“Excellent trip in South Africa”

Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours
Hong Kong, China
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellent trip in South Africa”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

It was my first time visiting South Africa, together with my parents who are in their sixties. Sharon from Gecko Tour organised a five-night tour along Garden Route and safari for us. We had a wonderful time there. We went to Highgate Ostrich Farm, Cango Cave, Wild meerkat watching, two nights at Knysna and two days at a private safari lodge at East Cape. Every item on the tour was amazing and I am very happy that I took Sharon's advice to take part in the wild meerkat watching in the sunrise, which is unique and special.

Sharon was amazing. She responded every email I wrote promptly and organised all the transport, including journey back to Port Elizabeth (we flew from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town), pickup at Cape Town and the final send-off. Everything was very well organised.

Our tour guide was Eugene, who is extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He cannot help it but keeping the dialog flowing, telling us everything he knows about South Africa.

The transport vehicle is a seven seater with perfect air conditioning and comfortable.

Gecko Tour definitely delivers. Shame that I did not use them for my stay and tours around Cape Town which Gecko Tour apparently also offers relevant services. Cannot wait to go back to South Africa, amazing country with amazing people.

Visited February 2014
tlozier, Public Relations Manager at Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Jia-
Thank you very much for sharing your travel experiences you had with Gecko Tours with others here on TripAdvisor. The fact that you mention our tours were well organised and enjoyable means a lot to us! We love reading that you enjoyed all the destinations and activities - especially my suggestion to see the Wild Meerkats at sunrise, an unexpected surprise! I'm so glad you enjoyed all of this without havng to think about any logistics, that you enjoyed your tour guide Eugene and all his knowledge of South Africa, and that you had a lot of fun! This is exactly what we hope for all of our guests.
Sincerely, Sharon Louw, Owner Gecko Tours

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“GREAT!”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We were picked up at Port Elizabeth and went on a four day tour through the Garden Route and were then dropped in Cape Town. Our guide Eugene was friendly, knowledgeable, and a very good driver. He was also flexible in changing some of the initial plans which made things more enjoyable. We loved all the places that we visited and fell safe during our tour. Personalized attention and very clean vehicles.

Visited January 2014
tlozier, Public Relations Manager at Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Gabriela-
It was only our pleasure to tweak your itinerary to make sure that it was the best for you - we are so glad that you enjoyed your time in South Africa seeing some of our amazing wildlife with a driver you felt comfortable with. I will be sure to pass your feedback along to Eugene as well - Eugene is passionate about his tours, ensuring his clients are treated as VIP's. One can never be too careful when driving long distances and we do our best to ensure our guests are relaxed, safe and pampered at all times.
Best regards, Sharon Louw, Owner Gecko Tours
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“"Perfect" 5 day Private Garden Route Tour December 2013.”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We googled half a dozen companies from our homebase in Australia, and Gecko was the first to reply. Sharon was prompt, efficient, understanding and totally compliant with our needs and budgets. She had liased with us on almost all aspects and completed the ideal itinerary BEFORE we even received a second competitive reply on the internet..
We had a fabulous trip, excellent accommodation, no glitches at all, and a fun-filled but knowledgeable tour guide in Nelis. No complaints at all and they come truely highly recommended from now on. Thanks Gecko for arranging our unique tour and making it a lasting happy memory. Fantastic and well done.
Brian and Nani Larter from Australia.

Visited December 2013
tlozier, Public Relations Manager at Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Brian and Nani-
Thank you so very much for taking the time to rate your experience in South Africa with Gecko Tours - we really appreciate your feedback! At Gecko we pride ourselves on using our local knowledge to deliver 'off the beaten path' experiences, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience, especially the sunrise Meerkat experience - proud members of the "shy 5" - as well as the visit to the Featherbed Nature Reserve in Knysna. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to Nelis as well. All the best to you for 2014!
Kind regards, Sharon Louw
“Excellent guided Garden Route tour organised by Gecko”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My partner and I were looking for a privately guided tour along the Garden Route in mid October 2013 and came across Gecko Tours. Their website offered a number of suggested itineraries – we chose the “Garden Route Classic 5 days” tour as our starting point. We got in contact with a few questions and Sharon from Gecko responded almost immediately. They were extremely helpful and flexible suggesting changes to the itinerary to suit our tastes (we were particularly interested in nature). For comparison we had contacted another operator whose attitude was far less helpful – it’s our itinerary take it or leave it.

We decided to extend our stay to allow ourselves a few days in Cape Town before starting the tour and to add two nights in a private game reserve at the end to complete our trip.
Gecko were extremely helpful in organising all of this including recommending a hotel in Cape Town and an excellent game reserve.

Once we finalised our itinerary we booked our flights from the UK and then Gecko did the rest.
Our guide/driver for the five day tour was Nelis. He was an excellent guide as well as driving. The information and background he provided together with us not having to drive meant we felt we got a lot more out of the trip than if we had been self drive.

We really enjoyed the whole trip but a couple of highlights were the whale watching in Plettenberg Bay where we got really close to six hump-back whales, and seeing the early morning Meerkats in Oudtshoorn. The tree-top lodges and game drives at Lalibela Game Reserve were excellent too.

For anyone considering visiting the Garden Route we would thoroughly recommend Gecko for their responsiveness, excellent customer service and flexibility.

Visited October 2013
tlozier, Public Relations Manager at Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Dominique and Chris-
It was an absolute pleasure to work with you to plan your trip to South Africa. As specialists, we take pride in our Cape Town and Garden Route itineraries and we can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience on our tours on TripAdvisor.

Nelis is very passionate about sharing his knowledge on the area, ensuring you all have fun and a memorable time. He told me about the "red handbag" and I am so disappointed not to have a photo to be able to threaten him to expose it for all to see! ha ha ;-)

We hope to welcome you back to South Africa again some day!

Kind regards,
Sharon Louw, Owner Gecko Transfers and Tours
Charlotte, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best.Vacation.Ever!”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a fantastic 12 day vacation in South Africa. One of the highlights of the trip was a 5 day Garden Route tour arranged for us by Sharon at Gecko Tours. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. Gecko Tours is very flexible; Sharon customized their basic tour to fit our desires. I was able to add, remove, and rearrange activities on the tour with just an email. Everything was very clearly described; prices, inclusions and exclusions, and the experience itself completely met expectations. There were no unpleasant surprises or misunderstandings or unexpected cost overruns. We did wine and port tastings, greeting the day with a family of meerkats, walking with cheetahs, feeding elephants, bungee jumping off a bridge, a game drive, monkeys, caves, the beautiful scenery of Knysna's Featherbed nature reserve and much more in just 5 days. All the Guest Houses and B&B’s we stayed in (3 different ones over 4 nights), were fantastic. Beautiful views from our room, delicious breakfasts, luxury appointments; I could tell Gecko Tours is discriminating in their choices.

Our guide for the journey, Nelis, was very knowledgeable about his country and in particular the locations we were visiting. From politics and history to geography, fauna and flora of the regions we passed through, Nelis had answers, interesting information and seemed willing to discuss it. My daughter told me later that some of the questions she asked him she already knew the answer too from a guide book she had. He got them all correct apparently. He kept us on schedule without it being overbearing, made good recommendations when choices were available (for dining, shopping, etc.), and was just as flexible during the tour as Sharon was when designing the tour. There was quite a bit of time spent driving, especially the first and last days. Nelis was easy to talk to, personable, as much a travel companion as a tour guide. He has also done everything on our itinerary himself as a local tourist with his family, so he had personal experiences to share, including bungee jumping!

If you are planning a visit to South Africa, I highly recommend Gecko Tours.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank osocurious
tlozier, Public Relations Manager at Gecko Transport and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Ken and Erin-
I am just blown away by your wonderful review of our services. I really cannot thank you enough and it makes me feel so proud to hear about your wonderful experience. I will be sure to pass your kind words and compliments along to Nelis as well, since as you can tell, he takes great pride in his work and I am sure enjoyed showing you and your daughter around our beautiful country. We hope to welcome you to South Africa again some day.

Best regards,