“Huge room”

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
iceland
“Huge room”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We really liked it there, huge rooms ( there were 3 of us so two bedrooms), huge bathroom connecting the two, seriously, this was almost as huge as my own flat. All very comfy, great shower, great bath, but, no room service nor a resturant except for breakfast. They also could not help us to order out so that was a bit of a bother. But we liked the service, we were just there for one night tho so we did not need much. It is a bit away from town, the taxis will rip you off big time, no supermarket or a little store to buy drinks around, at least, not what I found. All very clean and we got free wii fii, I always am happy with that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
humew00d, Manager at The Windermere by Mantis, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review on your stay here with us at The Windermere Hotel . Your comments are greatly appreciated as we strive to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible at all times.
We are delighted to hear that you did enjoy your time spent here with us but distressed to hear of your disappointment in being unaware of our room service that was on offer. There is in the guest information file - which is in all rooms - a substantial "Lite Meal" menu which is available virtually 24 hours. We do also have a Mr Delivery service available should something specialized be required.
A reliable shuttle/taxi service is also only a phone call away - numbers listed in info file and of course a member of staff can always book this service when required.
Do hope you enjoyed your holiday here in south Africa and thank you once again for your comments and hopefully you will one day get to visit us again when next down our way.

Warm regards

Caroline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cape Town
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Windermere is a fine 9-bedroom B&B, centrally located in Port Elizabeth, accessible quickly and easily from the airport. It comprises a pair of old houses that has been converted and added to, to create an charming 5-star boutique "hotel", though it operates in fact as a bed-and-breakfast establishment. It has a pool, an attractive sheltered outdoor patio, a separate self-service bar, and a dining room where a good breakfast is served. There are under-cover garages.

My guest-room was huge, with a large bathroom (containing a shower and a bath), air-conditioning, very comfortable twin beds, a TV (with a very limited choice of channels), a fridge and an private courtyard. Surprisingly, there was no in-room coffee-/tea-making facilities, though these could be ordered by telephone. There is free and unrestricted WiFi.

The establishment is attractive and comfortable, and ideal for both leisure and business travellers. The staff are pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IkariaCapeTown
New York City
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A wonderful hotel. The property is beautiful, inviting and well serviced. I am surprised by the previous review. Caroline was so nice (as was everyone else at the hotel), really helpful and just lovely to deal with both via email in advance and in person. She really cares about the property and her guests. My room had a veranda and it seems that most if not all have a balcony or patio. The room was MASSIVE. I have lived in apartments that were smaller. Great bathroom with separate shower and tub and gorgeous floors. Upon check in, I was treated to a tea service on my veranda. There are lovely indoor and outdoor lounge areas, a bar and a small pool with lounge chairs. Good wifi. A very nice made to order breakfast and they really do cater to their guests. Since it was off season, they were taking advantage of the slower time by doing repairs and maintenance. From what I could see it was all proactive work as the place was just in top shape. To me it just showed how much care is put into the property. You can walk from the hotel to the Boardwalk area and downtown PE is a short taxi ride away. They are happy to help you with taxi services, etc. Port Elizabeth is not necessarily a top destination, but this hotel is a great place to stay. (I did have one small incident that I wasn't sure if I should share, but I did find a roach in the bathroom on my last day, but the staff came quickly and took care of it for me. The place is so clean and well cared for, I think it is a fluke.)

> roach?

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As a registered PCO (Professional Conference Organiser), I sent an accommodation enquiry to the hotel requesting for a comprehensive quotation to send to my client (it was for a small group for one of SA's biggest Unions). I then received a one liner e mail from Caroline giving me a rate for their rooms. Subsequent to this, I called them and spoke to Caroline trying to explain that I needed a proper quotation on their letterhead which I could send to my client. She arrogantly advised me that its a ridiculous request and the e mail is all she can do. I then asked her if they would rather lose business than send me a quotation but she casually still maintained her statement. I asked to speak to the General Manager and she said to me "I am the manager and this is as big as it gets so you can only speak to ME". After trying to further explain what I needed she said to me "thank you for your enquiry but if you cant use the e mail I sent you then no thanks, we will not be doing that". I find this VERY unprofessional and unbelievable especially when we are trying to push business to this hotel. We will NEVER send any of our guests or groups to this venue!

Room Tip: The quality of service will always be truly reflected in the first contact with the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Auckland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were only here one night briefly before departing on the Garden Route but was our very first stop off in South Africa. Extremely comfortable with a massive room and bathroom. Would definitely recommend Windermere for travellers looking for something a little more boutique and intimate than the larger hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days while visiting family in Port Elizabeth. The room was well appointed - and we were very grateful for the heating in the bathroom. The carpets and curtains are a bit dated and in need to cleaning/replacing. The staff were really professional and helpful. Breakfast was very well done with good choice. Because we were out all day - we ate a light meal here in the evenings - and they were good on both nights that we did this. They also lit the fire for us. The down side however are the stairs. On some of them there is no hand rail. They have garaged parking for the car which is a plus. The location is good and close to the beach (however it was not beach weather but still nicer to be close to the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of town.

Room Tip: if you do not want lots of steps this needs to be flagged when booking.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The interiors of this well located establishment are to die for...simple and elegant. The rooms are very large and spacious, with tasteful en-suite bathrooms. The staff were so helpful and couldn't do enough to ensure our stay was a delight- even greeting us with a big smile to open the doors for us at 3:30am in the morning after a long night out. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends