“Unique and magical”
Review of Emily Moon

Emily Moon
Cuisines: African, French, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Where luxury and peace are to be found in a sweeping river valley. Where the views encompass a wetland, winding river and distant mountains and where the call of the Fish Eagle will forever remind you of the vast skies of Africa .
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Unique and magical”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is my second review of Emily's Restaurant at Emily Moon River Lodge. No, I haven't gone mad, changed my mind or forgotten what I wrote the first time round. Way better than that....I've been back!

We first ate at Emily Moon's Restaurant in October 2011 and thought it was magical! But there was one drawback - as it was evening we couldn't see the view. Lucky enough to find ourselves back in stunning South Africa in November 2013, we were determined to pay Emily another visit. This time we weren't going to miss that view and went for lunch. Both the view and the lunch didn't disappoint. Food here is fantastic (I had the most delicious seafood pasta), service is friendly and prices (although on the expensive side for South Africa) are a pleasant surprise for those of us used to paying through the nose here in the UK!

If you're anywhere near Plettenberg Bay, try Emily Moon's. It's well signposted off the N2 and is more than worth a detour.

• Visited November 2013

Lenexa, Kansas
“Not the best”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I ate here on recommendation from our B&B for our last night in Plett. We had so many truly wonderful meals in Plett that our expectations may have been too high. We arrived after dark but the restaurant was sparsely filled. As we waited for our food the restaurant quickly filled up. I ordered the Line Fish (which is a local freshly caught fish of the day). I asked how it was prepared but the server didn't know. I figured I would just go with it as I had never been disappointed ordering this before. And so the wait began....We noticed that others tables got food before us. Our food finally arrived and my fish was the entire fish. Bones and all. My fish was ok, but just ok not good or great. Wish I would have know how it was going to be served. When we had paid and were leaving the host asked how we enjoyed the meal and we told him it was a long wait for the food. He replied it was because of the fish that I ordered took a long time to cook. I wondered why they didn't tell me. (if that was the reason) Anyway, we were glad to get out of there. I would suggest choosing some of the other really great restaurants that Platt has to offer. (Nguni or Zen Zen)

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank KS66215
Potter Bar, Herts (near London), England
“Overrated”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

In spite of rave reviews and being recommended we felt we had had better service and food elsewhere in the Plett area.

The views during the day are stunning which is when we visited to book for an evening meal and also to make sure we could find it in the dark.

On arrival we were greeted and cannot fault that.

As to the food it was over priced for what it was and the quality was not up to the standards elsewhere. As an example the fish dishes at The Fat Fish where we had eaten a day earlier were far superior.

Now it is just possible we were unlucky but I doubt it.

We did have a great evening nevertheless and perhaps having been spoilt elsewhere in our South African trip we are now getting far more picky.

After we paid the bill nobody was around to thank us for coming and bid us goodbye.

Based on our experience I think one can do better elsewhere and this was a disappointment after reading so many rave reviews.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Wacky the Wizard
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“excellent restaurant”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

everything about our evening was wonderful, food, atmosphere, views, service, etc, we really recommend Emily,s, also great value for money!

• Visited November 2013
oxfordshire
“average food, appalling service”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We visited this restaurant whilst staying at Tsala Treetops Lodge and it was recommended by a member of their staff as an alternative to Zinzi, at which we dined two nights. We knew nothing about Emily's restaurant and so had no particular expectations or preconceptions. Unfortunately we were unable to enjoy the views mentioned in other reviews as it was dark when we arrived (a note of caution to other diners arriving at night - it is very dificult to find). The first thing which struck me on being handed the menu was the limited number of dishes available, perhaps no more than 5 main courses and one of those (the chicken) had run out so this made our choice even more limited. None of the few starters appealed so we went straight to the main course; we became increasingly hungry as we waited and were not offered bread. When the main courses arrived the waitress had brought the wrong dish for my daughter - she had ordered a T bone steak and was brought a fillet steak instead. The T bone would have been served with potato croquettes which is one reason why she ordered it but the fillet came with chips. The waitress offered to replace the dish but thinking this might take some time we accepted the incorrect meal. However, we did have to send the steak back anyway as it was very pink for medium to well - done and we asked for the croquettes. We had also ordered a salad which did not come, and when we eventually asked for it the waitress said she would 'see how it is coming along' as if a stuffed goose were being prepared rather than a simple salad. My other daughter enjoyed her ribs and my lamb chops were all right but nothing special although my husband thought the ribs were disappointing. However, the final insult came with the bill; we were charged for a fillet steak rather than the T bone which had been ordered and of course the fillet was the more expensive of the two. This is unacceptable - they were the ones who had made the mistake, and charging for a meal which was incorrect in a number of ways was cheeky enough, but to charge for a more expensive dish which we had not ordered was outrageous. The final straw was the waitress forgetting to return my husband's credit card. All in all the worst meal we had in our two weeks in South Africa. Zinzi was far, far superior and we all wish we had eaten there for a third night rather than spending a single cent at Emily Moon's. We will not be returning when we visit Plett again, and would advise other travellers to go to Zinzi at Tsala instead.

• Visited October 2013