of Arizona? Simple, you will be transported to another time, to a world past. Did it remind me of my grandmother's house, absolutely, and there is nothing wrong with that. The Surgeon's House has been reconstructed over the past 22 years by Andrea Prince and it has been done with loving care.

There are three areas on the main floor where you can lose yourself reading and taking in the views of the Verde Valley from nearly 5,000 feet high on the side of Cleopatra Hill. Or, you can peruse the many paintings, objects of art, photos, or plants that are arranged throughout the Surgeon's House. The grounds surrounding the Surgeons' House must be discussed. Andrea took a bare canvas and turned it into a garden to become lost in. There is a fountain, two koi ponds, shade trees for summer use and it seems truly that you and your companion are the only people on the planet.

Andrea will great you at the door, or meet you for a walk around the property. Breakfast is at 8:30 and do not miss it. I use the term simple fare as a compliment, as she puts a number of dishes together with such perfection and subtle combination of flavors and smells.

We stayed in the Master Suite, which was quite large, with a connecting sitting room, ceiling fans and air conditioning. Off of the suite is a large balcony with a clear view of the Verde Valley and the Red Rocks of Sedona. Other guests were equally happy with the rooms they stayed in.

How to describe Andrea? Let us just say that she will amaze you with her hospitality and energy. Her goal is to make your stay perfect. She treats you as one of the family. She achieved that with my wife and I on our anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Bless you for your gracious review. You have described the experience that I strive to provide for my guests. I view the Surgeon's House as a kind of sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of your life. It's a place and a time to rest, be surrounded by comfort and beauty, and replentish the spirit. I look forward to hosting you again - maybe on your next anniversary?

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I have always loved Jerome but never stayed here, we often noticed the magnificent gardens so this time we booked a weekend with Andrea. The experience has us hooked, never again will we stay anywhere else!
The gardens are incredible with little oasis everywhere, cool art, beautiful views...so inviting and relaxing. The breakfasts were amazing...simply the best meal of the day. Her kitchen is perfect for guests with coffee and noshes ready whenever you like.
Andrea is a wonderful hostess that helps you with anything needed. She makes her home an inviting place to come and feel totally welcome. The room was wonderfully appointed and we are going to miss the days we spent here.
We are coming here whenever we stay in Jerome, now we have two reasons to come into town.

Thank you Andrea...Dave and Tara.

Room Tip: The back Maid's quarters.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

You are most welcome! And I would like to thank you for being such gracious guests. I'm happy that you took the time to explore the gardens, because spring is just a magical time. Everything is so lush this year! I just love it. Please come again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I just returned from a one night stay in Jerome. I suggested to my mom and our friend Herb we make a quick jaunt to Jerome for no particular reason. Between the 3 of us we have visited B&B's and 5 star hotels on every continent (except Antarctica) and we all agree the Surgeon's House is, without a doubt, the best B&B we have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Andrea was away, but Denise welcomed us into this treasure. My mom, a woman with a green thumb and a picky nature, was enchanted by the extensive collection of houseplants and when she wandered out to the garden I knew she was won over. The gardens are amazing. I happily spent several hours just sitting under a tree listening to the birds singing and the water gurgling in the Koi pond. In the evening we sat in the living room chatting and drinking wine provided by the Surgeon's House before moving up to the private balcony to star gaze. I wanted to partake of the snacks that were available, but I was too full from dinner, as Denise had pointed us to a wonderful place to have a meal. We had a good laugh about the tiny, tiny bathroom downstairs. It had to be the cutest bathroom in the world. In the morning we had a spectacular breakfast. As we were the only three guests we assumed breakfast would be a simple affair of store bought pastries and coffee! Heck no! Denise made 9 different dishes - from grilled asparagus to stuffed tomatoes. My mom said "I don't even think I like stuffed tomatoes but I couldn't help but eat the entire thing" Denise went out of her way to help us print tickets to the Verde Valley Railroad. We spent a few more hours after breakfast relaxing and reading in the garden with the two resident cats until we finally had to leave. While I brought my own book it would have been ok if I hadn't - there are hundreds of books in the house. My only complaint was we couldn't stay longer. I needed a least two more days just to look at all the artwork! There is artwork everywhere! The mosaic mural is world class art. There are paintings, drawings, sculptures and ironwork everywhere! I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Every room here is amazing
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
JeromeHostess, Owner at Surgeon's House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. It's taken twenty plus years to get the Surgeon's House to the condition it and the grounds are in. It's been a step by step process. Every plant - every piece of art. It's easy to get lost in the process and not see the totality of the end result. Then someone like yourself comes along and helps me see the whole thing with fresh eyes. Again - thank you very much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jerome
Pines Motel
#1 of 4 in Clarkdale
The Iron Horse Inn
The Iron Horse Inn
#1 of 7 in Cottonwood

Been to Surgeon's House? Share your experiences!