“A Grand Affair”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Plettenberg Bay
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A Grand Affair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Going back to one of my most favorite places where I can be Grand without being snobby
The amazing location overlooking the Plett bay and the mountains and sea was indeed a spoil.

Room 8 was spacious and had magnificent ocean views and the high beds lends the quirkiness that I have come to love - comfy beds / great pillows. In room mini bars / sumptuous amenities and deliciously naughty snacks available in the rooms

Staff and Suzanne the GM were all amazing

The Café attached to the hotel serves the best chips and had a great menu - I dined on the Bouillabaisse twice - it was out of this world

Wine list just right and Grand cocktails left to tantalize my taste buds

Recommend the Chocolate cake and the Bar One Cheesecake - yum

The Grand Dame of Grand Africa portfolio is the first of many creations by Sue Main and her team and I am looking forward to other new international offerings in the future

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is a really cool place with shabby chic interiors and a beautiful view. We were unfortunate with weather in plett but were so grateful to be stayin at this place. The rooms are so comfortable if minimally designed. The staff are out of this world. We had 3 meals too which were great if not spectacular.
Definitely worth staying here.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I am quite green with envy at the fun which it seems was had in conceptualising the Grand Hotel in Plettenberg Bay. Like a modern princess without a pea I climb onto my high bed via a red velvet footstool. I mean, where does one even get to use the term footstool nowadays, let alone describing one that is, I kid you not, genuinely covered in red velvet. A sense of humour exudes every aspect of this fantastical space, where no holds have been barred in the creation of a uniquely characterful romantic holiday villa.

What I love about the Grand Hotel at Plettenberg Bay:
• The sweeping ocean views from every part of the hotel
• The artistic license with which every corner of the establishment has been created
• The surprisingly glamorous and yet affordable rooms
• Luxurious raised beds and generous baths with views
• The Bath House, with its twin baths and eccentric, romantic courtyard feel
• Silver candelabra, red roses, pillow chocolates and an excess of velvet
• The dramatic Cigar Lounge, filled with interesting furnishings and books
• The outdoor restaurant with romantic, candle-lit round tables
• Friendly staff which seem to embrace the fun yet upmarket hospitable service

Accommodation experience
Once upon a time I had wanted to visit the Grand Hotel. Like any good tale I had long to wait, with many obstacles and a few monsters to slay. But finally I found my way.

Later that same day, having a bubble bath by the candlelight (from a ridiculously large silver candelabra), with views of the ocean and star-lit skies, it was impossible not to be happy. The abandon with which the room had been lavished with creative and thoughtful detail could not help but be infectious. I felt a child-like joy in the experience, like the ending of a fairytale filled with romance and naive hope for the happily-ever-after.

Review by www.characterstay.blogspot.com

Room Tip: The Bath House is very luxurious, and Room 7 has a bath with double doors and sea views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
canterbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I had read about this restaurant in a travel brochure so thought we would give it a try.
The decor and ambience was real bohemian and rather quirky. Staff were very pleasant but we were very disappointed in our meal. I had sirloin in a soy sauce , very little steak and it was absolutely drenched in neat soy sauce. I did mention to the waitress that the soy sauce was all too much but she didn't seem bothered. Perhaps I just chose he wrong meal but for the price we paid, and it was very expensive, we were not very impressed.
We were not staying in the hotel so I cannot comment on that.

Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

From the outside, The Grand looks unprepossessing, and perhaps even a bit hostile - but inside is all about ambiance - shabby chic, gorgeously quirky and totally delightful.

We'd eaten at the Grand Cafe before - breakfast with a view - and decided this time to try supper there. I was a little trepidatious as reviews have been erratic but my concerns were misplaced.

Although it was a cool evening, we ate on the candlelit terrace - and were offered a rug if we were too cold.

The menu is simple and the food was good - my husband had curry (not a real hot Durban curry, he claimed, milder but still tasty), I had the mussels, which were rich and buttery with just the right amount of garlic, wine and onions - and we were very well fed indeed. Bubbly, available by the glass, was served in an elegant Marie Antoinette glass - no flutes for the Grand!

The hostess offered us impeccable service, was warm and friendly, replacing the bowl a few times when it filled up with mussel shells. The evening out was let down only by our waiter who, lovely though he was, was completely erratic - attentive one moment, forgetful the next. We rather suspected he might have nipped out for a smoke of the green weed...!

All in all, a delightful place for something a little different. Definitely worth another visit.

1 Thank kalgran
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had a free night and rocked up and asked for a room. The last room available was offered and the quoted rand price made my girlfriend choke. She did not divide by 10. The room was off the pool and was wonderful with such style and an outside shower. We ate dinner there as well as breakfast. My type of place

Room Tip: Try to get views
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic couple of nights in this wonderfully quirky establishment. We stayed in the wonderful room 7 which was like having our own gite as it was enormous with built in open plan bathroom and shower.

Unusually we dined in the in house restaurant both nights and had excellent food from a small but varied menu. The high point being the lowest price I paid anywhere in South Africa for a bottle of Springfield vineyards excellent Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc from Robertson.