“Good B&B in great suburb”

Oak Tree Cottage Guest House
Australia
“Good B&B in great suburb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

The exterior of the B&B is outstanding with manicured lawns and gardens. The room we were given was not the best- built underground next to the pool. However it was large, clean & comfortable. The furnishings wre a little outdated and need upgrading. We were the only guests for most of the 4 nights we stayed there- apart from the staff who were there on and off. Breakfast was good. The staff did help us with our laundry which was helpful. Cindy has just taken over this B&B a few months back and is still finding her feet.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the failily roooms at the back.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Grahamstown, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

This e-mail was sent to the owner the next week and I received no response.

I was quite surprised to learn that my daughter and I would be the sole occupants of the guest house property this weekend, and quite honestly, would have preferred to know that in advance. I was nonplussed also, to hear from Mavis (who was very friendly but not easily negotiated with) that it would be a problem for me to pay by credit card (since I had been assured this would be in order when booking) and she requested me to settle in cash instead - most inconvenient.

One of the bedside lamp bulbs had blown and Mavis first suggested that a new light bulb could be purchased on Monday, after we had left , (she did not seem to have access to supplies in the house) until I suggested that she find us another lamp, which she did.

My daughter requested a poached egg, which, when it came, could have been used to play tennis. She asked if we would like fruit, and offered slices of apples and pears (?), and then produced tinned fruit salad, which was fine.

When I requested breakfast at 8.30 on Sunday, Mavis tried to talk me into 8.00 am instead, until I explained that my daughter was not well and needed her rest. However, we were awoken much earlier by one of the cats meowing urgently at our door!

The package of ear buds and cotton balls contained a used ear bud - very definitely. Our pillows had a definite musty and unpleasant smell.

We liked the setting in the garden, but did wonder why, out of 10 rooms, and with us being the only guests, we were given a dark room, with a damp bathroom, and no table and chairs, stuck away behind the swimming pool wall?

We did not seem to have access to any other DSTV channels besides Movie Magic.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Itchyfeet6224
Cindz M, Owner at Oak Tree Cottage Guest House, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Oak Tree Cottage is now under new ownership. I have noted your concern from a past experience and can assure you that all measures are in place to avoid this re-occuring. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Cindy

Travellers are raving about these Port Elizabeth hotels