We stayed in the family unit for 7 days over Christmas. The first thing that strikes you when arriving is that the 4 star Country Estate that you booked is very far from the truth.
At the very best, this is a chalet on a farm with the bare minimum spent on it.
Things that irritated me were:
1) Fully serviced actually means weekdays excl public holidays. A problem over Christmas.
2) Sheets were only changed once when we requested a change.
3) All linen is thin, old and worn out.
4) Pool is at least 300m from the unit down a hill in front of the main house. By the time you've walked back up the hill you're hotter than when you decided to go for a swim in the first place.
5) You need a 4x4 to get to the back of the house.
6) The bathroom taps hardly reach the basin (very weird). Anyone under 2m tall has to stand in the bath or doorway to brush their teeth.
7) Although the chalet is built on a hill, when you sit on the patio chairs, your entire view hides behind a thick hedge.
8) If you book a meal, understand that that means someone coming to your kitchen to cook for you.
9) Before going to sleep every night, we had to put the slats back into the bed in the second bedroom.
10) Beds have rock hard foam mattresses which are hot in summer.
Unit does have full satellite TV, which is great except when the remote doesn't work properly.
This unit is a 2 star self catering unit at best and shouldn't cost more than R500 pd although we paid over R1300 pd.
Definately won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A taste of country living at its best, Packwood offers a unique experience, set in 1000 acres of pristine countryside, fantastic views over to the Tstiskamma mountains and down to the ocean, wholesome cuisine using produce from the vineyard, dairy and gardens, beautiful accom, an abundance of bird life, hiking, cycling, riding, shooting and fishing on the estate, tranquility, exclusivity and privacy coupled with home from home hospitality. ... more less