After a very long haul flight from madrid to port elizabeth via johannesburg... this was perfect.
A quick, cheap taxi ride from the airport brought us to the leafy suburb of walmer. The accommodation is a luxurious manor house.... very large rooms... big bath with candles... huge shower... four poster bed... gorgeous big balcony - perfect for a glass of wine under the stars. Slightly dated decor in room, but you'd definitely forgive it.
The service was good... however, being a 5 star establishment, I thought it could be a bit slicker. (it felt a bit "family-run")
There is an AMAZING dinner every night which you should not miss. A 4 course meal, with great wine list... it was fabulous.
The location is not exactly in the hub of things.... however, it's perfect for a stopover, especially after a long flight. We certainly didn't feel like heading out for a night on the town. Pampering ourselves with a night of luxury here seemed like a far better option.
(Port elizabeth isn't exactly brimming over with luxury accommodation! So this was a pleasant surprise)
Oh, and one more thing... the breakfast - to die for!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1898, and nestled in a lush English garden setting in the leafy suburb of Walmer, Hacklewood Hill is one of the few remaining Victorian Manor Houses in the city, and as such retains much of the elegance and grace it would have boasted when its first inhabitants – a young doctor and his family – once lived here. Guests are greeted with intricately stained glass doors, gleaming wooden floors and the gentle sheen of wooden banisters lovingly buffed and polished for more than a century. Wandering around the house’s two reception rooms, your eye naturally gravitates from one fascinating period piece to another. A black and white checkerboard tiled veranda overlooks a sparkling swimming pool, perfect for leisurely dips on hot summer days – while the well-established garden beckons for a quiet stroll or perhaps even a civilised game of croquet on the lawn. The more energetic can opt for a gentlemanly game of tennis or just choose a secluded spot in the garden to enjoy the abundant birdlife which calls the grounds of Hacklewood home. The manor house’s eight luxury en suite rooms which are equally as enticing, especially as each so perfectly captures the essence of the Victorian Age. Each is individually decorated in palettes ranging from pastel blues and rose bedecked pinks to more masculine browns and reds. As a result, each room has its own unique character and returning guests will enjoy experiencing them all, and will, no doubt, be loath to pick a favourite at the end. In order to truly experience Hacklewood Hill at the height of its stately Victorian glory, guests need to make a point of opting for at least one dinner at the house’s five star restaurant. The dining room’s magnificent chandelier lights, to full perfection the cut glass, crystal goblets, starched linen and full silver service on the tables below, while superbly trained waiters serve a splendid array of cordon bleu dishes that emanate from the kitchen. Little wonder that the restaurant has garnered itself a slew of fine dining awards and has become a firm favourite on the Port Elizabeth dining scene – not only for its exquisite dinners, but also full English breakfasts, High Tea's and light lunches. For a thoroughly enjoyable trip back to a time when days were long and unhurried, furnishings were beautiful and handmade, and every meal was an occasion to use only the best china and silverware, guests need look no further than Hacklewood Hill Country House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hacklewood Hill Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacklewood Hill Country House Hotel Port Elizabeth
- Hacklewood Hill Country Hotel