“Sad - We won't be back.”
Review of Papa Boa

Papa Boa
Ranked #21 of 78 Restaurants in Benoni
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We trust you will enjoy your meal with the same satisfaction as the age old Cristovao's Crew did all those years ago when first setting foot on the shores of Africa - Come celebrate in a true Portuguese Way!
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Sad - We won't be back.”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Having tried Papa Boa in May and having had quite a good time, we decided to try it again this last weekend. We were horribly disappointed.

I must admit that I was a little hesitant since the ambiance and menu selection wasn't all that great, as I stated in my last review. I resigned myself to an average dining experience.

The noise level in this restaurant is incredibly loud and the ambiance hasn't been improved on so one wonders if the interested parties (owners/managers etc.) actually know about these reviews? I think not. If I had a business that was being rated online (and I'm pretty sure most business owners would take the time to check) then I would read and listen to what the customers are saying, but then again - if the majority are happy, then so be it. In this instance, the noise level was so high that we could barely make out the music...

The restaurant was cold and we enquired if the air-con could be set at a slightly higher temperature but were told that it wasn't on.

We ordered the Haloumi (Grilled) and Chorizo starter, the Roast beef (with chips option) and T-Bone (with rice and veggie option). Haloumi was served with the normal bottled Sweet Chilli sauce minus the lemon. Very dry.

The sausage was brought to the table "flaming" and looking spectacular (also added to the lack of heat in the restaurant) but the smell of Meths overpowered the Cane spirits. Meths? Really???

We were amazed and asked our waitron what the flambé mixture was and he confirmed that is was Maths and Cane spirits... Wow! (Give the waitron his due - he did ask if something was wrong when we questioned the flambé mixture, but it's not his fault that the kitchen staff use the cooking methods that they do.) We were not impressed.

Maybe trying a little Sambuca, a Portuguese brandy or even a little sherry would be better. Ease up on the Meths folks - don't you know that it's not the preferred product anymore? I'm not even going to discuss the topic relating to health and consumption ...Please find a different method?

Anyhow, when the flame eventually burnt itself out, the sausage was dry and tasted gross. No sauces accompanied the sausage. Sad.

The roast beef was very nice but the T-bone (ordered Medium) was cut extremely thin and was on the well-done side. The mixed veggies looked as though they had been cooked the week before. The only redeeming feature of this dish was the rice - tasty.

Although, the owner/manager (?) was walking around with an all-important look, he didn't once come to the table for a visit. Not once, when he was in plain sight did he even crack a smile. Very poor indeed - but in hindsight, this must be normal for them because even during our first visit, there was no table visit.

That's it for this restaurant folks - enough said. We won't be going back.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank MeeAndGee
PapaBoaManagment, Owner at Papa Boa, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We do apologize for your experience and we would like to speak to you about this - please contact Jorge on 011-918-4686 or 072 331 2277.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful and cozy”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The food is great, i would say worth the wait! Its very cozy and you feel really welcome when you've been seated, my waitress's name was shereez stunning and very bright young girl, she was friendly and very helpful so are the other waiters. Went back there in january and there best waitress was gone. The service is really good and the food better, they play lovely music and have a very cozy fire place for those cold nights. Keep going you are wonderful :)

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Gregminsaw
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Third time is not a charm”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I try to be fair. Everyone has bad days and since I live close by I tried this place 3 times. I cannot recall when last I had such bad service. Food wasn't worth the wait either. I returned from Europe and just craved a prego roll - thought it was a safe bet at a Portuguese restaurant. It was tough and tasteless. After the 3rd attempt I just wanted to pay and leave. But the bill was wrong. Sigh. How bad can it get? Worst of all; kids loved the play area- but I can't do this service/food again.

• Visited June 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good Food - Good Experience.”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

If you love prawns, then Papa Boa is definitely worth the visit although it would be nice to have a little more selection on the menu.

There are the normal beef, pork, chicken and a few fish dishes available but a nice crab curry and some squid heads done in the traditional style would be an awesome addition.

In the dessert section, although I only tried the Choc Mousse, (which was rich and delicious) the pre-plated presentation is a little out-dated.

The restaurant is upmarket, clean and neat but it would also be far more cosy and intimate if the ambiance is enhanced with a softer lighting and authentic Portuguese background music. The cozy fire-place is a warm welcome for those chilly winter evenings.

Our waitron was Tyson and he was superb!

Overall, a good experience and we will be back to sample a few more dishes, accompanied by a great KWV Merlot.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MeeAndGee
Benoni, South Africa
“Overseas visitor nightmare”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

So my initial review was that this was an outstanding place ... last night... what a disaster ! We took some overseas guests there for a meal, the food took ages to be served and when it eventually came most of the dishes were cold. 4 of the 6 of us had fish. The kingklip thermidore that was on special looked and apparently tasted aweful and as for the sole , it tasted old - definitly not fresh . The people that had the plain beef espatada seemed to be happy, but said they were not sure if the chip oil used was new as it had that old oil taste. How disappointing and a bit embarrassing ! I hope this was just a glich they were experiencing last night and not a sign of things to come.

• Visited May 2013