“Wow! I love the hotel. Especialy the classic music they play almost everywhere in the hotel.I miss the hotel everyday.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Braamfontein
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Protea Hotel All Suite is the best hotel in Johannesburg. I really love the hotel, especially that they play music everywhere, classic music e.g in the elevator, toilet etc. The hotel has a very good big space. The service was the best part too, they just know how to take care of their people and everybody is friendly. Everything was excellent in this hotel and my dream is to have my honeymoon there oneday. I am really in love with the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are the best option. You get the view the street how busy it is in the mornin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Durban
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed just one night at the Parktonian as we were in the city only for the weekend to see "Starlight Express" at the Joburg Theatre just up the road.
The Protea Hotel group have done a wonderful job of restoring the interior. Check-in was swift and efficient, and the staff were friendly. In the elevator up to the 23rd floor, I warned my companion not the expect the same elegance in the room, which I was expecting to be drab and dated.
We were both pleasantly surprised. The room was evidently recently re-decorated, and the striking artwork in the lounge was a vivid representation of the Nelson Mandela bridge. The bedroom and bathroom were tasteful and inviting. The view from the balcony was not what I had requested in my booking. I'd asked for a CBD view, and our suite had a Braamfontein view. Ah well, I thought. Perhaps they thought I meant the Braamfontein CBD and consoled myself with the view of my alma mater Wits University up the road.
The staff were efficient at getting local taxis for us, and the late-night club sandwich from Room Service was well-presented and tasty. I guess it's impossible to keep hot beverages hot during a Joburg winter.
There were, however, two unfortunate glitches that point fingers at the service.
Soon after we arrived, I used the in-room facilities to make tea and coffee and used almost all of the single-serving creamer packages provided. When we left the hotel to go and book tickets for the show, I asked a cleaning lady in an adjacent room if she had any more little packaged milks so we could have coffee in the morning. She promised to bring some up and leave them in the room.
By the time we returned from the show, the milks had still not arrived, though, so I thought we'd order continental breakfasts from room service which would provide coffee and function as an alarm since our phone was out of order. I filled in the order and hung it on the door handle. Even though Room Service brought a late-night snack, and a Sunday newspaper was pushed under the door, the breakfast order was not collected by 3 a.m. as promised. In fact, it was still hanging on the door in the morning, and we had to order our morning coffee (which arrived late and cold) by calling Room Service.
My second gripe is that when checking out, we were told that there was still R20 on the account for the razor and toothpaste I'd obtained from reception. I had in fact paid cash for these items. As we were late for the bus, we didn't argue but offered a R100 note, but then they could only find R60 change, so we ended up paying a total of R60 for these items. My last words to the receptionist were that this was the most expensive tube of toothpaste I had ever bought. She said "I'm so sorry about that" but it didn't exactly console me.
Nonetheless, I'd stay at the Parktonian again in a flash. It's a civilized haven in a very convenient location to all the craziness that Babylon Joburg has to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlesk199
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Your comments are well received and we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
The in-room facilities regarding tea/coffee supplies and the breakfast card not being collected have both been address with the necessary Supervisor and Managers.
The hotel is constantly being upgraded and on you next visit you will see a change has been made to the front of the hotel. We look forwarad to seeing you again.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

At protea parktonian we'd a rapid check in, good room conservation (although 90's decoration) excellent cleaning and meals offered at orchard restaurant, polite and helpful staff. The choice for this hotel is proximity to city tour bus
www.citysightseeing.co.za and free shuttle from hotel to Gautrain Station.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Manalex133
Ddebbie P, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Manalex 133. Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. Your comments are useful to others who may wish to have a true "Jozi" experience whilst in Johannesburg. Please be advise that we are busy with a rebishment programme inall the rooms which we hope to have completed by April 2014. All the rooms will have new sitting room furniture and the bathrooms will be completely redone. We hope to see you back in our hotel on your next visit to South Africa.
St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have stayed at the Parktonian a few times over the years. The rooms are very large with great views, especially if you are higher up (obviously!). The lifts are showing their age, slow and unreliable. Annoying the way the electronic keys tend to fail causing those unnecessary trips back to reception that you never want. The internet is supposed to be free but after using it for a few hours I passed the allocated allowance and was changed for the remainder of the day, and it was not cheap! Service is only average these days. They are doing some work on the place at the moment (June 2013) so plenty of hammering and banging on the 18th floor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel offers good value for money in a very convenient location. The rooms are large and very clean, if a little old fashioned. The staff are very helpful. Free parking is offered in the building next door with direct access to the hotel. Lovely views, especially at night! The restaurant is a little pricey so watch out for that!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We ended our South Africa trip with a night in the Parktonian. The location is excellent - we loved wandering around Braamfontein. I almost wish we'd spent our entire time in Joburg staying here - if only it weren't so expensive. The staff were helpful and accommodating - they let us change our checkout time to 5:00pm because we were catching an evening flight, and they didn't charge us extra! Our room was huge, with a separate bedroom and sitting area, and the view from our balcony was incredible. There's also a rooftop area with an even better view.

Skip the restaurant - much better options elsewhere in Braamfontein.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We got a weekend for free at the hotel but only stayed 1 night. It seems only the foyer and rooftop were revamped and the rest of the hotel is still grotty. The lifts were scary to ride in with the lights going off for a few seconds at a time, the rooms, although seemingly clean, definitely need an upgrade. The choice of decor makes the suite look like a dodgy motel, the kitchenette had nothing in it but some coffee stuff and 2 wine glasses, and the windows were dirty with paint peeling off them. Parking is a mission as you have to drive off the hotel premises and then walk back to the hotel rooms. The one nice thing was the delicious cheese burger we ordered from room service, but even that became a problem as they wouldn't put it on our room tab but rather ran up and down until someone bought a speed point to the room so we could pay on the spot. The staff at front desk were quite friendly. We definitely did not have to think twice about giving our second night there a skip, free or not!
Note for tourists...you cant leave your hotel and walk on the street there

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lee-Annabelle109

Travellers are raving about these Braamfontein hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braamfontein
The Bannister Hotel
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
#34 of 70 in Johannesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite? Share your experiences!