“Non chain hotel with a unique style”
Review of Kelway Hotel

Kelway Hotel
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have stayed a few times over the last 3 years and it is a nice, non corporate hotel.

This time though a couple of positives and negatives:

Free wifi now
Upgraded rooms
Consistent friendly staff

But

Bathrooms smaller than ibis Europe in the updated room I seem to have
Staff munching their way through the buffet whisker paying guests still there - I have no objection to them having something to eat but not when paying guests are there.

Winter menu seems limited and rosti comes from the freezer?

But still better han others ovetall

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank CliveB
There are newer reviews for Kelway Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed for one night en route to the garden route. The room was cozy with a view over the sea. The staff were helpful. It was the quiet season but we were made very welcome. Breakfast was lovely. The pool looked small.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Good hotel for a short or casual stay. The major interest of this hotel is its restaurant, very great international food! The bedrooms were modern, well appointed, spacious and clean. The swimming pool area is small but ok for a sun bath or a quick swim to refresh ourselves. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Being in Port Elizabeth on business for the weekend, I stayed at The Kelway Hotel. My stay was cosy and enjoyable. Breakfast in the morning was relaxing and of good quality. I eat at the restaurant once and it was great. Had a juicy and delicious burger with egg + bacon + cheese, veg and chips for only R50 (would of eaten there every night if it wasn’t for prior arrangements). The staff was friendly and the management was fantastic. Value for money, The Kelway Hotel punches above its weight class.

Room Tip: Get a see facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We first had our Year End Function there 2 years ago, fantastic location with the view of the ocean. We recently had our company's Roadshow in April and the conference room was up to standard but for the second time their food was not. I wanted to prove myself wrong the first time but the second time was the same, their food was still not good. The place on its own is beautiful with a partio with benches where you would sit and admire the scenery of the harbour with friends near a bar area. Their rest rooms where not tidy, I'm afraid I will not consider it for any other functions in future as I had too many complaints from my colleagues.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Very tired hotel, it may have seen better days and is long overdue refurbishment. There was a wedding party using the dining room the evening of our stay, the only food on offer for paying guests that evening was the remains of a buffet and little else. Our room had a balcony, unfortunatly it was home to a flock pigeons who would not leave and used it as their toilet. I am unable to say anything positive about this hotel other than that there are lots of other hotels in Port Elizabeth that are just as convenient for the airport and seafront and I wish we had used one of them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I didn't like this hotel for the following reasons:

1. My room was very dark as it looked out onto a high, sheer wall just feet away.

2. When I escaped the depressing atmosphere to sit on the balcony outside the restaurant, staff would not deliver my suitcase to my room as I was not there.

3. The bar area was full of smokers.

4. Breakfast started much later than it should have done, with the result that we had a rather inadequate meal.

Perhaps I just had a particularly bad experience, but I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends