“Terrible management, terrible staff!”

Buffalo Backpackers
Buffalo Backpackers
Montreal, Canada
“Terrible management, terrible staff!”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

First of all, this budget accomodation is fine for what you pay for. My bad review is definitely regarding the staff and the management. The night we were there, the guests next to our room got robbed and the robbers tried to break-in into our room too (If someone knocks on your door during the night telling you it's management, NEVER open. This is common practice in South Africa), but we didn't open the door. After that tough, we put the bed in front of the door and we were in shock. We got stuck in our room for 2 1/2 hours without anybody from staff telling us what had happen or if we could get out. After this time, we finally decided by ourselves to come out, finding the staff downstairs waiting for the police. Moreover, 4 hours after the break-in, the management wasn't even on site (neither was the police). We left this place with a bitter-sweet feeling principaly because the situation wasn't handled at all by the backpackers.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I was looking for budget accomodations in East London in a central location. This fit the bill. Staff was pretty friendly, the place was pretty empty except for a friendly group from Gauteng, the location is safe and central, and there was plenty of secure parking. I am only giving this a 3 because I had the feeling that the room had not been thoroughly cleaned. I have been in worse in countries like India, but in South Africa the standards are higher and so one would expect things better. The sheets seemed to have hair on / in them, the bathroom did not seem really scrubbed, but it was not grungy or filthy, somehow in between. I figured I was only staying a night so it would do. I will be going through East London again next year - not sure if I would stay here again. Think I will check out the room and have a backup option just in case things have not improved.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
#3 of 14 in East London
Road Lodge East London
Road Lodge East London
#8 of 14 in East London

Been to Buffalo Backpackers? Share your experiences!