“Intolerable! What a cheek!”
Review of MoAfrika Lodge

MoAfrika Lodge
Ranked #9 of 36 Benoni B&B and Inns
Ludwigsburg, Germany
“Intolerable! What a cheek!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The lodge is close to the airport and the building itself is okay but gloomy. The beds are warm and comfty, the rooms cold and dark, nice bathrooms and hot water.
We stayed here one night, then travelled for 10 days and stayed again one night before flying home. We booked this hotel because transfer from and to the airport was offered.
The first time we had to wait for 2 full hours before we were collected. I had given my mobile phone number so we could be contacted if anything was wrong but nothing happened. We just waited and waited and had to asked ourselves whether they would still come. After 2 hours a driver came. His explanation was that he had to take some other guests to the lodge because they didn't want to wait for us. It takes half an hour to get to the lodge and back. We waited for 2 hours. Well...
When we left I talked to the receptionist and told him our flight number, carrier, date, arrival time and specifically asked to not wait that long.
The second time we waited for 2.5 hours. It was unbelievable. I had told the owner that I couldn't make calls because it was superexpensive to make calls in South Africa with a European phone. Finally I didn't see any other alternative than calling. And this is when the drama began. The owner told me that the driver had been there but we hadn't - which was simply a blatant lie. We had been standing at the appointed place for 2.5 hours. It was outrageous, really. Then I was told I should have called from the beginning - right! - We remember that I didn't want to make calls because of the costs... It was then that he told me I could have made a call from the information desk for free. Thank you for telling me AFTERWARDS.
Finally a driver made his way to us and took us to the lodge. The receptionist we had talked to 10 days earlier told us that he was so sorry. Perhaps I hadn't given the flight number to the lodge? I told him I did. Perhaps my e-mail didn't reach them. I told him I had talked to him IN PERSON, and he had written all the information down. Lies, lies, lies... We were so angry.
When we wanted to have dinner, rice was out, vegetables were out, beef was out, stew was out, African beer was out, tea was out. Aha. They advertise Internet access (we wanted to check in). Guess what - the Internet didn't work.
Bed sheets and towels had stains.
Never again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Dan831984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Can't help but notice that some reviewers will always need a 5 star accommodation to be satisfied. No matter where in the world they go. Complain about soap? If you're looking for an amazing get away stop outside of Jo'burg this place is great. Very friendly and helpful staff. My friends and I stayed for 5 days before an Acacia overland tour. While it is a 20 minute ride into town the staff will provide transportation for very reasonable fares. The food was great( again, not a 5 star resort but good). The rooms are spacious and cozy. Great place to meet people from all over the world. Great community vibe.

Room Tip: Ask about tours of Jo'burg, Soweto!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marquis W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here after arriving in the evening and drove ourselves, so can't address the airport shuttle. It is at the end of a dirt road outside of town, so you aren't in a good spot to walk to alternative dining or shopping areas. The hotel seemed to have a number of people staying here as part of a package tour or who had signed up for various tours.

The room was quite small. We were in one of the rooms just off the main lobby and the bathroom was so tiny that the door only opened in ~1' before hitting the toilet and you had to squeeze by to enter. It had a modern, glass sink, but was leaking beneath (I repaired it by hand-tightening the trap). The shower, on the other hand, was a nice-sized space with a glass wall, so at least the rest of the room stayed dry! They also provided a blow-dryer and there was a good-sized closet in the room. There was also a public bathroom/shower off the lobby if you needed it.

I see others have remarked about the cold. My friends in the other room discovered that the white flat panel that blends into the wall is in fact the heater! Would have been nice to know that in advance, but they provided a large and warm extra blanket that kept me comfortable overnight.

there were other rooms that seemed larger, but had sliding glass doors off the veranda. These may well have been the 'dorm rooms.' I found myself accidentally walking into someone else's room when I was trying to go to the restaurant!

Internet access poor in the rooms, fair in the public areas. You need to ask for the wireless password as they don't freely offer it. They also have a computer available for public use if needed. Some of the furniture was in poor condition - one of the chairs in the lobby had a chair that had one leg falling off. In the restaurant there is also a large sectional in the tv area.

Breakfast was included, was eggs, bacon, toast, yogurt, cereal. There were a few dinner options available. Soft drink options were limited, even had trouble getting refrigerated water. there were only a couple of tables, so you usually need to share the table with someone and sometimes it can be tough to find a seat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a stopover before flying. Choose this because of location close to the airport. Other than that it is an area far away from the city, so would not recommend it if you don't have a car.
Rooms very spacious en simply furnished yet clean.
Staff is super friendly although you some times have to ask things twice.

• Stayed July 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I booked this hotel on the internet while in Zanzibar for holiday and I needed to stay over in JHB because I had a stop over of 8 hours. I found the place neat and spacious, the room was cold but had a airconditioner.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Springbokki
Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at this location in june for one night only...thank god for that... What can i say besides it was a major mistake, the food was horrible, the room was freezing, no soap, huges dogs sleeping under our windows, dangerous electrical instalation... Lost in the middle of an industrial area... Avoid avoid AVOID!!!!!!!

Room Tip: None... I do not believe there is any good room in this place
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aiga1965
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and chose the location due to proximity to the airport. Overall the lodge is nicely furnished. we were happy with hot showers although the beds were very uncomfortable and there was no wifi. Unfortunately the service let them down; our airport pickup was forgotten about, nothing was explained to us on arrival and the staff seemed indifferent to any requests. We payed to stay in the 6 bed dorm but there was actually 8 beds, none of which were made up (perhaps they had forgotten our booking)!

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Safari Club Hotel
Safari Club Hotel
#14 of 26 in Kempton Park
Summer Garden Guest House (The Palms)
Outlook Lodge
Outlook Lodge
#1 of 36 in Benoni
African Silhouette Guesthouse
Lakeview Boutique Hotel & Conference Center
The Lakes Hotel and Conference Center

Been to MoAfrika Lodge? Share your experiences!