“Excellent Rooms”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Cape Town
“Excellent Rooms”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and was pleasantly surprised with my room. Very clean and nice big modern shower. Everything worked and the check in was fast and efficient. The only down for me was that room service is only until 22:00.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GMWillowLake, Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Enigma15

Thank you so much for your kind review on the Protea Hotel Willow Lake. Your comments keep our TEAM motivated to keep on striving for excellence, we appreciate the time taken
to give us your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

________________________________________________________________________
Deputy General Manager
Tel: 051 412 5400

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I always enjoy my stay at Protea Hotel Willow Lake, the decor provides a tranquil environment and I enjoy the rooms, especially the daring open shower! Fits in perfectly!

Image at reception was excellent on check in and very helpful and enthusiastic!

Great job Blanche!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Meryl-Lee V

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Willow Lake!
GUEST feedback is the only way we can truly know if we are meeting our GUEST expectations, your
comments are truly invaluable to us and will be shared with our TEAM, thank you once again.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

________________________________________________________________________
Deputy General Manager
Tel: 051 412 5400
Johannesburg
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I slept at the hotel only for one night.

I had a really nice stay. The reception person was very friendly and was very efficient in handling my booking. The room itself was very nice and very comfortable. I must be honest , I slept like a baby, I did not get a chance to explore the TV and other things. The bed was very comfortable and reminded me of my own bed back home. I was alone so taking a shower in an open plan room was not a problem. I think they should have built a wall or something to separate the bedroom from the shower . Even twin bed , rooms have open plan rooms. Some people may not be comfortable to take a shower while their colleague or friend is watching. It comes to the lack of privacy.

The breakfast was just normal. I believe that breakfasts are almost the same in every hotel. The service from the hotel staff was very good , no complaints there.

Nice and clean hotel. I will definitely sleep there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
GMWillowLake, Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Tshepo M

Thank you so much for your valued feedback and rating, they assist us to strive for service excellence!
We are so humbled by your enjoyment of our property and our STAFF, we will ensure our personnel receive your comments.

The Protea Hotel Willow Lake have also noted your views regarding the privacy of our rooms, we do have a curtain in all our Twin/Sharing rooms to
assist with privacy and we hope to have this implemented in all our King rooms in future as well, thank you once again.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the Protea Hotel Willow Lake soon, please do not hesitate to give us more feedback with your next stay, it has truly been helpful.

Have a wonderful day.

Rooms Division/Deputy General Manager
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is fine rooms are small but comfortable. However it is noisy you can hear the neighboors.

The location next to the zoo is nice. Also the food is decent and service is friendly. Yet not confincing enough to make it a great hotel.

When you are a protea member you get a lot of benefits that other can not person I travel with is platinum so that is why we are here otherwise i would look around for another hotel. But for a short stay it is no punishment to be here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GMWillowLake, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear guidoven

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Willow Lake – Bloemfontein.

It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay, however not so good to hear that you did not have a GREAT stay as this is what we strive to offer our GUESTS.

I apologize for the noise from the neighbours, we do try and keep the noise levels down in the Hotel, however not always possible.

I hope we can welcome you back in South Africa in the near future, and once again thank you for your feedback.

I Trust the above meets with your approval, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2014

First and foremost, I would like to praise this hotel for its excellent location to most attractions. I just enjoyed that it's a few minutes walk to Waterfront and Mimosa malls.

The reception is good although very small. I was disappointed by the layout of the rooms, the size of these rooms are small as slum village room. They provide shower only. It's not good to visit this hotel with your family.

At Protea hotels I visited before, as a Prokard member, I do request an early check-in, but to my amazement I was denied that privilege of which was a big turn-off fore me. I arrived at 11H00, they said the room was not ready. I went out and came back around 12H30, still the room was not ready. It seemed as if that didn't care to prioritise for the patron who was already there. I had to wander on the streets until 14H00. I made my mind then that next time I'm in Bloem I will stay at my usual hotel: Protea Hotel Bloemfontein, it is very good.

Coming to the food, the night I was in there, the dinner was not appetizing, even the staff at the kitchen (chefs) were not friendly. I liked the area outside the dining area that you can eat while watching animals walking up and down.

Credits go to the lady who was cleaning the rooms (Mary is the name if am not mistaken), she was so friendly and helped me to see the animals from the windows which helped me to take some few shots. Without her I wouldn't have seen the animals. They charge R45 to enter the Zoo.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the upper floor facing the zoo
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Boo-ngane

Please accept my apologies for your dinner experience. We strive to cater to all request, but this is not always possible.

Our check-in time is 14h00, however if you requested an early arrival this should have been attended to. I will definitely follow up, and deal with the STAFF members that was responsible for this.

Thank you so much for your positive comment regarding Mary (the room attendant), and will most definitely relay your comments to her.

Unfortunately the zoo is the property of the Municipality, and therefore they decide on the entrance fee which we are contracted to charge our GUESTS that do enter the zoo.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, and your comments will be addressed.

Hope you have a great day further.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great location, close to shopping malls, zoo and schools. Unfortunately no family rooms, which is disappointing considering you are so close to the zoo. Roller beds were also all booked up, so book early to avoid kids with no beds! Great restaurants within walking distance, vibey and buzzing night life too.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the zoo, request a room slightly higher up so you don't look directly into...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GMWillowLake, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Jennifer196807

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Willow Lake – Bloemfontein.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations, and without comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong.

I must agree with you that the location of the Hotel is perfect, and close by to everything one would need while visiting Bloemfontein. Unfortunately we do not have family rooms, however there are 12 inter leading rooms which one can reserve in the future. This is two standard rooms with a door between the two rooms.

It’s always wonderful to know that our GUESTS enjoyed their stay, and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Have a lovely day further.

GENERAL MANAGER
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We arrived on Saturday evening around 18h00. The very big front door made from beautiful woods is very impressive.
Room was on the 4th floor over looking the Zoo. Rooms was perfect for a good nights rest. Loved the funky colour lights in the shower.

Walking around the hotel seeing animals so close up makes you forget about the drive and that your are right in the city.

Yes around 23h00 the fire alarm did go off which was scary, but when checking the corridor no other guest were evacuating and there no sign of fire or smell of smoke. Beds been so comfortable I had no problem going straight back to sleep.

Breakfast was good, I loved the short bread.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
GMWillowLake, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear kimroberts7574

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on TripAdvisor.

We really appreciate all comments from our GUESTS to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding all our GUEST`s expectations.

I must agree with you that the door to the entrance of the Hotel is unique, and was specially made to create a "WOW" first impression.

I apologize for the noise when the fire alarm went off, however it is a tool to safeguard our GUESTS.

I will convey your compliments regarding our short bread to our Chef.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards