“Authentic African Lodge”

Ranked #13 of 37 Benoni B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Authentic African Lodge”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My partner and I stayed at Mo Afrika for 3 nights from 3rd September 2012. We were met at the airport and transferred to the lodge. We were given a warm welcome by the staff and showed to our room. The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious with a powerful shower room. We had no doubt we were at last in Africa with the traditional African Decor. I enjoyed relaxing on the chair swings with a beer and a book. The three dogs were very playful and loved the attention. There is also a small pool for guests to cool off and sunbeds to relax on. The food was lovely, great selection and the staff very friendly. We went on four excursions booked through the lodge. The guides were excellent and would recommend the Lion Park, Lesedi African Village and Soweto were we drank some beer with the locals. Overall we had a fantastic 3 night stay and would have no hesitation in returning and would recommend it to anyone looking for a stopover. We paid £528 for two people including breakfast, dinner and 4 excursions. Thanks to Anthony and his team for a wonderful stay, especially Rosini for her fantastic cooking and Margaret who sang soothing songs whilst she worked.

Room Tip: We were in Room 2 and had no problems sleeping, even with the cockerals nearby.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Thumbs up to Anthony & his team for running this nice cozy lodge in Joburg. We stayed here for 2 nights en route to Kruger, and the place lives up to the expectations. From reservation to sent off to airport we received excellent customer service and attention. Anthony's friendly and very helpful, and we simply have to mention Andrew and the staff as well - that's what we call service with a smile. Will definitely return if we have opportunity to travel to South Africa in future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I found MoAfrika through tripadvisor, and based on the positive reviews, affordability, free airport pick up and drop off, and the fact that I could go on a day trip to Johannesburg and Soweto through MoAfrika, I decided to book it.

MoAfrika was my last accommodation on my 4-and-a-half week long trip in Southern Africa. After living in a volunteer house my first week, camping for 20 days and being in a hostel for 2 nights, MoAfrika was like paradise. I booked a standard single room. The bed sheets were like brand new (but unfortunately I got a sore back from the soft mattress). The moment I saw my room and the living room I was wishing I could stay there for more than one night. Love the African décor of the place. It has a nice homey feel to it. I also liked that it was in a quiet area, away from the noisy city. The owner, Anthony, was very friendly, as well as Andrew and the drivers I had. The other travelers I met there were also nice. And if you like dogs, they have three. There was free wi-fi as well.

Unfortunately I threw up at night and in the morning what I ate for dinner so I wasn’t well to enjoy the breakfast included. I wanted to take a shower in the morning but didn’t get hot water (I wasn’t told until I asked later that I had to turn the knob a certain way). Luckily I was well enough to still go on the day trip. The trip was alright (I was really tired), and we could have spent our whole morning at Constitution Hill if we hadn’t told our driver/guide that we wanted to see other parts of Johannesburg. We got back from the day trip later than we were supposed to but with enough time for me to take a nice warm shower.

I would have given MoAfrika 5-stars if I was picked up on time at the airport (I waited an hour), if I didn’t throw up my dinner (although it might not be the dinner’s fault), if I had a hot shower when I wanted it, and if the day trip was a bit more organized. I would definitely recommend MoAfrika to others and consider booking it again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Wonderful Place. This place is the only option! Great rooms. good people. the food is lekker. they pick u up at airport. Humn... what else, there is nothing i can say negative. really feel like a friend there

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Mo-afrika – what an awesome place! I have stayed there twice now and use it as a base for ortambo and kruger etc. It’s like a five star boutique hotel at back packer prices. The mattresses are very comfortable and the beds are kitted out with modern and comfortable linen. It’s the closest thing to the bed I sleep on at home. Lovely home cooked food. Genuinely friendly staff and there is always a nice chatty and interesting crowd.
Whilst there I was picked up for an awesome tour at Kruger Park and spent considerable time at two great malls near by.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice, I have slept in three of them.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My parner and I stayed at MoAfrika before and after a 4 day Kruger safari, at the end of a busy 3 week trip througout South Africa. Anthony and his team run a great place...a very special and loud shout out to Andrew, who was always helpful and friendly!

A special bonus for my fellow dog lovers out there - Anthony has 3 great big, lovable dogs who love hanging out with you on the porch. These big ol' dogs are nothing but heart, but if dogs aren't your thing....

Anthony picked us us promptly from the airport, which was greatly appreciated as that we learned that very little happens on-time in South Africa (all the more time to look at the amazing surroundings and breathe that wonderful South African air!). While we were there we had some trouble with our mobile phone service, which made talking to our kids in the US really difficult. Anthony to the rescue....he drove us to a nearby store, had us purchase international minutes for his phone, and then handed his phone over so we could call the kids. Greatly appreciated!

One glitch while we were there - because of an over-booking we had to move rooms, which was annoying (at this point in time we had three weeks of less than clean clothes shoved into our suitcases). Anthony appeared genuinely sorry for the hassle, and gave us a discount on our bill. Well played, sir!

All in all, MoAfrika is a great place to stay. It's a bit removed from the city, which made for great sleeping and beautiful sunrises.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 July 2012

iwent to Africa and istayed many places one of the place was MOAFRIKA LODGE but was very supper number one and the people were herlpfull

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 187323Maggie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Sunrock Guesthouse
Sunrock Guesthouse
#2 of 26 in Kempton Park
Kopanong Hotel and Conference Centre
Summer Garden Guest House (The Palms)
Curiocity Backpackers
Curiocity Backpackers
#1 of 111 in Johannesburg
Outlook Lodge Lakefield
Africa Paradise - Airport Guest Lodge and Travel Centre

Been to MoAfrika Lodge? Share your experiences!