“Disappointing stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Elizabeth
Oak Tree Cottage Guest House
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in the 2 bedroom/2bathroom cottage at the rear of the property. We stayed for 1 night in early January (hottest and muggiest time of year). There were no fans or aircon in the rooms. We couldn't sleep with windows open as gardens were quite overgrown and Mosquitos were in abundance. One bathroom had a leaky toilet which made the place smell of sewage. The shower head was broken and unusable. The other bathroom had the previous occupants hair everywhere. Self catering facilities were average - we had to rinse dishes in the bathroom basin as there are no other washing facilities. The blinds in the one room were broken so you couldn't roll them up. Furniture VERY dated as well as decor. Overall I found the place pleasant but a bit expensive for what was on offer. The manager was new so we can't blame him, but the place seems generally run down.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sammjamm
Pollie M, Owner at Oak Tree Cottage Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2015

Thank you for the review. Unfortunately I have only taken over in November 2014 and would like you to come again and ensures you of the best attention and hospitality in PE.
Kind regards Pollie

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I stayed in the 2 bedroomed 'cottage' with my sister for 4 nights in February 2013, whilst visiting friends in Walmer. We both found the accommodation to be clean, spacious, well furnished and well equipped for a self-catering stay. The gardens and swimming pool are beautifully maintained, and the dining/breakfast room bright and welcoming. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast was plentiful with a good choice. The property, which is only a short distance from the airport,restaurants and shopping malls, is securely enclosed, with electronic gates and spacious parking. I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroomed, 2 bathrooms cottage which is seperate from the main house, and set wel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The exterior of the B&B is outstanding with manicured lawns and gardens. The room we were given was not the best- built underground next to the pool. However it was large, clean & comfortable. The furnishings wre a little outdated and need upgrading. We were the only guests for most of the 4 nights we stayed there- apart from the staff who were there on and off. Breakfast was good. The staff did help us with our laundry which was helpful. Cindy has just taken over this B&B a few months back and is still finding her feet.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the failily roooms at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This e-mail was sent to the owner the next week and I received no response.

I was quite surprised to learn that my daughter and I would be the sole occupants of the guest house property this weekend, and quite honestly, would have preferred to know that in advance. I was nonplussed also, to hear from Mavis (who was very friendly but not easily negotiated with) that it would be a problem for me to pay by credit card (since I had been assured this would be in order when booking) and she requested me to settle in cash instead - most inconvenient.

One of the bedside lamp bulbs had blown and Mavis first suggested that a new light bulb could be purchased on Monday, after we had left , (she did not seem to have access to supplies in the house) until I suggested that she find us another lamp, which she did.

My daughter requested a poached egg, which, when it came, could have been used to play tennis. She asked if we would like fruit, and offered slices of apples and pears (?), and then produced tinned fruit salad, which was fine.

When I requested breakfast at 8.30 on Sunday, Mavis tried to talk me into 8.00 am instead, until I explained that my daughter was not well and needed her rest. However, we were awoken much earlier by one of the cats meowing urgently at our door!

The package of ear buds and cotton balls contained a used ear bud - very definitely. Our pillows had a definite musty and unpleasant smell.

We liked the setting in the garden, but did wonder why, out of 10 rooms, and with us being the only guests, we were given a dark room, with a damp bathroom, and no table and chairs, stuck away behind the swimming pool wall?

We did not seem to have access to any other DSTV channels besides Movie Magic.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Itchyfeet6224
Cindz M, Owner at Oak Tree Cottage Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Oak Tree Cottage is now under new ownership. I have noted your concern from a past experience and can assure you that all measures are in place to avoid this re-occuring. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Cindy