Road Lodge Port Elizabeth
US$104
Singa Lodge(Summerstrand)
US$177
US$94
All reviewsbudget lodgeaffordable accommodationreception staffbeach roadroom was cleancape townperfect locationbusiness triphousekeepinginternet
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Very good value for money, basic room, no fridge, bad service, unfriendly staff, variety of restaurants to choose from to bring take-aways - food not good at all ... but overall not bad for just one night

Room Tip: No lifts ... so if you don't want to struggle with your heavy suitcase up the stairs, ask for the ground floor - not many planes, so not really interfering
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Stunningchick69
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We chose this hotel because we had a late arrival into P.E. and an early departure the next day. We couldn't see the sense in paying more when we really just needed a place to crash. We wanted multiple rooms for the family and tried to email ahead to confirm this. The hotel didn't respond to emails, but were happy enough to accommodate our request on arrival.

The rooms are small. Like Formule 1 style small. Small TV, small bed. The shower is in the corner of the room and only has a see through door separating it from the rest of the room. Don't stay in a twin room unless you are really good friends with your travelling companion, or you want to be. There is no lift, and stairs to carry your bags up. Seriously, who designs a new hotel (which this is) without a lift?

Still, clean and comfortable enough. Staff were friendly and helpful - even to the point of helping us with our bags up the stairs. More service than I expected in a hotel at this price point.

We were going to the boardwalk for dinner, and the hotel staff arranged a shuttle. However, this was a bit ridiculous as the place was just next to the hotel, with just a service station seperating the two. We felt more than comfortable just walking back to the hotel afterwards.

In the morning we went across the road to the beachfront cafes for breakfast. Great location for a one night stay, with the boardwalk one side, and the beach the other.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank inas66
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed here one night, and was itching to upgrade to a better hotel the next morning. First of all, the hotel is in a great location. It is in one of the best areas of Humewood literally a 2-3 minute walk to the boardwalk. There is ample free parking, and the staff was nice enough.
The rooms were very small, the beds were hard and uncomfortable, and the TV was tiny and had 3 channels. The shower was not in the bathroom, and was open to the small bedroom, which was kind of awkward as I was sharing the room with a male friend of mine. I was told by management that all rooms had showers openly visible to the bedroom. Like most of SA, Wifi was available but at a very high price.
In all fairness, the hotel does not pretend to be a swanky upscale boutique hotel. It is cheap, and functional with a good location. I enjoyed my stay at their sister hotel, City Lodge, but paid a bit extra to have a few more frills.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Noturavg
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Though the room was affordable,clean and centrally located we experienced theft of my cellphone.We left the room at 23h35 and upon return about half an hour later discovered my cellphone to be missing.Amazingly they detected that someone other than us entered our room at 23h39!!Believe it within 4minutes...
The proof is there as management checked in the morning which key was used to enter the room and was found it was an Emergency Security Key after their reception staff duty told me that they do not keep any master keys on the premises and on persisting to see the manager I was told that the manager is not available during the night and that I have to wait till 06h00 the morning when the manager comes on duty.Amazingly another person in another room explained to manager in the the morning that her daughters cellphone was also taken from their room the night before and that in there case the staff just said "It never happened before"!Iwould not recommend this lodge to any one as what was suppose to be a relaxing weekend with my husband who visited S.A from the UK for the 1st time turned out as a bad introductory.DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cathygallant4
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I had to visit PE for a product launch. All I needed was place to stay over for the night. Road Lodge filled this requirement and more. Conveniently situated to where I needed to be. Close to the Boardwalk & Casino. Plenty of restaurants to choose from close by.

The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The room was neat, tidy and clean.

If I have to overnight again somewhere, I'd look up the Road Lodge again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business