“Second home in SA!”

Lungile Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were warmly welcomed by leigh, john, vuvu and Patrick when we first arrived. They made us feel at home straight away, hence why we often came back during our 6 month exchange in SA. They were very helpful and showed us around in PE. The backpackers is located centrally and you can walk to the beach, restaurants, supermarket, clubs, and the famous boardwalk. The facilities are great, hot showers! Fully equipped kitchen with free tea and coffee. They have a pool table, nice living room with a fire place and for the hot days a great garden and swimming pool! I did many of their tours and trips which are great value for your money. Big black johns city tour is a must!!! Also their trips to game parks like addo and kwantu are definitely worth while. You can also go sandboarding, do a hike nearby, go to sardinia bay to watch a beautiful sunset, spot some whales and dolphins. There is plenty to do in PE, so you definitely need a few nights! The staff including new comers clare and kulumani are extremely helpful and will make it an unforgettable stay. There is always a buzzing atmosphere in the hostel and you will never have a boring night. By the time I left I had been to lungile multiple times and every stay was even better than the one before. When you leave you will have made friends and memories for life :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Klimmy93
Clare-Amber, Administrator at Lungile Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Hi

Thank you for the great review. Its nice to hear that we made your stay with us feel like a "home away from home"!:) Glad you enjoyed some of the activities that are on offer as well as exploring the sights!! The staff were only to happy to make you feel at home! It was so nice meeting you and hope you had an unforgettable experience! Come visit us again soon!:)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent two nights in this place. The staff is cool and very helpful, free wifi, great location. You can walk to some restaurants, a mall or the beach. PE is a friendly city with a countryside feeling.
Not a Hilton Hotel but great for the price.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Abiola A

Good Day

Thank you for the review. Hope you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed exploring the city!:)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Lungile made my stay in PE one to remember. From the moment I arrived at the airport, these guys were there to help. The accommodations are clean, comfortable and charming and the location is very convenient. The service was above and beyond what I could have hoped for. As a solo-female traveler, I couldn't have asked for a more comfortable and inviting backpackers experience. I stayed for three nights and felt like family by the time I left. During my stay I went on a guided tour of Addo Elephant Park which the fine folks at Lungile arranged for me. The tour was amazing and Kevin the guide is incredibly knowledgeable about the park, the animals and PE and is extremely nice and easy-going. The beaches are beautiful, clean and safe and only about 5 minutes walk from the lodge. I recommend hiring a bicycle form the surf shop nearby and heading up the coast to check out the sights. Overall, my experience in PE was relaxing and fun, thanks to Lungile Lodge! Cheers!

Room Tip: Dorms are a great way to connect with other travelers, but the private rooms out back have amazing v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AmandaLeigh123

Hi Amanda

Thank you for your great review. Its good to hear that you had such a good experience in P.E and while staying with us! We hope you enjoyed visiting the Addo Elephant Park, the beaches and surrounding sights! Glad to know that your stay was fun and relaxing and hope a memorable one to!:)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in a private room with en suite bathroom here in chilly July. As with most places in SA, there was no heating, but there are four layers of blankets with which to keep warm. The shower was hot and comfortable, but the shower curtain was much too long, so this led to a bit of water splashing on the floor, plus water collected on the wood-framed window that’s in the shower stall. It’s damaging the windows sill and could cause some mildew growth. Besides the shower’s design flaw and no heat, the room was very cozy. It has wood paneling everywhere, and thus reminded me of a sauna interior without the heat!

The communal area has a pool table, fireplace, bar, kitchen, pool, and TV room. There was always some catchy music playing in the common area. It was low season, but there were still a fair number of people staying there. At least 10, I’d say. It was very difficult to tell who was staying there and who was staff. As I found out later, some of the long-term guests there have been entrusted to sit behind the counter. I like hostels where there is a lot of trust like that, so learning that was not at all alarming.

While there, we did the Port Elizabeth city tour, and the Kamma (sp?) game reserve. It was a little pricey at 250 ZAR and 220 ZAR per person, but it covered more ground than we could have covered on our own, and we got some good background information from our guide (Lee) who grew up in PE.

I’d be curious to check out the place in summer. Just imagining a braai going with a few brews, the pool, the music, and the kitchen…and the place full of people…it would be fun. a

Room Tip: The dorms are in the main building and are right off main common areas. Whether this is a plus or mi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulino636
Clare-Amber, Administrator at Lungile Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

Good day.

Thank you for the review. We are looking into the water problem in the room. Glad to hear that the lodge facilities (communal area with pool table and fireplace, bar and kitchen) were to your liking! Always nice to hear that you enjoyed the city tour of Port Elizabeth and found it informative and the game reserve tour, which I hope was a great experience. Please come visit us again in the summer for a braai! regards, Lungile Lodge

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was received kindly of John and Leigh from the Lugile Lodge in the evening. We had a lot of fun together from the first moment!!!! The stuff is friendly and helpful, you get good advices for activities, and surrounding area!!! Nice atmosphere with modern and clean rooms, very cosy!!! swimming pool outside Perfect place to go on a safari in Addo Elephant Park for example. keep it up guys
cheers chris

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank chrissiandlissi

Hi Chris

Thank you for your review. Happy to hear that the staff were friendly and helpful and gave good advice regarding activities! We hope you enjoyed your stay and had a good experience with us!:)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Was traveling on my own last April-May in South Africa and had a 2 day stop in PE. Didn't know where to stay so I picked a hostel in the Coast 2 Coast guide and I'm so lucky I chose Lungile!!! Had such a great time there. Leigh and John are such great hosts and they know how to make you comfortable, they help you to plan your trip and even organize some events! Met loads of fun people there. If you're open-minded, looking to meet people and have a fun time this place is for you!
Amina :)

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Mynameisamina

Good Day Amina

Thank you for your review. Its good to know that you had such a fun time at the lodge and that it gave you the opportunity to meet new people!! Kind regards, Lungile Lodge

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how much there was to see and do in Port Elizabeth and loved my stay at Lungile. The private room I was in was very comfortable and clean. There was enough people around that there was a great atmosphere and Leigh, John & Casey were very hospitable and went out of their way to make my stay very memorable. It was pretty cold while I was there but nice and cosy by the fire in the lounge, a good place to meet other travellers and relax. Make sure you get out on a walking tour of P.E with John or Leigh, loads to see in town and nice to do it on foot... Will definitely be back one day!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Claire G

Hi Claire

Thank you for the lovely review. Glad to know your stay with us was a memorable one! (with help from the staff:). Hope you enjoyed the cosiness of the fire place on those cold days you spent with us! It was a pleasure having you and hope you come visit us again soon!:)