“Uninspiring and perhaps a bit unsafe”

Schotia Safaris Private Game Reserve
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I decided to take a game drive with the Schotia group. It was an evening drive that was from 3pm to 9pm. We did not stay at the accommodation, but paid for a group drive.

Overall the experience was ok. I was uninspired by the game park, it was very small. They had a lot of animals, and we got to see most of them. What we were unhappy with was our guide. He was terrible at spotting animals, stalled in the strangest spots, and texted while driving. Another member of the party asked if we could drive closer to the lions, and he said no because the tortoises were mating and quite active, and we couldn't risk driving over unmarked terrain. That is more than acceptable, but then after the dinner he roared veered off the track and drove right up to the Lions, shining spot lights in their faces and parking less than 10 feet away. I thought this was very inappropriate, and he even admitted he could get in a lot of trouble if his bosses knew. All we could think of was he wanted a bigger tip. We also drove very close to the elephants in the dark, and the female was quite agitated. He said they were just playing together, but it looked more like her being blinded and trying to protect her baby.

The good things were that we got to see a lot of animals, and the dinner was very nice. The food was hot and excellent. We have been on better drives before, but I think this was a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I would not take this drive again, but I think perhaps our case was not the norm, as they do get good reviews.

3  Thank bnohr
in 5 reviews
"tea coffee"
"no electricity"

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My son and I spent a wonderful day enjoying the animals. Stayed overnight in the tented camp. Enjoyed the food ++

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We liked a lot this Safari tour with our excellent and professional ranger, Malcolm, thanks for the great day and all the information what we didn't know about all animals, yet. Just want to recommend this safari to anybody who want to see all(most), just leopard was missing. Malcolm also have a great sense of humor. We also visited with them in Elephant park Addo in the morning... it was a great start for the day. Also have to say that the daily schedule was as it was planned. The ranger tok us from our lodge as it was planned and drove back just before 11PM. Excellent day.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My daughter and I decided on Schotia for our annual Mom and Daughter weekend away. It was fun, relaxed and very enjoyable. The staff Jenny, Ella and the rangers Niekie & Malcolm were so friendly, helpful but still professional. We felt at home. The game drive on the reserve itself was amazing..We saw lions mating, elephants , hippos, crododiles, all kinds of buck and even the loveable rhinos and the gracious giraffes. Niekie our ranger was very informative and his sense of humour...... The dinner at the lapa was delicious. Our lodge was sooo beautiful with candles along the pathway and inside the bungalow. Niekie lid the fireplace, my daughter had a bubble bath in the cutest bathroom while I was sipping on my whiskey in front of the fireplace.. I can go on and on and on... Thank you Schotia for a wonderful time.. 10 out of 10...