“You can do better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East London
Chimney's Guest House
Ranked #12 of 143 East London B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“You can do better”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I was really disappointed in this establishment. It looked reasonable from the website and was located in the area I wanted to be in and had one previous rating on Tripadvisor that looked fine. However, I was left with the real impression that everything is done on the cheap.

It all started with a call from my travel agent at 5:35pm asking where I was as the guest house was asking. Luckily I was only 10 minutes away as, upon inquiry, I was informed by the lady running the place that they close at 6pm! What sort of accommodation establishment closes at 6? Especially one that caters to business people. Needless to say, she could not get me into my room fast enough and leave. It was then that I discovered that there was no soap in the bathroom (only a few tired looking sachets of bath foam which I am not sure why they were there as there was only a shower!). Also, while there was wifi (although the signal was very poor), I could not locate the password anywhere (and certainly not where they later told me it was recorded) and thus no internet. Also, there was a leak in the bathroom plumbing and it flooded the bathroom. They did fix this the next day.

The rooms also had a very musty smell. Clearly they are not aired regularly.

The room itself was clean but everything was rather threadbare. Only a single bath towel was given and it too was very thin. A small built in desk was cluttered with a microwave and a kettle. There was some sort of machine running loudly outside my room window for the two nights I stayed there.

I went out in the evening and on the first evening I was somewhat surprised to find the access through which I had entered upon arrival now locked so I had to find my own way round the side through the garden. It had been raining and there was no proper lighting especially down the steps which were dark, wet and slippery. Actually very dangerous.

The breakfast was fine and the fresh fruit was good. However, not once did the lady in charge actually move from her office and chat to the guests or check whether everything was in order. In fact, she had a decidedly disinterested demeanor and on the firm morning she sat in her office doing email in what is really the only busy time of the day one would suspect. On the next day she sat checking Facebook! While I must admit that the issues raised the first day were attended to, I would have expected that the person in charge would at least check up that everything was in order the next day.

To cap it all, on night two, now armed with the wifi password, I found that there was no signal in my room!

With an abundance of guest houses in East London, I definitely will not be returning to this one!

Room Tip: The best advise I can give is to go to one of the many other similarly priced guest houses in East L...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterGrobler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
East London
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I got the chance to stay at this lovley little place, and must say it was soooo nice, Breakfast filles you up till lunch time, the rooms are sooo well done and classy, will go back again, Just Loved it all and all

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple