“Warm and friendly service”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Braamfontein
Abuja
“Warm and friendly service”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent and friendly staff who were always willing and promptly responded to our needs. Clean rooms and
good restaurant. Conveniently located and close to many of the major malls in Johannesburg .On the whole good value for money. Will definitely visit again!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Dennis Z. It is always great to receive such positive comments from GUESTS who have stayed at our property. The fact that you mentioned good service from our staff is very satisfying. Your comments will be posted on our staff notice board for all staff to see. We hope to see you in our hotel again in the future. Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The room is very spacious and allow even for two people to use the working desk at the same time. The shuttle service is outstanding. There is nearly no waiting if one tells them the time and where to go.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Renate3. Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. It is always appreciated when GUESTS put in the effort to tell us which areas of our business are working well so that we can continue with the service, and even attempt to enhance the service.. We hope to see you back in our property again real soon. Regards Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My room in the all suite hotel was dated and the net curtains sure needs a clean. The shower rose was very small and did not work properly. The plastic shower curtain was also old and I did not appreciate having it brush against me every time I turned. The suite otherwise is very spacious. The food in the hotel is good and the portions generous. Breakfast has a very wide variety and can be recommended. The area around the hotel is not very safe at night. The pool area is very nice and when in the pool you have a nice view of the city. When I was visiting the roof top bar was not open.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is quite high because of the road noise. Rooms ending with 09 and 10 (e.g 2309,2...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. From you comments it is clear to us that you were not given one of the refurbished rooms. We presently have 7 floors refrubished and would suggest that on your next stay with us you request one of these rooms. Your comment regarding the shower rose and shower curtain have been replaced in the new rooms, and the a glass sliding shower doors are a huge improvement. The curatins will most certainly be addressed. Thank you for your kind comments about our food. ALso please note that we do have a complimentart shuttle bus in the evenings taking GUEST to/from areas of entertainment should you not wish to walk or drive in the evenings. We sincerely hope you will return to our hotel and allow us the opportunity of showing you the "improved Parktonain". Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed one month at the hotel and my first impression was 'okay'. The entrance was not impressive/fancy compared to the other protea hotel my friends were located at. The rooms were large with with an office table, a kitchen 'bar' and a separate bedroom. However, they looked like they have aged and have not been subject to a renovation for a long time. The carpet itself could tell. I was deceived by the very small bathtub and the old shower where the water would hardly come out. I had to make a complaint to get it replaced but it was not better.

I thought the Iron room next to my room was fantastic! when I went there, I couldn't find any iron and called the reception. They just told me that an iron is only available on 2 floors out of the 20+ floors. What is the use of having an iron room on each floor? I don't think this would cost much to the hotel to get one on each floor like it was supposed to be anyway.

I tried to give the hotel a chance but they kept disappointing me with the serious face on each staff's face when 'welcoming' you for breakfast. Another day I had my breakfast packed and surprise, they gave me expired (1 week exceeded) yoghurt! Okay this could be a mistake but they served me expired yoghurt for 2 consecutive days..They also missed my breakfast pack several times though I made my request only a day before. You don't just write my order on a piece of paper and get it misplaced, I couldn't even see a proper file for taking orders.

The big lady (bossy type) at the reception was rude and was asking irrelevant stuff when I was already being assisted by another receptionist. Fortunately a handful staffs were nice and welcoming. One night (around 9h30), 2 hotel male staffs knocked at my room though I had the 'Do not disturb' sign on the knob. When I asked what the matter was, they just told me if everything was okay. You don't knock at a door at 9h30 p.m to ask a guest if he/she's okay, especially if the guest didn't wish to get disturbed. I thought it was fishy and called at the reception to know if this was a normal procedure. Without any apology, I was told that their system showed that I should have already checked out and they noted activity in my room. (I was not leaving until 3 more weeks).

The last most dramatic inconvenience encountered was when I was returning back to my room after a day at work. I noticed that my door was slightly open, probably by the maid who didn't close my door properly. My room is just at a point of entrance where everybody must pass by to get to their rooms and anyone could have get inside. When I placed my complaint, they didn't apologise and asked if I was sure that I wasn't the one forgetting to close the door. Which was not the case as I left a whole day and the room was already done when I came back.

I was reluctant in making this review as I always think that there is no perfect place. But for a re-known hotel like Protea, I was really disappointed and they have exceeded the number of chances I gave them to catch up. I wouldn't mind coming back if they make an effort for all the inconveniences I had to encounter, but this will not happen in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Tysta. Thank you for your Review, although it certainly was not a Review we are proud of. Many of the unacceptable issues which you mentioned are certainly not what we should be offering in a 4 Star property. There is really no excuse for expired yoghurt (on more than one occasion), and for rude staff. It is also not our standrad to leave a GUESTS door open after cleaning the room. It is obvious that your stay with us was unpleasant and that so many things happened which were unexpected. We have conducted a full investigation which has resulted in having to address lack of controls and managment in certain areas of our hotel. We understand that apologies after the event do little to build your trust of our property, but sincerely hope you will allow us to offer you a complimentary nights stay in the hopes of reversing the sad memory you have of our hotel. Regards Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Braamfontein hotels

Port Louis
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in protea all suite for three weeks. A nice location and in a safe area. All the room are all suit.. Nice view of Jobrg from our room. Breakfast is excellent with a wide variety to suit the need of each visitor.roof top lounge bar and swimming pool. Free shuttle service in the evening to sandton and Mandela square. The staff are very friendly. Visitors from all around the world staying there. All the major attracting within reach within a reasonable time through coach.. The drivers are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Pravin22. Many thanks for your Review and your positive comments. We will certainly pass them onto the staff who were responsible for making your stay with us a pleasant one. Always good to hear that visitors did a lot of sightseeing and made use of our services in that regard. We do hope you will return to our hotel sometime in the future. Regards Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
Durban, Kwazulu-natal, South Africa
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Second time I stayed at the hotel. Nicely located and service is efficient and staff friendly. Rooms were clean spacious and had a gym on the top floor with a good view of johannesburg city. Enjoyed my stay there both times

• Stayed November 2013
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear DhirajR. SO good to see you back in the hotel. Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to see that our standards are being maintained and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you AGAIN in the future. Best Regards - Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Rooms were a nice size, clean, and comfortable enough for the price. The location is convenient to the University of Witwatersrand, and the hotel provided free transport there and back when my meeting got out after dark. The restaurant was very good and the service better than average.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Many thanks for your encouraging comments. The complimentary transport was introduced due to the many visitors which we receive from the University of Waitwatersrand. Your appreciation thereof makes our decision to offer the complimentary transport the correct one.
We hope to see you back in our hotel in the future and you will notice a positive change has been made to the front entrance of the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braamfontein
The Reef Hotel
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
#34 of 68 in Johannesburg
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite? Share your experiences!