Free cancellation until 26/07
US$46
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$49
Idwala Lam Guest House(Mthatha)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$118
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 May 2016

A business partner and I had to go on short notice to Mthatha recently for work and most of our usual accommodation was already fully booked. We managed to get rooms at Ekhaya Guest House. This is the first time we have used this guest house and we arrived after dark tired and needing to unwind. There appear to be numerous converted houses that make up the warren of Ekhaya Guest House with only one administrative area. The signage does not do justice and booking in was annoying and frustrating as we were sent from one warren to the other to get keys only to be sent back to the wrong warren for our rooms where the staff were initially not interested. Our accommodation unit was badly lit from the outside with no lit signs so we drove past a few times and only found it due to a staff member from another unit eventually walking us there. We were advised there are different names for the units but this was never communicated to us at booking.
The rooms are pricy (R1200 ea) and not worth the money quite frankly. Mthatha has a shortage of accommodation during the week and they can get away with these prices it seems especially when booking late. One can stay at Umngazi River Bungalows at repeat rep rates for less and that includes DBB.
Having travelled the Transkei for the last 15 years in the consulting business I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Guest Houses in the region and although this one is conveniently placed close to the Golf Club and Restaurants with one warren in fact being the old golf club manager’s cottage there are better and cheaper options in Mthatha. My room was fairly large and comfortable but had no outdoor chairs or table and parking was cramped.
A disappointing experience made worse by the booking in woes.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
7  Thank John W R
Reviewed 31 October 2015

I visit Mthatha often for business and stay for quite long periods at times. I have been using a few different B&B's as the popular ones are fully booked most of the time and I often do not know well in advance of my visit. Ekhaya is one of these where it is almost impossible to get accommodation on short notice.That is probably why not much attention is given to advertising and websites etc. It is definitely one of the better ones but not my favorite. It is the most expensive (between the ones I use) for no special reason. All rooms are not the same (there are also different "branches") and some rooms is sub-standard to the pricing ... The breakfast is probably the best around here but as I am not a breakfast person it does not count much for me. I prefer not to have breakfast and also not paying for it. (That is not an option here). The girl who always help me is very friendly and the girls in the lounge and doing room service are always ready with a smile. Although I am giving it a "Very Good" rating I would have preferred "Good" because Ekhaya is better than average ...

Room Tip: Try Ekhaya 1 ... walking distance from the reception/breakfast unit and with small gate to the golf club for dinner at the La Piazza ...
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank Wim P
Reviewed 6 October 2015 via mobile

The facilities were great and the breakfast was stunning. The management however, was extremely rude and unaccomodating. We were literally thrown out because we were waiting for our ride to collect us. We weren't in the rooms, just siting on benches outside. We were forced to walk somewhere else where we could sit and wait. I would not stay here again as a result of how we were treated.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
11  Thank 899jadea
Reviewed 2 October 2015

I cannot review the facility because I can't get hold of them. Their internet presence is limited to third party sites with minimal information. Website address does not exist. I tried the landline at 8.30am on a Friday and it rang for ages but no answer.

Room Tip: Wish I could!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank Lindores
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We have stayed several times at this wonderful B&B. The accommodations are very nice and the staff is extremely helpful. The rooms are spacious and the furnishings are very nice. We strongly recommend this wonderful place to anyone looking for a place to stay in Mthatha.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business