“Road Lodge East London”

Road Lodge East London
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When going home to East London we hardly ever stay with family but chose to stay at the Road Lodge instead, very convenient and as we have enjoyed the one in CT for years this was an easy option for us. Child friendly with a pool for cooling off, very nice verandah for meeting and greeting friends and family with friendly manager to boot! We arrived with a small baby the first visit and we were assisted with a camping cot for him arranged by the manager. You can order in and breakfast is really nice and value for money. It is well situated within an arms length of Vincent Shopping Centre and around the corner from the Guild Theater where there are lots of summer plays and shows.

All in all very convenient with access to and from the premises via camera and security at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the middle of the row so you do not get disturbed by people in the restaurant...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Odette v
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge East London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We thank you for the great review. We're happy that you found the staff friendly and accommodating, and we're glad you had a relaxing time in the pool. We hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Since ever i started travelling i have never ever been so humiliated,terrified, shocked, by how they operate, staff not friendly, the room yoooooh, horror, the rooms are so dirty, dirty its even an understatement, those rooms need a health inspector, the service is out of warranty, very very pooor

Room Tip: i cannot advice anyone to go and book there, if the car is broken on the road, rather sleep in your...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Joey L
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge East London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for the review. We sincerely apologize for your bad experience. We will most definitely look into this, as we do with these matters.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stayed there for one night just to have a bed between two very long road rides. For that, regarding the low price, it was absolutely ok. Rooms are quite small, also the bathrooms. It's a budget hotel, an usually if you check in to a road lodge, u know what u get. so: we can't complain. didn't have breakfast over there - a mall is 5 minutes by car with a mugg&bean café.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveladdicted4ever
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge East London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thanks for your review - we are glad that our hotel met your needs.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Im always happy to stay at the Road Lodge. The staff is always friendly helpful. The hotel is also situated at just the right spot, central to a number of shopping areas and amenities. Road is convenient for all guests, whether one travels by car or a public transport. I will definitely recommend it, especially with its affordable prices.
Linda Bungs

Room Tip: There is a room that is just behind the reception block, room 13 I think. It has more space than the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda B
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge East London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Small rooms but I was traveling solo which helped. The Aircon worked well , there is a small chair and built in desk with UK and Continetal power points. TV with national channels and radio only. Staff were friendly and helpful . Rooms were serviced and cleaned well. Breakfast was sufficient including scrambled eggs and sausages. Secure parking. A little bit away from the hub of the city. After 5 days the flights of stairs to the top floor became tiresome. The bowling club nearby offers cheap drinks and food.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are NO lifts at any Road lodges - should you be infirm or not able to climb stai...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RENSHAWWELSH
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed there during Ironman 70.3 in Jan 2012. It was out of the way, and you have to drive everywhere. The rooms are very basic and small. The bed was uncomfortable. There are no amenities in the rooms – no kettle, no fridge etc. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Mia K
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I am a frequent guest at the Road Lodge in East London and have always found their staff to be AMAZING! However, on the night of 16 December 2012 at 01h30 I was awoken by the opening of my double locked bedroom door and had three people (2 men and a woman) walk into my room! I went berserk and managed to get them out before they had time to do whatever it was they had intended to! 10 minutes later the phone in my room rang and a man said he was sorry it was a mistake.... Damn right it was!! Keeping in mind that I was in a room on the ground floor and about three doors down from the reception desk - one has to wonder at the lapse in security. The next morning I complained to the receptionist on duty... Eventually I spoke to a Duty Manager - his explanation was that the security guard had been given the master key and sent to get linen from the linen room, on his way back to reception 2 people stopped him and said that they had locked themselves out of their room and indicated to him that room 10 (my room) was in fact theirs. Without checking whether or not they were actually guests the security guard had used the master key (over riding the double lock) and let them into MY room. As a woman on her own (my husband was in hospital – the reason for my stay) I was horrified. A half-hearted apology was all that I received. I had no choice but to spend one more night at the Road Lodge - with the door barricaded with a chair :(. I then managed to get accommodation at the Blue Bend B&B in Beacon Bay where I stayed for a further 7 nights - while slightly more expensive it was worth every cent. Road Lodge (City Lodge, etc) will never again see me in ANY of their properties.

Room Tip: Not a safe place for a woman on her own to stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo