“WARNING NOT GOOD”

Splendid Inn King David
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This hotel is not what it is made out to be, the area is very dangerous, reports of rapings and murders in the same area have been reported and we were shocked at the state of it when we arrived, if we had know about this prior to booking online we would definitely not have booked here. when we arrived there was not power at all, our paper work had stated that we were from zimbabwe but we are actually from australia, we were told to take our luggage up the stair case with no help at all, we then arrived at the room and it was not even made up yet, the room was filthy and still had macdonalds left overs in it. we then took our stuff back out and left, as we left we noticed a whole heap of suspicious looking guys out near our car. we left the immediately and checked in at the hemmingways casino for $50 extra we got 5 star accom. including breakfast. Please dont risk your life and stay at king david.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jade T

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel is really not worth staying in. For the rate you would expect anything, but there is nothing positive on this hotel. It is old, dirty and the staff is unfriendly. I would really not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank RenaChristo
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel for two nights before meeting up with our group. While the cost per night was a reasonable value, the hotel needs updating. We booked a room with two beds, but the hotel did not have one available upon arrival. They offered complimentary breakfast and we moved to a different room the next day. The manager was helpful and apologetic. The desk staff was not as helpful, perhaps due to language barriers. When we asked for desk staff for ideas on what to do during the day, the staff did not have a local map, could not give us clear suggestions (even just asking for directions to a post office), etc. Breakfast was average, but a bit overpriced for the value. The hotel is very close to the beach (walking distance), but only safe to do during daylight hours. Street noise made it difficult to sleep through the night. We kept windows open as there was not any air conditioning. There are better hotels or b&b's in East London for the value.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank LAMMER13
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My 89 year old mother and myself flew from Cape Town to East London to meet with family we have not seen in a long time. We decided to have dinner at the King David Hotel where the two of us were staying for two nights. We pre-booked the dinner table - even told the waiter what we would eat: curry. The next evening our table was waiting for us, but an hour later when the curry arrived, it was ice cold. Not room temperature - ICE COLD. We asked to see the manager - that never happened. When our food was returned another hour later, it was room temperature - NOT HOT. Fortunately all nine of us had a good sense of humour. We decided to try the cheesecake (no coffee, because we were not sure how long we would have to wait for that).
The cheesecake, the waiter said, came "straight from the cellar". They were rock hard, iced little round shapes with ice cream on top. The waiter told us that we must use the fish knives to chop up the "cheese cake". Under the ice cream we found a rock hard iced strawberry. Halfway through the "cheese cake" we got up and left. Later in the room, I received a phone call from the waiter who insisted that I pay him "cash" for the meal. I refused and when he came to the room with the bill for me to sign, there were obvious mistakes on it which he had to rectify first. He asked if I would like to speak to the manager and I said I would. The manager phoned me and asked "how he could help". I told him an hour or two ago he would have been able to help, but now it was too late. He told me the iced cheese cake is "normal" and that this is how they serve it - I told him that I did not believe him. He did not apologise, just said they would give me 10% discount on the "food only" bill. The adjusted bill arrived and I signed.
What should have been a cosy, memorable evening, turned out to be a very bitter taste in the mouth.
I certainly would not recommend this hotel with its cold staff to anyone. The milk in the room was sour and when I reported it there was not a word of apology or an offer to replace it. The remote for the television was missing and the bedlights did not work. The hotel's driver whom we pre-booked and was supposed to pick us up at the airport did not turn up. All minor irritations that culminated in that "dinner".
I do not blame the waiter (who knew he was serving us cold food), or the cook even (who knew he was dishing up cold food), but I blame the manager for covering up the bad mistakes and not apologise or compensate properly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank AlettaCrofton
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Despite poor reviews I decided to stay here because it was cheap and I just needed somewhere to stay for one night before a flight from East London airport. The area does not feel particalarly safe and there is a noisey nightclub just accross the road. The hotel itself is in need of redecoration and did not seem at all busy. The reception staff and porter were courteous and helpful. The room was large and clean, but the furniture had seen better days. I didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on that.
I booked this hotel not expecting much, so I was neither thrilled nor disappointed with it. For somewhere cheap to stay it does the job.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

total rip-off
old & smelly hotel = feels like a time-travel back to the 70s.
service = next to non-existant
the "general manager" is a joke and should first read up on customer service before dealing with clients.
next time i need to stay in east london i would rather stay at a camping ground, youth hostel or park bench.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank mk3za
Reviewed 2 September 2009

No heat, no air conditioning, loud, and in a very dangerous part of town.
I received no wake up call, my check-out invoice was wrong, I froze at night, and the desk staff was incompetent.
Stay somewhere else!