“Improve”

Victoria and Alfred Guest House
Ranked #34 of 230 Port Elizabeth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Please improve the maintenance of the rooms, Shower's tap falls of Room 17 & 10, TV channels completely messed up. the rest that I'm typing is to get to 200 hundred characters of one o other reason it must me 200

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Izak S
There are newer reviews for Victoria and Alfred Guest House

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I made the booking at V&A Guest House because of the rating of 8.7 and because of the price. The check-in was done excellently by a very pleasant lady. She showed us to a room on the first floor, and when I explained to her that the picture we were shown on confirmation of the booking, showed a downstairs unit. and that is what we would like.She then showed me 2 of the downstairs units. I chose the bigger room with a lounge suite in it. At first glance all seemed fine in the room, but at closer glance, the lounge suite was filthy.The top of the couch where the neck line reached - was black with grime. The bathroom grouting between the tiles was black with mould, and so was the shower. There was no TV Remote or Aircon remote anywhere in the room. I called reception to find out where the remotes were, and was told that I must collect it at reception, as I must pay a deposit. I was given 4 remotes. 1 of the remote connected to the aircon, but not one of the other 3 worked for the TV. I notified reception, and was told that it would be sorted out, and I must not yet pay a deposit. We went out for supper and received a call from the host Ricky. He advised us that the Television was not working, and that he will give us another room with a bath, but with no lounge. He offered to move all our belongings to the other room. He was very pleasant. On arrival we collected our keys to the new room - all our belongings were placed in the room. I noticed stains on the duvet cover, which proved that the duvet cover has not been washed The duvet inner was as thin as a sheet, and the sheets and pillow cases were old, and un-ironed. There were 2 towels on the bed - old, washed out and freighed - It resembled wash rags, and should never be given to guests to use.This bathroom too, was dirty with grime in the grouting in the shower and tiles and around the taps. The basin had no plug, and the basin mixer was totally loose. I removed the dirty duvet from the bed.The next morning I realized there was no hairdrier in the room when wanting to dry my hair. My overall impression was that there is no or very little housekeeping going on at V&A. Although the staff are very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast good, it does not make up for the lack of house keeping. Outside too, you notice detoriation - the ponds are not working and half filled with water- pot planters are broken- paint peeling off walls - visible damp on walls -impression of neglect.RATING-4.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The room and service was great BUT the TV in the room was not up to the standard of the accommodation. It was too high and a flat screen would be preferable
Secondly we needed a second towel for each guest - even if only a hand towel in addition to the bath towel. Thank you

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very comfortable, staff were friendly.
Room was neat & tidy.
Did not enjoy the shower but the the bath tub was very nice.
Breakfast was good, the staff were very efficient.
Will definitely make use of this facility again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Good guest house close to the airport. As we left early for a flight the staff prepared a breakfast box fot us which was nice.
The location was a bit difficult to find and not in a very nice neighborhood but the GPS helped.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent one very pleasant night at the V&A. The room was large, clean, and had tv, hot water in the shower... all the things you look for in a nice guesthouse. They charge for internet use after the first half hour, which is the only negative. We ordered pizza delivery, which they let us sit and eat in the bar, and it was a nice place to sit and drink some beers.
I was most grateful to the girls on reception for finding me an emergency appointment with a good dentist the following morning. I had been suffering some discomfort and ended up needing (and having) root canal therapy. They tried lots of dentists before they could get me an appointment, so many thanks to them for taking the time to do so.
On top of the room facilities and the bar there was a large, secure car park out the back, and a pool. I would use this guesthouse again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed in no. 17 overnight in April. I would say the room is 4 star, but some serious work needs to be done on the outside. Rubbish bins and old furniture should not be left outside where every guest can see them. The breakfast was very good! Reception very friendly! I would come back to stay overnight!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple