“Good value, good location”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Protea hotel for 2 nights while visiting family in Bloemfontein.
The location is very central in Bloemfontein and close to a large shopping mall.

The room we had was very clean and very comfortable. We had a 'family room' - 2 double beds for us and the kids and we found it to be quite spacious with all the usual amenities. The free wifi was a bonus and it worked well for all our devices. It is not common to get free wifi in South African hotels and we were really glad that the quality and ease of connection was good.
The staff are friendly and always offering assistance or advice.

We did not use the restaurant but found the service in the lounge area fantastic when we relaxed in the evenings for a few drinks. Being mid winter we also did not use the pool or other outside entertainment areas but all of them looked very welcoming.

We have had some nasty surprises with some B & B's in Bloem and will definitely return to this Protea hotel because of the guarantee of peace of mind.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear niviromi

We are glad that you and your family had a good time in Bloemfontein an that we were able to make your stay a memorable one.

We strive to meet and exceed GUEST expectations, so it is very rewarding to hear that we have been successful and that our efforts don’t go unrecognised. I will be sure to share your comments with the TEAM.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back soon to the City of Roses.

Kind Regards
Protea Hotel Bloemfontein

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Staff reception great, room's clean and comfortable. Dinning experience extremely poor 3 times running. Food always cold. Food quality less than that of a 2 star. Service extremely poor. Previous visit 15 minutes to get a fried egg. This visit 15 minutes before anyone was interested in taking my drinks order. 2 tables next to me probably dieing of thirst by now. Both my previous visits have brought this to the hotel attention. Either speaking to a manager or completing their comments card are just a futile waste of time. I will be informing management on my departure of this review. Do not waste your money!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel was in a good location for the university, in walking distance in fact. It was quiet and the room had everything I needed. The breakfast spread was wonderful. There were seating areas in the dining room, lobby, conservatory and poolside, so there was a good choice of where to take a coffee or lunch break. I also had a salad from the bar menu, which was fine. My only criticism is that the wifi connection was terrible. I could hardly access it at all from my room, and it wasn't great from the lobby either.

Room Tip: There are two connected buildings. If you want to use wifi, ask to be in the same building as the re...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Katherine L, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear lmliH

We are delighted to hear that you found our facilities and accommodation at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein to your satisfaction and within ideal location to the University of the Free State.
We will be sure to pass on your compliments to our Kitchen brigade for the good breakfast spread - we are glad to hear you had a good start to each day.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by disruption to the wifi connectivity, this is not a frequent occurrence or complaint and we will continue to monitor this very closely.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Bloemfontein again in the future.

Yours in hospitality

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel in terms of clean rooms, crisp white sheets and very modern. My room was on the second floor of the main building and there were a few issues with that. Smoking from guests and specially cigars came directly to the room which was horrible. Also this place is NOISY, it reminded me of hospital rooms, bright and early there is all kind of action so be up and about early? 5.30 the action with vacuum and cleaning staff starts.
I did not eat I the restaurant so can't comment on food but the front desk staff are super nice. I needed several items most important a plug converting US to South Africa, found one.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Katherine L, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Lyah78

We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to try our utmost to improve where possible.

We are happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and enjoyed the modern feel and fresh linen as well as a suitable plug adaptor.

We do have a very limited number of smoking rooms allocated on the second floor and will most definitely take your comments into consideration to source a solution regarding the smell.

Your comment regarding the noise in the mornings is being addressed in a very serious light and we will continue to monitor this very closely.

I am delighted that our Front Desk TEAM looked after you and will be sure to pass on your compliments to them.

We do hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Bloemfontein again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Had the misfortune of being booked in to this hotel by my client. For starters, the aircon in my room didn't work and it was freezing cold. The windows faced Nelson Mandela Drive which is a busy main artery so the noise was non-stop and very loud throughout the night. The food at the restaurant was beyond appalling and the service was non-existent. I have to say, the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. Small mercies! Should I be booked in here again, I will promptly leave.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, avoid rooms 300-499 - they are street facing and very noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear FussyOz

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein.

We are glad to hear that you found our Reception TEAM pleasant and helpful; we will be sure to pass on your compliments to them.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced regarding the restaurant and your room. The inconvenience which you experienced is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve and I can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein again, that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy your stay.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We were returning from Knysna and our trip had been longer than expected so when we booked into the prepaid booking at the Protea Hotel in Bloemfontein at 21h09 we were all tired and really just looking forward to a good meal and a good bed to sleep in before our final leg of the trip the next day.
We asked the lady at reception if the restaurant was still open which she replied, yes, so we proceeded to the restaurant where we were told that it was carvery only and that was all that was available. No problem! We were tired enough and happy to take the carvery.
Firstly, most of the staff were already leaving and it was quite hard to find assistance, secondly we were met with dried old leftovers of lamb and chicken which we could not chew as it was so old. The vegetables were long over cooked and the bread rolls so stale we could not finish them. I am also almost sure the cheese I tried had gone off from standing for so long and the pudding was not edible. Really, all we needed was for someone to tell us the carvery was finished and we would have ordered room service or gone to the nearest take away but they still enraged us when our bill came to over R700 for my 14yr old daughter and 2 adults!
The staff were basically disinterested so when I complained in the morning I knew not much would be done!
This hotel does not deserve to even have a 3 star rating!
I went to bed wondering what else had been left without attention...were my sheets fresh? Not a great experience and a huge waste of money!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alison H

Dear Alison H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at our hotel. GUEST feedback is important to us as we continuously strive for excellence.

I was disappointed to read your comments and I apologise for how you felt about your stay. I fully understand your need for a meal and comfortable bed after a day of travelling, which we failed to deliver. I can confirm that the TEAM is well aware of your frustration and that I will be monitoring this very closely to ensure that our GUESTS receive the best service.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to experience true Protea hospitality. Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me directly at gm@phbloemfontein.co.za.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Bad experience for me, spent 3 days at Fire & Ice Cape Town(where I had a wonderful experience) then came straight to Bloem, with a dead battery on my cellphone could not find the hotel as it's supposed to be on Nelson Mandela drive, drove to the nearest Protea Hotel I came across, the lady at reception called the Nelson Mandela Drive hotel, they only picked up the phone after 20 minutes, please work on your signage on Nelson Mandela Drive especially when you drive from the airport and have a footnote telling guests that you are off NM drive. I was very upset, still am.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronza2014
Katherine L, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Ronza2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely concerned to hear that you had a bad experience when trying to reach the hotel and do hope that once you arrived and got settled that everything else met your expectations. I am sure that after a long day, air flight and then the frustrations of a flat cell phone battery anyone would be upset when one cannot find the hotel timeously.

We will most definitely monitor our incoming lines so as to ensure there are no problems. We have highlighted this with the Front Office TEAM and will continue to monitor.

I do believe that you have stayed with us since this and your concerns were addressed personally after this unfortunate experience.

We appreciate your feedback and will, where possible, make the necessary directional signage improvements for a better GUEST experience.

Yours in hospitality