“Exceeded our expectations”

Villa Bali Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a pleasant surprise we had when we visited the hotel. The staff were exceptionally friendly on our arrival and we felt right at home. The family room was very spacious, clean and well fitted out. The next morning our cars windscreen awaited us, covered in a blanked to protect it from the frost. What a kind gesture!! In future we will definitely stay there. Well done to the management and staff.

Room Tip: Room 16& 17 are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Hello! It breaks my heart to write this but my partner booked a valentines day romantic getaway at the villa Bali boutique hotel because of my love for the east! Besides a few asian inspires artifacts, there was hardly anything 'bali' about the rooms. Also, we booked the suite and when we got there, we were told that it was unavailable as there was a couple who booked it before us. Rather disappointing to hear that when we already arrived. Nonetheless, the staff were friendly despite the fact that nothing was done to compensate us.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I think some of the other reviews may be a bit harsh.We found it to be good value for money and ideal for a short stay. We stayed one night while our son played cricket at Grey College which was convenient as the school is nearby. Everything worked and our room was clean. Nothing to complain about unless you want to be nitpicking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Louis M
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed one night on our way back to Gauteng. A beautifully laid out and decorated hotel, quite luxurious. Check in was quick and simple and the chap very helpful and friendly. Our room on the bottom floor in the courtyard was beautiful, a nice size, well furnished and very comfortable. The kingsize bed is one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The bathroom spacious and well appointed. We opted for take aways from a restaurant at the mall which we ate in the courtyard & the staff were very obliging in helping us set up a table with crockery & utensils. As a stopover en route or for business I would recommend this hotel as we could not fault anything.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rozzie1Joburg
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I must admit I booked into the Villa Bali without taking a peek at trip advisor first, I was in a rush :-(

Arrived at Villa Bali and initial thoughts were positive, it has a good location just out of the main city but near to Nelson Mandela Road and is easy to find and has sufficient secure parking.

Check-in was simple and the staff were very polite, although once given my key to my room I found that I was on the ground floor of their "relaxing courtyard", only to find ~20 people having a party at the top of their voices. Non the less, I went into my room expected the noise to dampen down which unfortunately did not happen. The architecture of the building is thin, the doors are thin without insulation and I might as well have joined in their party, if I wasn't so tired after travelling all morning.

The room was very nicely decorated and in excellent repair, nice large bed but if you are over 6ft you will struggle. Lots of cushions everywhere, working desk, tea / coffee etc, good size wardrobe and small lockable safe. A nice touch was a torch in the cupboard but then I wonder if they have lots of power problems, I didn't experience one though.

Whilst I tried to unpack in the room, the noise outside was becoming greater and also thudding from a room above mine. I was quietly hoping everyone would move on but nope they were settled down for the night, a further clue of the longevity of their disturbance was indicated by the strong smell of smoke coming under the door. When I opened the door, there was a Braai (BBQ) about 4 ft from the door bellowing out smoke.

At that point I decided to go to reception to see if they had any other rooms, the receptionist was very polite and did offer me another room. Whilst she was polite, it would of been useful if they had explained that there was a large party going on in the afternoon / evening. Or perhaps the hotel should of advised their party guests to try and keep the noise down or move inside the bar areas.

My new room was upstairs at the back, I was advised this room did not have a bath but by that time I would probably have taken anything. There are no lifts, there are no staff to help you so you have to carry your bags up a flight of wooden steps to the 1st floor. The new room was similar to the ground floor room, but thankfully quieter (at least I couldn't hear the party) but there were a lot of dogs barking from the back. Not a problem for me as I am used to dogs but my colleague in another room on the 1st floor was kept awake by them. The room was clean except the carpet was quite badly stained.

There is no restaurant at Villa Bali, it does have a nice breakfast though. We went out both nights we were there and there are good restaurants around the area.

My first night at the Villa Bali was awful, whilst the party did eventually finish some of the guests were located on the 1st floor and elected to speak as loud as they could. Then you have the added pain of being able to hear "everything" that occurs in the neighbouring rooms and walkways. This includes voices / TV / Bathroom (water / taps / plumbing).

The bed in my room was also very uncomfortable, old and with "worn dips" on either side.

Worst night sleep ever in South Africa and bleary eyed I headed down for breakfast which thankfully was great.

I did order a taxi via the reception which managed to arrive 20 minutes after it was booked. I'd either always drive or find a local taxi number you can rely on. The staff have their favourite and expensive drivers / tour guides.

The 2nd night at the Villa Bali was quieter (no party) but still more noise than I would of expected and the bed was just as uncomfortable, I was up early for a flight so this time I probably disturbed all of the other guests.

Overall this is a hotel unsure of what it wants to be, with some better planning they could dampen probably 70% of the ambient noise. Whilst the hotel advertises how relaxing your stay will be, it doesn't live up to any expectation in that manner.

It also has a "business" area for presentations etc, so expect groups + noise.

There is an honesty bar, quite well equipped.

The standard of the furnishing / fittings are good, the staff are polite but this is not a Boutique Hotel hence the average rating. I was pleased to get out of it to be honest, which is a first for my in SA.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 1st floor on the back at the right hand side, there is some road noise but...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank OneWayorReturnPlease
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Arrived at the 'hotel' having pre booked and paid a deposit to fing our room had yet to be vacated. Two hours later we were still being asked to wait, this after a 250mile drive to get there. So much for the luxury. This was nothing more than a very average town centre motel. Situated immediately alongside a major road and overlooking some decidedly dodgy buildings, at no stage did we feel comfortable. The best we can say is that the room was clean. Breakfast OK served by relatively helpful staff. No chance of dinner unless we booked the day before. Local malls OK for fast food or take a cab to the 'Loch Logan' mall.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Glenn G
Reviewed 4 July 2012

It is great to see there are still places that take meticulous care with their establishment. Great place to stay. Comfortable rooms, well laid out. Electric blanket, TV, air con, in fact everything you want from a boutique hotel. The honesty bar is a nice touch for that little nightcap. I will be back.

Stayed: July 2012