“A special place to stay.”

The Plettenberg Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Plettenberg Bay
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“A special place to stay.”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The Plettenberg is an excellent hotel in a beautiful location overlooking a great beach on the Indian Ocean. The whole experience was outstanding. Staff were delightful, and extremely cheerful and helpful. Breakfast and daytime facilities were excellent. Dinner was good, and there was a varied choice of external restaurants. e.g. Emily Moon, Lemon Grass.

Overall, we were delighted with the hotel and wish we had booked a longer stay. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
New York
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed here for three nights during our Garden Route trip. The hotel is beautiful and has a spectacular view of the ocean from the dining room, the dining patio and some of the rooms. Our corner suite had two balconies overlooking the bay.

We had dinner at the hotel all three nights and each meal was delicious. The service was attentive and the menu had a large selection so we didn't have to repeat.

The hotel is conveniently located to most of the Garden Route major attractions. It was very easy to get to the N2 and everything we wanted to do was no more than 40 minutes away.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 65 which is in the annex building right across the street. This building was just...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
formosabay, General Manager at The Plettenberg Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plettenberg, on your next visit to the Garden Route. Lisa Knight
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arrived at the hotel on 29th October 2012. The staff in this hotel were very friendly, helpful and professional from the first minute when we arrived. The hotel has great views. We stayed in room 60, which was very spacious, clean and relaxing. The hotel has an overall feel of being relaxing and you could easily spend your day around the various areas, with a book and a glass of something. We enjoyed an evening meal in the restaurant, which was very good indeed. The menu was varied and there was a good wine list. This is definately a 5* hotel, which I recommend wholeheartedly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that you had a relaxing stay at The Plettenberg, and a wonderful meal at our Seafood restaurant. Thank you for taking time to post a review. Lisa Knight
australia
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Spent two nights here and didn't want to leave. The management and staff were wonderful, nothing was a problem. The room was very comfortable, and serviced beautifully daily.

Would recommend anybody wanting somewhere special to stay to put The Plettenberg on their list. We look forward to returning someday in the near future to enjoy it all again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plettenberg. Lisa Knight
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Have just returned from yet another stay at The Plettenberg. This really is one pf my favourite places to stay in the world. Both the management Johan and Lisa and all the staff are always so welcoming and friendly, remaining always professional. The rooms are everything you would expect from a 5star hotel, spotlessly clean and every attention to detail is taken care of. The food in the restaurant is not too be missed. This review would not be complete without mentioning the hotel is in the most stunning location, with the most spectacular, breathtaking views. All of these things make the Plettenberg a very special place to stay. Until the next time..............

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
I am thrilled that once again you enjoyed your stay at The Plettenberg. Myself and my team look forward to seeing you shortly. Lisa Knight
Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

I showed up here with grease on my face after changing my tire up the coast a ways. I was weary from a few days driving from Durban, and had pulled into the other hotel in plettenbrg on the rock on the ocean thinking this might be the best place in town, but was treated absurdly by the staff there. When I got here and saw the Relais and Chateaux plaque I was pretty psyeched, because they must have the best training in the world, and instead of looking down at me, a guy grabbed my bag and even offered to clean my car for me. A beautiful woman at the desk gave me a great rate (relatively, it isn't cheap, but it was mid winter and things were slow) on a suite and never once mentioned the grease nor made it awkward, and I was treated the next morning to a stunning view, one that I only see equaled in places like the south pacific.. I stayed a few extra days and still appreciate this place. For customer service, any relais and chateaux place is going to be as good as it gets, and it's a pleasure, like staying at a rich uncles house and being treated to his best.. without the sad and comical results of subtle or not so subtle greed that can dominate so many hospitality interactions.

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Thanks so much for your positive comments. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience at our beautiful hotel. Lisa Knight
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The Title of this review says it all!
I stayed over for one night on a business trip. After a 16 hour journey from London I was welcolmed by name when I arrived, that's a first at a hotel I have never visited before, and was promptly shown to my room. One of the things that stood out for me was that the staff are obviously encouraged to learn the guests names, as many of them had learned mine even without engaging me. The location and views are wonderful and the room was very large and spotlessly clean. I had a good meal in the Restaurant and a great nights sleep. I am going back for 2 night next week when I visit again from the UK.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
formosabay, General Manager at The Plettenberg Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Thank you for you positive comments regarding your first visit to The Plettenberg Hotel. I appreciate your feedback, and myself and my team are looking forward to welcoming you back next week. Lisa Knight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plettenberg Bay
#6 of 13 in Plettenberg Bay
Conrad Pezula
Conrad Pezula
#5 of 30 in Knysna

Been to The Plettenberg Hotel? Share your experiences!