“The best way to see Monument Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Keya-Hozhoni Tours

Keya-Hozhoni Tours
Ranked #6 of 7 things to do in Kayenta
Utah
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“The best way to see Monument Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Book your sunset tour with Keyah Hozoni, and request Carlos as your guide. You will not be disappointed.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great photography tour!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2008

I took a 4 hour sunset photography tour with Keyah Hozhoni Tours on October 12 and found it to be a very enjoyable experience. When I first contacted the owner, Tom Philips, I explained to him that I wanted to sign up for a tour and that I wanted to take photos (i.e. full setup with tripod etc). Since my wife does not take photos, I asked about the cheaper "regular" tour. Tom explained that he handles his "photo" tours much differently than his regular tours and if I wanted to take nice photos I would be disappointed in the regular tour he even offered to give my wife a cheaper rate since she didn't take photos (this was a nice gesture). As there were not many good reviews on this site I was worried about a problem with the tour. I called him the day I arrived (due to wind storms the day before I couldn't reach him earlier). He seemed to have forgotten our appointment after a slight delay he told me to meet him at the info booth at 3:30pm as we were staying out later due to the full moon. As it turns out he had to arrange another car, he was overbooked that day because of sandstorms the previous 2 days.

All in all the guides (Tom and his nephew Jonathan) were very friendly, helpful and informative. He concentrated on the sites best for photography at the times where the light was the best. As well, the prices seemed more reasonable than those of the other tours and he didn`t demand a 20% non-refundable deposit. This was key because you never know how the weather will turn out and you can`t take photos in high winds.

To avoid confusion I would suggest that you call him before arrival to confirm. I think that this is a function of his record keeping system than anything else.

4 Thank Mark C
New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Do a time check ... Navajo Time is an actual time zone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have not personally been on the a Keyah Hozhoni Monument Valley Tour; but I just wanted to add a comment regarding the previous review.

There is no excuse for the driver leaving him in his dust. (Bad Driver!)

Now, as for the issue of being late ... Most of Arizona DOES NOT observe daylight savings time. The Navajo reservation DOES however observe it. Based on the wait (nearly an hour) and the comment about needing to be on Navajo time, I'm guessing there was some confusion about what time it actually was. If the previous traveler showed up at Arizona time, he/she would have been an hour earlier than Navajo time.

For anyone taking a tour onto Arizona reservation lands ... whether with Keyah Hozhoni or another tour company ... please keep this time difference in mind. It's always best to confirm the time with your travel provider. It just might save you the type of frustration that the previous traveler experienced.

5 Thank desertdog2
los angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“bad tour guide experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

i booked an all day tour of monument valley and mystery valley with Keyah Hozhoni tours. the guide was 20 minutes late. he did not know who or where he was guiding. he asked me the same question three times if i was going on a tour. the owner(Tom) arrived ten minutes later. i told him i had been waiting, and i was where i was instructed to be. he told me we need to be on Navajo time. he told me he was the best guide there so i decided to give him a chance. he told me to follow him so i could park my car. he took me off road. i was driving a rental. he started speeding up this dirt road---more than 40 mph. his speed and dust trail caused me to lose him.
that was it for me.

i returned to my hotel(Gouldings), and i had a wonderful all day tour with a fantastic guide. i was completely treated professionally, and i was never told to be on Navajo time. i was treated as a paying customer.

the hotel is well situated. it is five miles from the entrance to the park, and most of the rooms offer a fantastic view of part of the park.

take your tour with Gouldings and completely forget the awful expereince i had with Keyah Hozhoni

8 Thank mordre