“Fine for the overnight stop”

The Hippo Backpackers
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I would only stay at this hostel for the short overnight baz bus stop.

The facilities are old, dated and unclean.

They have a nice pool but that's it. Glad I only had to stay one night.

The staff didn't make things clear when we arrived and we were all confused as to what she wanted us to do.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Pug88
There are newer reviews for The Hippo Backpackers

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here only for one night. We arrived late and we left early so we dont have much tobsay about the hostel. We had a basic dorm for ourselves and the facilities were ok. The staff recieved us and they were very friendly. Free wifi.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed here for one night between travelling but would have been happy to stay longer. We chose it as it was a collection point for the Baz Bus.
We booked a twin room which was clean and secure, with a small bathroom opposite. The kitchen area was large and clean, there was free wifi and a computer available for use, tv, pool, lots of info for travellers.
The lady who works there, Patricia, was very friendly and happy to help. She gave us directions to the local Spar shop and was quite worried we would get lost, and seemed genuinely relieved when we arrived back safely!
There is a resident dog too, a very old boxer called Tyson, who was lovely, really friendly and very comfortable around strangers.
Overall it was a very nice play to stop, we only wished we could have stayed longer as we arrived around 5pm and left at 6.45am the next day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We were only in town for one night, but i think it would have been fine for 2--there were only four guests in the whole place so it was very quiet; great pool and poolside area, modest kitchen but it works, small indoor common area, braai area outside, decent sized dorms with worn but clean sheets, basic bathrooms but clean, tea and toast for breakfast; nice manager, very safe with a locked gate to the outside; they have laundry (30 rand for wash/dry/fold but it was out of order); they are close to a street with nice restaurants and bars which are open late (11 pm is when kitchens close) so it's safe enough to walk to and from the hostel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kpcharlier
Reviewed 3 December 2012

On my trip to South Africa, the Hippo Backpackers has been one of my favorite places to stay so far! I really enjoyed the helpful and very friendly staff! Since I haven't been to PE before, they did a good job showing me around and explaining the directions to me on the map. In gerneral one can say that the Backpackers is basically quiet, and a really nice place to relax (especially with the pool ;)). But even if you don't feel like sitting at the pool or at the bar in the backpackers and would rather go out, Hippo is a good choice. You live just 2 mins away from a lot of good restaurants and cool bars.
To sum up my experiences i would say: one of the cleanest backpackers so far, save and fun area around, nice staff, good for relaxing and going out at the same time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2012

what a punch of unproffesional people!!!! I called to make a booking for one week, which was confirmed. Asked if I should make a deposit and/or confirm antything via e-mail. i was assured that the twin room was available and they don't even have bookings in the dorm during this week...today - check in date - I received a call, telling me that they don't have a room available after all..I actually did send a confirmation e-mail yesterday to make sure all is in order. Apparently they have a large group coming in - very obvilous, that if they did not have any bookings yesterday, only us - one room - they received a booking for all beds and decided that it was the better option for them and cancelled us - talk about greedy!!!! Now I have to look for a new accommodation....I do not advise you to book there - as maybe this will happen to you too - money talks....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank birgit p
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed 3nights in double room, the shover was very small and night time was very cold and there is no heater, maybe summer is better for comming here. Othervise the place is nice,staff is very friendly and helpfull. We went to lion park and 1day to Jeffrey's bay. Tmrw going to Kruger for safari. If you planning to come here don't go to center sooo bad I mean the people , it is not safe at all and there is no much to do eather. You can go for coffe to dunkin reserve and that's it. Just do the safari here and get out. I was expecting more from Port Elizabeth . There is one guy he runs a taxi compani between port Elizabeth and Jeffrey's bay also take you anywhere he is very nice and cheap as well 0027824495735 it's 24 hours taxi

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple