“Great place to spend some time relaxing”

The Plettenberg Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Plettenberg Bay
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arrived at the hotel on 29th October 2012. The staff in this hotel were very friendly, helpful and professional from the first minute when we arrived. The hotel has great views. We stayed in room 60, which was very spacious, clean and relaxing. The hotel has an overall feel of being relaxing and you could easily spend your day around the various areas, with a book and a glass of something. We enjoyed an evening meal in the restaurant, which was very good indeed. The menu was varied and there was a good wine list. This is definately a 5* hotel, which I recommend wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
formosabay, General Manager at The Plettenberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

I am delighted that you had a relaxing stay at The Plettenberg, and a wonderful meal at our Seafood restaurant. Thank you for taking time to post a review. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Spent two nights here and didn't want to leave. The management and staff were wonderful, nothing was a problem. The room was very comfortable, and serviced beautifully daily.

Would recommend anybody wanting somewhere special to stay to put The Plettenberg on their list. We look forward to returning someday in the near future to enjoy it all again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plettenberg. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Have just returned from yet another stay at The Plettenberg. This really is one pf my favourite places to stay in the world. Both the management Johan and Lisa and all the staff are always so welcoming and friendly, remaining always professional. The rooms are everything you would expect from a 5star hotel, spotlessly clean and every attention to detail is taken care of. The food in the restaurant is not too be missed. This review would not be complete without mentioning the hotel is in the most stunning location, with the most spectacular, breathtaking views. All of these things make the Plettenberg a very special place to stay. Until the next time..............

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

I am thrilled that once again you enjoyed your stay at The Plettenberg. Myself and my team look forward to seeing you shortly. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I showed up here with grease on my face after changing my tire up the coast a ways. I was weary from a few days driving from Durban, and had pulled into the other hotel in plettenbrg on the rock on the ocean thinking this might be the best place in town, but was treated absurdly by the staff there. When I got here and saw the Relais and Chateaux plaque I was pretty psyeched, because they must have the best training in the world, and instead of looking down at me, a guy grabbed my bag and even offered to clean my car for me. A beautiful woman at the desk gave me a great rate (relatively, it isn't cheap, but it was mid winter and things were slow) on a suite and never once mentioned the grease nor made it awkward, and I was treated the next morning to a stunning view, one that I only see equaled in places like the south pacific.. I stayed a few extra days and still appreciate this place. For customer service, any relais and chateaux place is going to be as good as it gets, and it's a pleasure, like staying at a rich uncles house and being treated to his best.. without the sad and comical results of subtle or not so subtle greed that can dominate so many hospitality interactions.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Thanks so much for your positive comments. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience at our beautiful hotel. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 16 October 2012

The Title of this review says it all!
I stayed over for one night on a business trip. After a 16 hour journey from London I was welcolmed by name when I arrived, that's a first at a hotel I have never visited before, and was promptly shown to my room. One of the things that stood out for me was that the staff are obviously encouraged to learn the guests names, as many of them had learned mine even without engaging me. The location and views are wonderful and the room was very large and spotlessly clean. I had a good meal in the Restaurant and a great nights sleep. I am going back for 2 night next week when I visit again from the UK.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
formosabay, General Manager at The Plettenberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you for you positive comments regarding your first visit to The Plettenberg Hotel. I appreciate your feedback, and myself and my team are looking forward to welcoming you back next week. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed at The Plettenberg for 2 nights in late September, largely because we could not get these dates at the Beacon Island, where we had stayed previously, and thought that was fantastic. But this hotel surpassed all expectation; the receptionist could not have done more for us on arrival, moving us to a beautiful ground-floor room to suit my wife, who has limited mobility. The room standard was fabulous, and the restaurant breakfasts, sitting on the terrace with a breathtaking view of Plettenberg Bay, could not have been bettered. The assistant manager, Johan, went out of his way to ensure we had a great stay, and could not have been more helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: The hotel has only 35 rooms, all of which seem excellent. You might like to go for the Blue Wing tho...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at our beautiful hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the amazing views across the bay from our rooms. I will pass your positive comments on to my wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back personally to The Plettenberg on your next visit Plettenberg Bay. Lisa Knight

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We had a lovelynSunday lunch at the restaurant at the Plettenberg Hotel.We had a table on the patio with a lovely veiw of the Plettenberg Bay.we had the Crispy Fishcakes and Sirloin Steak.The foodvwas excellent,well presented and very tasty.The service was also very good so was the decor and table settings

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janfourie

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch at Seafood at The Plettenberg. I will pass your positive comments regarding the food on to our head chef. I appreciate your comments on our service and the beautiful decor in our restaurant. Lisa Knight

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plettenberg Bay
#3 of 13 in Plettenberg Bay
Grand Africa Rooms
Grand Africa Rooms
#6 of 13 in Plettenberg Bay

Been to The Plettenberg Hotel? Share your experiences!