“OK property but great hospitality”

Bluewater Beachfront Guest House
Ranked #61 of 230 Port Elizabeth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The people of this guesthouse definitely made our stay here better.The staff were all really friendly and very helpful. The rooms were just average- nothing special, however a few rooms have really beautiful views. I do however think that there may be better options particularly in better areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Bluewater Beachfront Guest House

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I spent 4 nights here for work. The staff were friendly, the location is good, and the breakfasts very decent. However the rooms and matresses need an upgrade, the lamp was broken, and the quality of the fittings quite poor. The communal geyser located in te roof of my room woke me up in the night. There is noise from dogs in the surrounding properties. I did not return here on my next visit to PE.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I found this guesthouse by luck after a terrible experience at a Guesthouse in Seaview Port Elizabeth. I called late on a Thursday Evening around 11pm and was happy I did. The phone was answered by a friendly gentleman by the name of Harry who was the owner. I explained my situation and he was more than happy to help me. Harry explained the various rooms that he had available, there were not too many to choose from as it was for a Friday evening and he stated they were pretty full. I chose one that was not yet on the website and luckily for me it was not on the site so it had not been booked. Harry stated if it was not so late, he would of said we should come right now so we could have a good night’s rest as I explained my current situation to him. I stated I would look at my various options when I arrived in the morning and choose from what was available and suited my needs. I paid a deposit via his website straight away.

When I arrived at 9am sharp Friday Morning as per our telephone conversation that was the time we agreed to meet. The outer building was stunning and overlooking the ocean. I pressed the gate bell and was let in. I went to the upper office and breakfast was still being served, it looked exceptionally yummy. I was greeted by Nardia who was ever so helpful right from the start. She was expecting me and knew my situation, I was going to look at one or two rooms and make my decision. I looked at the one seaview room, wow what a seaview but it had a double bed only and we needed 2 single beds for mum and me.

She then showed me the room Harry had originally stated I should choose The Joycelyn Family Unit. It was stunning and newly renovated, it was tiled, cool and clean. We had our own balcony and were able to block off the stairs for the dogs to run around and not worry of them getting out. I had a look around to be safe, I loved it, chose that room and went back to the office with Nardia and paid the remaining amount owed. Returned to the car to mum and the woofiies and stated I was happy and we had a clean, spacious comfy place to rest this evening, we drove to the back of the property and unpacked had a cup of coffee and went out for the day to Port Elizabeth which was roughly 10-15km away. The room was spacious and comfortable, but most of all very clean and fresh.

In the morning we went to breakfast and were greeted by Tammy the friendly staff member who took our hot breakfast order. We helped ourselves to some freshly baked goods, cold meats, cheese and fruit salads, cereals all the normal goodies for a cold breakfast. After breakfast we packed up and thanked everyone for their kindness and hospitality. Harry and his staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful for the duration of our stay. I would recommend Bluewater Beachfront Guest House as a choice of stay when in the area.

Room Tip: We chose the Joycelyn Family Unit, Pet Friendly and Private.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank chefsam77
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Good location, great hospitality from the owner and staff. Very good beds, breakfast. The only thing was the cleaning of the patio and the swimming pool, could be better. Will come back here next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We overnighted to & from the Transkei & both nights were very good - close to highway, very helpful & friendly staff, well appointed room that was really comfy with king size bed, wi-fi, delicious breakfast, close to beach, quiet ......... what more do you need!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

WHen we booking this hotel we ask if there some restaurants around and things to do. As we did not have a car and were told there was several, but there was only a hamburger chain in the corner of a grim shopping center car park and a dodgy bar next door. We ended up just ordering a pizza and eating on the balcony. The rooms were ok needed a renovation and the pool was a bit dirty and needed some landscapping and comfy chairs.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Thankfully we stayed only one night at this lodge. We booked it primarily because we wanted to get laundry done and I needed to do some work upon arrival and they advertise a business center - not sure where that was.
Good Points -I was able to get on the internet and do some work - that is a plus in South Africa where wifi at lodges is sometimes tough to find. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and had a water view - we booked the Seaview Suite. The service was good - everyone here is very nice and helpful.
The lodge is also quite reasonable in price - but there is a reason for that.
Negatives - The bathroom in our room is in bad need of a renovation - the toilet broke and we had to take the top off the toilet tank each time to flush the toilet. My husband tried to fix it but the mechanism had pretty much disintegrated - something that happened well before our visit.
Another reviewer mentioned that there is nothing in the area with regards to restaurants, etc. That is true. This guest house is in the middle of a subdivision in Port Elizabeth that has no amenities to offer. Due to that we had dinner at the guest house. It was an interesting dinner in that it seemed they were feeding an awful lot of people that definitely were not staying at the guest house. The food itself was fine for a buffet dinner. The safe in the room did not work. We didn't leave the property during our stay but that would have been an issue if we had - especially considering the amount of people that showed up for dinner from 5-9PM that were not staying at the guest house.
We did get our laundry done for a reasonable price but I didn't realize that pretty much everywhere you go in South Africa they will do your laundry for a reasonable price.
I don't like to give negative reviews but I also use Trip Advisor to research properties and appreciate an honest review so I know what to expect when I get to a property.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple