“Hotel fine, restaurant food disgusting”

Kayenta Monument Valley Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kayenta
“Hotel fine, restaurant food disgusting”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here one night on our fly drive trip, obv to see monument valley. Hotel staff were fine although at first glance from outside the hotel looks dated (ESP as there's a hampton over the way), but inside its fine with a nice sheltered outdoor pool.

The restaurant inside, however, well that's a different story!! We were told by reception the 2 restaurants in town would be closed as it was a Sunday, and didn't fancy fast food so thought we'd try it. Mistake! Nicely laid out but the staff whilst not rude weren't friendly, we didn't tip as we felt they were robotically doing their jobs, and the food tbh was vile. I had the fiesta platter and wished I hadn't, though my husbands BBQ dinner wasn't much better. Everything on mine was coated in cheese, and I mean, COATED, it was that thick I had to plough it off with a fork. The food underneath the cheese layer was microwaved and gluey. The minuscule salad portion was fresh but minor compensation for the fact I ended up leaving half of my $15 meal as it was just disgusting. Hubby's BBQ dinner was only just better, and also microwaved, though when he asked for mash they substituted for his slaw, why not just charge extra or give the option! A foreign couple opposite we're struggling to understand the menu and the waitress was hardly accommodating, speaking to them like kids isn't going to help.

Lastly, when they gave us the bill it was accompanied by "when purée ready to pay", that's it, no "how was the food" or anything.

I'd definitely recommend the hotel but make sure you eat out, Burger King, sonic and McDs are all a short walk or drive away, and probably better for your health and wallet!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Thespis is a large motel and good enough for a night near Monument Valley. Nothing inspiring here, the rooms with two doubles are a bit tight and dated. I had to take an antihistamine as my nose started itching as soon as I got in the for. No CNN available. The price is too high.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn whilst on a 'fly drive' tour of Las Vegas and the surrounding canyons. The inn is perfectly placed for a tour of Monument Valley and we stayed just the one night. Booking in was fine and we ate at the inn and the food was fine with a decent selection for my wife who is a vegetarian. Checking out was very easy. The room was just like a motel room and the bed was comfortable. Once we worked out how to get power to the TV (switch on the wall as you enter the room powers up the TV area) all was well. We did not find staff to be as described by some others - they were fine with us and it was a good stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on 10/6/2013 and we have mixed emotions about this place.

Let's start with the PROS :
- Clean, decent rooms (our room was in the back building facing the mountains)
- Free wifi, but not very good signal.
- Good location if you're going to Monument Valley, which is about 25 miles from the hotel
- Close to center of town, gasoline station and fast-food

CONS:
- Expensive, after taxes we paid almost $190 for 1 night
- No free breakfast
- FRONT DESK STAFF. I'm not sure if they need more training for "customer service" or they're just really not friendly. We came at around 11 am and was told by the front desk that we cannot check in until 3 PM. That is ok, but she was NOT very sympathetic about the situation. I felt she was even short with us. So we decided to visit Monument Valley and came back at 4PM to check in. Unfortunately, their server was down and lots of guests, including us waited for about an hour or so. While waiting and even after the server was fixed, none of the staff was apologetic or showed any concern for all the guests.

I can't explain what it is but this hotel and Kayenta, AZ (re: stray dogs issue) has left me a bad impression.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Room 101 - two double beds - one night stay. Booked room on their web site using AAA discount. Base rate $179.10 for pool view room. Although the web site didn't state in-room free WiFi, we were told it was available; however, the connection was very slow...watching a 3 minute video was next to impossible. Breakfast was NOT included. They do have a restaurant on property but it's pricey. We ate off-property for all our meals. We arrived early (before noon) and checked to see if our room was ready. The two ladies at the front desk were professional and helpful. Our room was not ready and the ladies answered all our questions, as far as, what we could do around the area. When we came back later to check in...all went well.

The location is good if you want to visit Monument Valley (about a 20-30 minute drive) and is convenient to a grocery store, bank, restaurants, gas stations, and fast food places (Sonic, McDonalds and Burger King) which are just across the road or nearby. The Burger King has a small but very nice exhibit about the Navajo Code Talkers. I suggest you stop in and take a look.

The pool is located across from the front desk and surround by rooms making the pool an enclosed area...which is where we headed. The pool area looked inviting and well kept. Upon trying to open our front door...it stuck badly. I had to literally put my shoulder into it (ramming it a couple of times before it opened)...this happened each time I wanted to get into my room. Speaking of doors...the sliding glass door that opened to the patio/pool area was very hard to open/close. It was difficult to get it to move on the track.

The room was spacious with the typical amenities. The bathroom area has a single sink with a lot of counter space just outside the bathtub/show & toilet area. Behind the sink is a small closet area with iron/ironing board. The TV had very poor reception and channel selections were not at all impressive. Heating/cooling thermostat is located on the wall and is quiet. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. We had no problem finding parking during our stay. Property also had a fitness room and gift shop.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We arrived at the reception desk, only to be ignored by the only member of staff who was busy on a computer. Eventually we interupted her and she signed us in. I asked, “can I have a cup of coffee?” “No” she replied “it is Sunday and the whole town is shut” as blunt as that. This made me laugh and put us in that state for the rest of the one night stay. We went to their third full restaurant and where told we had to wait because there weren’t any tables available. More laughing on our part. The room was OK and the meal was OK.

Room Tip: Keep Basil in mind and laugh