“It’s a very old post box”

Oldest letterbox in South Africa
Reviewed 29 July 2013

It’s impressively sturdy and worth a look if in the neighbourhood. But it’s only a postbox. No pub, scenic view, etc. I give it a high rating because it’s old and attractive.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

When visiting Grahamstown around the 9th March I bought a postcard to send to myself, and found the location on the map, so although a hot day I went off to mail it. Like many people I had read in the Grahamstown visitor's guide that mail receives a special frank when mailed from this box, and this was my main reason for using that box.
The card arrived today..................NO FRANC. Is this misleading advertising or what? Certainly a disappointment.

4  Thank peacealways
Reviewed 12 December 2012

It's great how Grahamstown is trying to preserve this letterbox. It is not easy to find as it is surrounded by traffic and bush. I'm not sure if they still empty it as the postcards I posted in the beginning of the year never arrived...

4  Thank ElviraVN
Reviewed 11 October 2012

A fun stop in Grahamstown was the Oldest Official Letter Box in South Africa. It can be found where the Northwest end of Worcester Street intersects with Somerset Street. The pillar-box became a National Monument on 17 March 1989. We posted postcards for the family but was disappointed because they did not receive a special frank as claimed by the tourist website for the town.

1  Thank Lu-Gerda