“SECURITY A HUGE PROBLEM”

Road Lodge East London
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I am a frequent guest at the Road Lodge in East London and have always found their staff to be AMAZING! However, on the night of 16 December 2012 at 01h30 I was awoken by the opening of my double locked bedroom door and had three people (2 men and a woman) walk into my room! I went berserk and managed to get them out before they had time to do whatever it was they had intended to! 10 minutes later the phone in my room rang and a man said he was sorry it was a mistake.... Damn right it was!! Keeping in mind that I was in a room on the ground floor and about three doors down from the reception desk - one has to wonder at the lapse in security. The next morning I complained to the receptionist on duty... Eventually I spoke to a Duty Manager - his explanation was that the security guard had been given the master key and sent to get linen from the linen room, on his way back to reception 2 people stopped him and said that they had locked themselves out of their room and indicated to him that room 10 (my room) was in fact theirs. Without checking whether or not they were actually guests the security guard had used the master key (over riding the double lock) and let them into MY room. As a woman on her own (my husband was in hospital – the reason for my stay) I was horrified. A half-hearted apology was all that I received. I had no choice but to spend one more night at the Road Lodge - with the door barricaded with a chair :(. I then managed to get accommodation at the Blue Bend B&B in Beacon Bay where I stayed for a further 7 nights - while slightly more expensive it was worth every cent. Road Lodge (City Lodge, etc) will never again see me in ANY of their properties.

Room Tip: Not a safe place for a woman on her own to stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank TNT-Jhb

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We(myself and hubby) stayed and East London Road Lodge for 4 days from 29 Dec - 2 jan 2013.The staff was so professional and neat.

The lodge is safe and clean. I highly recommend this lodge especially if your budget is tight but you don't want to compromise quality and safety.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank SIYANDA N
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Very basic, small rooms with pretty awful decor, but the price is reasonable and it is nice and clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Room was clean although tiny.
Worth it if you just passing through and need to put your head down for a few hours

• Stayed: January 2012