“Cold reception, decent hostel”

Kings Beach Backpackers
Kings Beach Backpackers
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had spoken with lovely Wendy on the phone, the owner, who unfortunately had the weekend off that I arrived. Unfortunately I caught David during what I assumed was his favorite TV show - first when I was considerate enough to call and say I was running late on the road (his response very disinterested and cold), and upon arrival he could not be bothered with showing me around other than vaguely pointing in one direction or another as to where the bathrooms and showers were - and after making sure he got my payment and quickly bringing me to my room, rushed back to his TV so as to not miss his program. Walking in and out over the weekend I was not particularly welcomed with open arms. Not saying I am Mr. Social or exceptionally outgoing but I do enjoy the odd conversation and friendly host who might be curious about me or my trip or willing to give a few tips. So I kind of got the creeps. But other than that the room was fine, bed comfortable, place secure, neighborhood good and central, and PE does have lovely beaches if you head out towards Recife and there is a really cool bohemian neighborhood that kind of reminds me of Melville in Johannesburg but tamer called Richmond Hill. As far as staying at Kings again - only if the lovely, friendly owner Wendy were there during my stay. If she were there I would have definitely given at least 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank KincsZoltan

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I booked with lovely place not by recommendation but my a guy instinct and I was right!
Very cozy, friendly place and the staff especially are always ready to assist you with travel plans. Great wrap around front porch.
We stayed in a twin room, however, we had to walk to the bathroom which was outside and when it rained...not much fun.
The location is excellent and a relatively short drive to Addo Elephant park.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk outside to the loo, especially in the middle of the night I suggest th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We loved out peacefull stay at PE. David and little molly made our stay very very good! The hostel is close to the beach and shopping facillities. The staff is very helpfull with bookings, transfers, etc.the rooms very clean the kitchen had everything. Thanks for our stay

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The staff here go above and beyond to accommodate your needs. I found this place to be very hospitable and welcoming, something every Back packers should strive to have. Great location and very clean.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2013

What lovely place to stay!
In a great location close to restaurants,bars and the beach.
It was very relaxing and the staff there were very friendly and helpful. The dog Molly was also very friendly!
The staff helped us to organise our trip to Addo and schotia also to sea view lion sanctuary.
Free breakfast was a bonus.
The dorms were clean and tidy.
Would highly recommend to stay here.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaneandKatie
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed in this backpacker for three weeks along with twelve colleagues and friends as we were working at a local school. Located only five minutes walk from the shore and restaurants.
The rooms (single rooms and dorms) were spartan but clean and functional. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and allowed us to feel 'at home' for these few weeks. The kitchen was well equipped to allow us to cook for our large group. Our favourite part of the backpacker was definitely the outside braai (South African barbecue) area where we spent most evenings together.
Port Elizabeth is not a city that offers much to visitors... more like a giant industrial zone. The shores along the city are fledged with multiple highways, train tracks and the ocean is a giant parking area for tankers... but the Addo Elephant National Park and Jeffrey's Bay are only an hour drive away :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Vey good price, fine location, decent rooms, friendly staff. But crawling with enormous cats everywhere. Literally. Very cute dog also; unfortunately it uses the lawn as toilet.
Add 2-3 stars if you really adore living among pets.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple