All reviews protea room garden route shared bathroom one night beautiful view living room bloukrans bridge dirt track bungee jumping home away from home beautiful place two nights hostel backpackers fireplace lodge fires
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Good food and service. Clean room, but rest of facilities in need of repair, renovation and cleaning. Furniture dirty and in poor condition. The place has great potential, but is neglected. We will not book to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Matthew R, Owner at African Array Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Dear Peter, thank you for your review. I do however find your review a little confusing as you say that the room is clean, great service and good food and don't even mention the amazing view that you can't get at some upmarket, high end hotels and guest houses, were you would pay thousands of rands to stay at. The price you pay for a room in a backpackers don't justify high end furniture so, I would like to apologize to you for my furniture not being up to your standard. As we go though high season, catering for 30 to 50 guest a day it makes it very difficult to get to everything and keep every piece of furniture in perfect condition so, we wait for low season so we can get to fixing what is broken or neglected. This is custom in our industry. If I charged double what I charge for my rooms then I could employ more people to fix everything. However you pay Backpacker rates and get what you pay for and more. I wonder if you really know what it takes to run an establishment like ours and what it cost. I honestly don't believe that you do. I also don't think that you realize what it does to a business who work so hard at creating a wonderful experience for backpackers to enjoy and then someone go and give you a bad review because you don't like the furniture. I hope you have a wonderful trip and the best in life as you grow up.

Kind regards
Matthew (owner)

Reviewed 26 April 2017

African Array is something else. It has an incredible location, sitting amongst beautiful hills with multiple decks and balconies that overlook the surrounding landscape. I could've stayed there for a fortnight just sitting and watching the world go by without being bored. The hostel itself is super clean, super friendly and built to meet other travellers. I can't thank Matthew and Vicky enough for their hospitality!

1  Thank lookwhatwedone
Reviewed 23 April 2017

We got there on a Saturday night, already after sunset and the first they told us was "oh you missed the sunset! It's the best part!" And immediately we knew we were in the right place. To top it off with a cherry they told us they also serve dinner and breakfast! Sweet!! Good hearthy food (real food for real people), great environment and a beautiful night sleep after we got to wake up to one of the most magnificent views I have ever seen. It is a mandatory stop by!

1  Thank RitaG1101
Reviewed 9 April 2017

This is a fabulous place to chill out in while in Plettenberg bay- the only problem me and friends had with this lodge was the noise level at reception extremely early both mornings- but overall it was a great place to stay with great staff and lovely food on offer!

1  Thank 787grainnel
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Awesome stuff, friendly and helpful volunteers. Insane view about the landscape with a beautiful sunset. Cool people and guests. Nice and fresh food. Everything was perfect - will be back soon, for sure!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends