“It's OK for a one nighter.”
Review of College Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
College Lodge
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed 17 June 2014

First impressions were good and the friendly staff at reception made one feel very welcome. There seem to be rooms of different standards/quality which is hard to accept if they are rated 'four-star' - one reasonably expects all the rooms to be of a high standard.
My first room had urine on the toilet seat and on the floor next to the WC, it had clearly been used since the last clean, or alternatively, the last clean was poorly executed. The toilet seat itself was also damaged, After I brought the urine issue to their attention, the friendly staff moved me to another room. Both of the rooms I saw were two, or maybe three, star standard. The furnishings and fittings were a trifle jaded but the linen was crisp and clean. Very limited TV options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank omegacon

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent service!! Friendly and kind staff members!!! The Cat is so cute and let you feel at home!! The rooms are cosy! The breakfast is lovely!! Clean rooms! College Lodge is quality!!!! The Staff members are awesome! Troubles is the best!!! (Cat) Thank you!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My third review for the lodge, and this time I am not coming back. Previous time I was very upset, but I had enough.
Front desk service was good. She even agreed on late check out, so I cant complain about her.
The room was ok. At least clean this time.
Breakfast was the disaster this time. I had a guest with me. When we got there there was basically no food left. No glasses, no plates, No fruit, and basically no warm food. That was all ok. I am not a big eater in the morning, so that didnt upset me to mush. I ordered 2 omelets. I stood there, with two plates, and the lady gave my one omelet to another guest. Some important guy from the army. That was it. The ladies only response was that she will prepare me another one. So my guest had to eat alone, while I had to wait for another one.
The excuse was that they had an unexpected group of people. That was not my problem, and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Lynn0416
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I wanted overnight accommodation in Bloemfontein in Apr '14. I sent an e-mail enquiry and one on their website two days ago. When I didn't receive a reply after a day, I called and a lady, Arne told me the email adress was for the manager and she was away. She gave me another one for Reception.
I emailed that address but two days later, still no response. Very poor service unless, of course, they are so busy they don't need my business.
Judging by some of the reviews, it's maybe just as well we don't go there, anyway.
JOHN AND ALICIA

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Terrible attitude. Substandard Rooms. Irrational no-alcohol policy. Unprofessional staff. Overinflated (tripled) rates. Dirty pool. Unfriendly staff. Difficult booking process. Non-communicated three-night booking policy.

d

Room Tip: Maybe if you choose an outside patio or balcony room you might have better luck enjoying the lodge.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Benita2013
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Must have been in better shape before slip-sliding into grubby and dated. Carpets stained and splotchy. Ceilings, walls and furniture grubby and stained. Courtesy coffee and tea has only two sachets of sugar and no rooibos tea.
After a sleepless night went for a walk around the gardens back and front of lodge at 2h00 in the early hours for an hour.
No sign anywhere of the security guard and the desk clerk was sprawled asleep at the desk . When we questioned the clerk the next morning when we booked out as to where the security guard was we were told that he was on duty all night. Not on our watch though and not such a good idea if he sleeps somewhere in a little hidden spot, especially in view of the fact that there are no closed gates onto the street and that the cars parked and the guests are certainly not secure.
On the plus side though ,the beds are good and the rates reasonable

Room Tip: Street facing rooms are very noisy due to the fact that the are half a block away from Nelson Mandel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tamzon d
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed here so many times. Never had any problems. Everytime it was clean, good service, decent breakfast. But this time, when I checked in 10.30 pm, I had to move rooms, because the room was not made. It was probably a huge misunderstanding or something from the hotel, but it was not funny. not that time of the vening. They moved me to a aother room, and that one was perfectly clean, as I know them. It didnt look like the hotel employees took it very seriously.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business