“Never go there”

Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benoni
Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge
Brussels
“Never go there”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We had a super bad experience there.

1. Free drop off and pick up to the shopping mall, except they forgot to pick us up! We had to call them and waited there from 18.00 (which was the agreed pick up time) till 20.30..
2. We made a booking for a Soweto tour and a visit to the lion park ( fee 1100 ZAR). However, the weather was really bad so the guide advised us to go to the “appartheidsmuseum” instead. He promised us that the balance of 500 ZAR would be refunded. We never got it back…
3. We made a reservation for a drop off at the airport at 5 in the morning – no driver to be found..

So we will never ever go back there!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank belgium28

Business
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Luckily we only booked one night here, we definitely wouldn't go back! We arrived to be greeted by a very rude receptionist - clearly in the wrong profession! Our room didn't have any electricity on arrival (although this did get fixed). Rooms were incredibly basic and not at all inviting.

Fees for transport were very high - we shared a minibus into Johannesburg with 6 other people - they paid the same amount between the 6 of them that we were charged for the 2 of us (£70 return for a 15/20 minute journey!!) The driver even had the cheek to demand a tip on both journeys.

Glad that this hotel was an exception to the South African rule as our other hotel experiences around the country were fantastic.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HampshireTraveller09

Travellers are raving about these Benoni hotels

Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 5 April 2009

This is a cosy place with very neat decorations with African theme. There is a pool, sauna, pool tables, laundry services, secure parking etc. Buildings are painted with very warm colours which gives a nice ambiance. The property is in a very secure cul-de-sac (monitored with cameras). It is located near the airport which makes it a good choice if you are in transit (although the hotel broshures are a bit misleading about the distance to airport). Having said all these positive points, the reception was awfully unhelpful and rude. When we have buzzed the bell by the front door to get access with our car for the first time, apparently due to the problem in the buzzer, the bell repeated several times, which consequently cause the receptionist yelling at us at the intercom. Indeed this was a very unfortunate start, and when we told that we buzzed the bell only once, the receptionist was not apologetic. This bad start marked our experience in this hotel, and not getting the laundry at promised time did not help either. In contrast, the lady at the bar was nice and friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bahadir
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2008

I stayed here for one night and thought it was a great hotel. My room was very clean and the ensuite facilities were great. The staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly. My transfer back to the airport (note it is a one-way trip only that's included free) was on time and went smoothly. I had an amazing breakfast there. The only slight problem was my room service meal went to the wrong room! Otherwise a fantastic place to stay and I would book there again.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Inverness
Reviewed 3 March 2008

Maybe there's been a change in management since the previous reviews as we found the Africa Centre Guest Lodge a great choice for secure transit accommodation close to the airport. Certainly the word "backpacker" has been dropped from their name - our room (for 2 adults and 2 older children) was extremely comfortable and well maintained and was not at all expensive. Uplift from airport late at night and breakfast both included. Breakfast was fine. Small charge for drive back to the airport the next morning and too long to wait. But overall this was a decent experience - there's an inviting pool and the bar (friendly service) was open late.

• Liked — Secure
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 May 2006

I arrived here late at night having reserved a single budget room. I was shown to a cold, damp, smelly garden shed that I wouldn't even keep tools in. When I complained, the staff looked genuinely understanding and said they had lots of complaints. They called the owner who told me I had to take the room or pay for a more expensive room. I thought their advertisement and website were very misleading and I wasn't prepared to give the owners any more money or prepared to find another place at midnight in Jo'burg!

I slept for a few hours in my clothes covering the mattress with my towel. I took their (expensive) airport transfer and left 5 hours before my flight was due to leave - glad to be out of the place. R300 to sleep in a garden shed!

Check the other reviews for the rest of the accommodation they have ...I didn't get to see them but avoid the budget rooms !

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Namibia
Reviewed 10 March 2006

We stayed at Africa Centre in Johannesburg near the Airport on our way to Mauritius the next day. As it was only for "Transit" we only booked a Budget Room. The Budget Rooms are situated behind the Kitchen and noisy almost the whole night. As they are only wooden shacks it is impossible to get a good nights sleep. But the worst was that although everything looked nice and clean on first sight, the mattress was wrotten and smelled as if somebody died on it and was lying there couple of days! Unfortunatley we only noticed that the smell came out of the matress in the early morning hours, to late to try to get another room. At the beginning we thought the smell was coming from outside from a dustbin (as we were behind the kitchen). The next morning, when we complained we only got a lame excuse from managment but no apology. The Free Collection from the Airport went very well and was good organized. But to get back to the Airport again you have to pay R 60.00 per Person for only 15 km, which is quiet expensive. The food was very good and reasonable priced. The Bar is unbelievable expensive and a big board tells you that you are not allowed to bring own Drinks to the Hotel area, not even to your own Room !!! I have never seen these Bar prices any were else, not at any Airport or a more high class Hotel.

10 Thank NamibianTraveler